Skip to content

Match day thread: Cambridge

Comments

• What a sensational attacking performance, we really could've had 7 or 8 tonight and it wouldn't have flattered us at all.

It just seems all our top players are coming into form just at the right time. Vokes, Horgan, McCleary, Mehmeti all playing at or near their peak. Scowen's been brilliant all season and somehow is still improving. Wing looking the part, McCarthy in his best form of the season. I could go on. We look a very, very strong side. Long may it continue!

• Steady on, @Malone. It took the family genius hours to sort out my ailing laptop and he wouldn’t take a penny!

• edited April 2022

@Glenactico said:
    Huge opportunity on Saturday now. With Sunderland playing Oxford there is a great chance to open up a small gap over one or both of them.

Great point. That's an ideal fixture to complicate both their lives! A draw or an Oxford win desirable, as Oxford have some tough games ahead. MK and Rotherham back to back over Easter.

Essential we boot Gillingham with more of tonight's magic.

I wonder if Plymouth could yet be caught too.

• Hope expectations have not gone up too many notches.
    Pride and falls, don’t yer know.

• @micra said:
    Hope expectations have not gone up too many notches.
    Pride and falls, don’t yer know.

You can be certain Gareth will be wheeling the one game at a time mantra out.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Come on @thecatwwfc I think you quite like being negative. Enjoy a win or start a hypothetical debate?

Hehe. It's what the Gasroom is for.

I'm a bit of a victim of saying what's on my mind unfortunately. I think WAY too deeply.

Great performance tonight. Sort of game that requires fireworks......

What do we all think of fireworks.....? ;-)

• Bolton equalising against Portsmouth has probably finished off their respective chances of making the play-offs.

• That was simply sensational. Everyone was absolutely top class. Scowen and Wing in total control. Mehmeti was brilliant and denied a stone wall penalty. Vokes was absolutely fantastic and keeps getting better. McCleary put it one of the best displays from a winger I’ve seen for many, many years. He was back to his best and absolutely embarrassed several League 1 defenders tonight, causing one to fall over in the box just with skill. Exhilarating performance.

Saturday is a huge opportunity now. Another 3 points and with Oxford playing Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouth both with tough away games we could be looking good in the play offs with 4 to play. But Gillingham will be fighting for their lives so it’s going to be a tough game.

• Just to make the evening taste even sweeter pop over to the PNL forum they are in meltdown ?

• Never thought of you as any kind of philosopher @thecatwwfc.

• @micra said:
    Never thought of you as any kind of philosopher @thecatwwfc.

Nick Freeman

• Oh my days, look at the save the Morecambe keeper makes in injury time

• Well I only managed to see the last four minutes but that goal from McCleary was very beautiful. Shame Anis couldn't have added one more - glad to see Wing getting frustrated over not getting passed the ball, it's that sort of drive when we're 4-1 that reflects so well on the teams Gareth puts out.

• That last minute equaliser at home to Sunderland looks absolutely massive right now...

• That was absolutely outstanding. Definitely in the top 3 performances of the season. The best since Plymouth away. We are on fire.

• That was perhaps one of the best away performances I've ever seen from us in-person. Could easily have had 7 or 8. Maybe only on a par with the Luton 3-2 game in 2018, or the 5-0 FA Cup win at Chesterfield (who were in the league above at the time) on 2016. Simply sublime

• Brilliant night of football, ? to the fans who made the trip on a Tuesday night. What a journey home on the Wycombe coach!

• Not long back and wow, we were sensational! I cannot remember a better passing and total football performance under Ainsworth.
    I was unsure about Wing after his first few games but tonight he was immense. MOTM for me by a mile and there were some outstanding performances.
    I was particularly pleased to see Anis keep his composure after several provocations from Williams. He’s really grown up this season.
    Gillingham will be a lot tougher than Cambridge this weekend, fingers crossed there’s no rain!
    Hoping the trains run well on Saturday, see you at the Priestfield…

• What a great night...these are the good old days!

• Not much more I can add that hasn't already been said, but, what a performance what a night !

