Skip to content

Match day thread: Cambridge

Comments

• a polished-elm-effect kit in honour of Ercol?

• or maybe a bright pink kit in honour of Bryant and May matches and an award for the "Man of the Bryant and May match"?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Ooh that's a good one - which iconic local business would you design a Wycombe kit in tribute to? ?

Actually (and you probably have to be over 40 to remember this, I think?) there was the department store Murray's. They had a logo which was a kind of houndstooth pattern on a white background...and the houndsteeth (?) were pretty much the colour of the wet cement change kit.

So there we go, wet cement and white houndstooth quarters, that should fly off the shelves.

• if you haven't got a clue what "houndstooth" is, and to be honest I had to Google it, then it's this:

• @micra said:

@perfidious_albion said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Monochrome quarters or just plain black

A monochrome nod to our roots. North Town Wanderers wore black and white, maybe @micra can confirm?

Cheeky! Ask @ChasHarps. Young enough to be my son but, by golly, does he know his stuff when it comes to WWFC trivia (and not so trivia). @EddieMonsoon likewise.

I believe the original kit was Black and Calico !!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Ooh that's a good one - which iconic local business would you design a Wycombe kit in tribute to? ?

Fuzzy Felt. You could add bits to the kit every week to keep it topical. Might be a bit itchy.

Murrays is a good shout. The amount of Subutteo they had on the top floor was amazing.

• Too good to hurry. They should have sponsored (forgets name) that slow but highly skilful midfielder who played for Wycombe 15 - 20 years ago. Actually it wasn’t Murray’s.

Well, that went well!

• Played/managed Barnet.

• Trying to work out whereabouts in town that is/was?

• That shape on the floor might give you a clue.

• @drcongo said:
    That shape on the floor might give you a clue.

? Tbh I'm usually too glued to my phone to notice the floor

• In my memory, it was as big as Selfridges in there.

Awesome Pick and Mix section as you walked in - my nan would regularly top up her handbag full of butterscotch sweets, individually wrapped in gold foil. Toys section on the top floor. Bloke operating the lift while sat in it on a chair- steady job that. Cafe up on the top floor, which I think was the fourth, next to the toy store. Exit onto White Hart Street too. And a clock that use to rise and fall in the stairwell.

• When I was very young I used to refuse to leave the store until the clock had made its way down to the ground floor.

• Never mind Murrays, What about McIlroys? In Murrays, the cash was moved around through pneumatic tubes but McIlroys had overhead wires which conveyed the cash to the cash desk in a wooden cubicle. Grand old building and pulled down for the then-new M&S store which is now Primark.

• Murrays wow, that's brought back some childhood memories, agree the pick and mix was legendary ! Forgot about the clock !

• I'd forgotten about that clock too. Weird how seeing the picture brought back so many memories.

• I'm still trying to work out where that is, but the textured wall at the top kind of looks like the old outside of the Octagon? Idk, I've only lived in Wycombe since the late 90s.

• I had an aunt who worked in the cafe on the top floor of Murrays back in the day. What a treat it was when we went to the cafe and then via the pick & mix on the way out - the baskets really were enormous. What happened to the old clock, it was a wonderous thing?

As a further derailment - my father was actually born in a house on the alley which used to run down beside Murrays off White Hart Street.

• @wingnut said:
    Never mind Murrays, What about McIlroys? In Murrays, the cash was moved around through pneumatic tubes but McIlroys had overhead wires which conveyed the cash to the cash desk in a wooden cubicle. Grand old building and pulled down for the then-new M&S store which is now Primark.

@wingnut, here's a picture of McIlroys (apologies for linking to the BFP)

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/18453196.former-high-wycombe-department-store---pann-mill-used-look/

• Yes, it was a handsome building and looked just like their even bigger store in Broad Street Reading/ I understood that M & S was thinking of altering it and staying there but found too much work needed doing so it was easier to pul it down. I don't remember the shop next food being Turners. It was always G E Stevens corn shop and that went with McIlroys..

• Sorry I could not correct the two Typos above but I got frozen out and this message:-
    Service Unavailable
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

• @ReturnToSenda directions from yesteryear - walking along the High Street past McDonald’s and the Falcon on your left, cross the road, into the Octagon and keep walking past Mothercare and a few other shops, and that view will eventually be in front of you.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @ReturnToSenda directions from yesteryear - walking along the High Street past McDonald’s and the Falcon on your left, cross the road, into the Octagon and keep walking past Mothercare and a few other shops, and that view will eventually be in front of you.

Ahhh, I know where you mean now

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@LeedsBlue said:
    @ReturnToSenda directions from yesteryear - walking along the High Street past McDonald’s and the Falcon on your left, cross the road, into the Octagon and keep walking past Mothercare and a few other shops, and that view will eventually be in front of you.

The shape on the floor was an octagon.

• @drcongo said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LeedsBlue said:

Oh ffs

• I do wonder why clubs don't put more stock in the psychology of color. I actually think the team look more confident in the red and white than the week-old dried mustard, and red seems to be a dominant colour in general, with the three most successful clubs in English history wearing it. Obviously the home will always be quartered blue (I hope!) but with the change kit, I think it's worth looking for any tiny edge we can get. I also read that there was a study on goalie kits, with red being assessed as the colour most likely to make players miss. Could all be bullocks, but worth a look.

• @Shev said:

I also read that there was a study on goalie kits, with red being assessed as the colour most likely to make players miss. Could all be bullocks, but worth a look.
    Bad may argue otherwise @Shev

• All Wycombe kits should be designed by Baz Richardson.

• UK academic research indicates that red kits have a higher win percentage, partly why the Asian owner of Cardiff tried to get the bluebirds out of blue! (plus cultural significance of Red being ‘lucky’).
    Of course Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal may have skewed the findings: cause or effect?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@drcongo said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LeedsBlue said:

Oh ffs

BSK