Possibly the best away performance I can remember seeing, could so easily been 7 or 8 goals. I really really hope Vokes stays for another season.
    I would like to give a shout out to Cambridge, from the ticket office, the stewards and the bar and catering staff al of them incredibly polite, helpful and welcoming. Also the fans, no hint whatsoever of any trouble and the ones we met in the pub afterwards were extremely complimentary about us, and couldn't believe we have someone like Vokes playing for us.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We probably have... but... in all my years, I don't remember us hitting the woodwork 4 times in one game before (and I'm not even counting the one we scored directly from)

• I am reminded that our last three games at Cambridge have ended 1-2, 1-3 and 1-4. Don't suppose they want us coming back.

Great for Gareth to meet up again with Gary Waddock and John Beck last night.

• I’m hoping that was just cramp that afflicted Horgan when he was subbed because I feel confident that, if we can keep this team fit, we will be in the playoffs. Single player replacements will be ok (witness the excellent shift put in by Chris Forino- another star in the making) and, if Horgan isn’t able to play on Saturday, Brandon Hanlan could possibly replace him. Totally different kind of player of course but scores goals wherever he goes, not least his 13 for Gillingham where a few years ago he was their young player of the season.

• Still can't quite get over how good Vokes is. A fantastic touch, brings it down beautifully on his chest and is so mobile with a give and go.

His 2nd goal was a perfect poacher's finish too. It's been so long since we've had a striker really able to do that. We are so lucky to get him in this groove, where he has something to prove after an iffy time at Stoke.

• @aloysius said:
    Well I only managed to see the last four minutes.

At least you got to see 4 minutes of our game. I paid my match subscription but somehow WWTV directed me to a Man City game. Admittedly I was impressed by their silky passing football and the way they swept the opposition away and could have scored double but I wanted to watch little old Wycombe scrapping away for a sneaky, cheaty 1-0 win. Also, since when do Man City play in red and white quarters?

• If (hopefully a big if) Horgan needs replacing would put Mehmetti at 10 & Kaikai (if fit) on left

• @fame_46 said:
    What a performance that was, most exciting attacking Wycombe display I’ve witnessed in the last 5 years.

Couple of highlights were McCleary late in the second half going full Gareth Bale against Athletico in the champions league and leaving the Cambridge full back for dead and playing that beautifully flighted cross for Vokes at the far post. Goal of the season that would have been.

Second was the overall performance of Sam Vokes. Won’t see a better example of forward play all season anywhere in this league. Terrorised Cambridge with his movement and his link up play was exceptional. Scored twice and could have been 5.

Rest of the team played really well - Scowen, Anis, GMac but also big shout outs for the like of Horgan and Wing who are providing excellent balance to the attacking quartet. You need the unsung workhorses to lay the platform for the others and Horgan deserves massive credit for creating space, linking passing moves in the central third and making things simple for the rest.

Also defensively we’ve been very solid. 1 conceded in the last 5 games - you could see how annoyed Stocko was after conceding last night a 3-0.

Momentum is huge at this stage of the season and it’s with us going into the final 5 games.

COYB.

@fame_46 said:
    What a performance that was, most exciting attacking Wycombe display I’ve witnessed in the last 5 years.

Couple of highlights were McCleary late in the second half going full Gareth Bale against Athletico in the champions league and leaving the Cambridge full back for dead and playing that beautifully flighted cross for Vokes at the far post. Goal of the season that would have been.

Second was the overall performance of Sam Vokes. Won’t see a better example of forward play all season anywhere in this league. Terrorised Cambridge with his movement and his link up play was exceptional. Scored twice and could have been 5.

Rest of the team played really well - Scowen, Anis, GMac but also big shout outs for the like of Horgan and Wing who are providing excellent balance to the attacking quartet. You need the unsung workhorses to lay the platform for the others and Horgan deserves massive credit for creating space, linking passing moves in the central third and making things simple for the rest.

Also defensively we’ve been very solid. 1 conceded in the last 5 games - you could see how annoyed Stocko was after conceding last night a 3-0.

Momentum is huge at this stage of the season and it’s with us going into the final 5 games.

COYB.

I> @fame_46 said:

COYB.

I might have dreamt it but I'm fairly sure Josh Scowen also almost pulled off a Cruyff turn and shot on the edge of their box.

• 68 goals is our most in a third tier season btw. Previous best 65 in 2011/12 (lol).