Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington Stanley

Comments

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    You really are a muppet

your the muppet with your rose tinted glasses on ...

• @Wanderers82 said:
    we are terrible , GA will also be a legend but he let us down with dropping TAf then not strengthening in Jan ....feel it's time for a change and get ferguson or Warnick in to see if they can make the play offs because with GA we have no chance

I don’t understand why some people have you on ignore. You’re consistently one of the most entertaining contributors on here.

• Losing Taff for so long has hurt us just like last season.

• @Wanderers82 said:

@Erroll_Sims said:
    You really are a muppet

your the muppet with your rose tinted glasses on ...

What do you mean by "his the Muppet?"

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I still don't entirely agree that we needed a CB in Jan as we predominantly play a back three which only necessitates one out-and-out CB. But that doesn't mean we weren't looking - could just have been the usual case of 'no signing is better than the wrong signing'.

Considering how bad things have been these last 7 games, I'm not sure that's possible

• @ChasHarps said:
    Ainsworths decision making is now reminding me of Sanchez in his dying days.

I started supporting more or less right at the end, but Gaz's decisions are becoming harder and harder to understand.

• @therabbittest said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I still don't entirely agree that we needed a CB in Jan as we predominantly play a back three which only necessitates one out-and-out CB. But that doesn't mean we weren't looking - could just have been the usual case of 'no signing is better than the wrong signing'.

Considering how bad things have been these last 7 games, I'm not sure that's possible

But I think there's something far more fundamentally wrong than 'We didn't sign a centre-back'

• We tried to sign whatshisname from Morecambe in the summer didn’t we?

• @floyd said:
    We tried to sign whatshisname from Morecambe in the summer didn’t we?

Lavelle - supposedly, but then along came Forino

• Yes, but wouldn’t haggle by the noises at the time.

Why we brought in Wing, ANOTHER attacking midfielder, is beyond me.

• If we don't get a win in these next two games...

• @therabbittest said:
    If we don't get a win in these next two games...

How long can we keep saying that? I think that time's passed.

• @floyd said:

Sam Lavelle, didn't get him and no back up plan.
    Still didn't sign anyone in Jan.
    Utter madness

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

Lavelle - supposedly, but then along came Forino

The Defender We Didn’t Sign is going to be the new Striker Who Would Have Kept Us Up.

• Every season we seem to have a major dip in form somewhere around mid-season/Christmas, this season it has come a little later when we were in a really strong position so I think feels worse than normal. The management & coaching team have always managed to get the team to turn it around and I dont have any doubts they will do it again.
    The real difference this season is I suspect the weight of expectation given our great opening run & the run at the end of last season.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    Yes, but wouldn’t haggle by the noises at the time.

Why we brought in Wing, ANOTHER attacking midfielder, is beyond me.

I think this was cover for the Scowen, Thomson, Gape position, given they’ve all had injury problems and Bloomfield just retired.

• This is worse than any other recent dip, and not just because of how long it's lasted

• It is remarkable that just over a month ago we were top, and now we are 20 points behind Rotherham.

• edited February 2022

Fucking garbage. @glasshalffull i applaud your positivity on here but that is another stinker and something is wrong.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Fucking garbage. @glasshalfempty i applaud your positivity on here but that is another stinker and something is wrong.

Wrong glass!

• I can't help but think to the first match of the season and wonder what has happened. Then we looked tight, creative, confident. Now we've no shape, vision or confidence. The problems are epitomised but McCleary, so imperious in August, so ineffective now.

I can't understand why we signed Wing in Jan rather than a midfielder like Pell, which is exactly what we needed and still totally lack. Given the long-ball hit-and-hope way we play we need height in the midfield.

Just so disappointing. The emergence of Kaikai is the only saving grace. A bit like Stockdale last season, you start to wonder why Gareth wasn't picking him earlier. And also why he was brought off today for a player who barely got a look in against Stanley's gladiatorial midfield.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    Btw the Watford commentary was awful. The commentator seemingly doesn’t not know the word ‘those’. He kept talking about getting in ‘them areas’ and getting it to ‘them players’.

A Hoddle-esque dim witted one, also seen in people who don't understand the difference between our and are.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Fucking garbage. @glasshalfempty i applaud your positivity on here but that is another stinker and something is wrong.

Wrong glass!

Story of my life. You can see where my mind is

• Probably not his style but Ainsworth needs to tear into his players. Absolute shambles at the moment. I know @glasshalffull does not like the expression but next game is a must win. Somehow we need a win.

• Nobody in any division has a right to say ‘we should beat this team’ or ‘we should beat that team’. However, you do have to look at the fixtures list and pick out the ‘winnable’ ones. With no disrespect to Stanley, Lincoln and Cheltenham…they were winnable fixtures for us.

Yet again we have thrown away points at half time by not countering the opposition manager’s tactical changes. There was no reaction whatsoever to their half time substitutions and that has ultimately cost us today.

• One word for our defending. CHRONIC

• Three points from 21 is relegation form.

• Grimmer and Jacobson are not the tallest,Stewart is OK in the air, but not commanding.
    You come to Accrington, expect some aerial challenges, absolute crazy team selection.

• When teams say they wouldn't want to watch us every week, what about Accy? An even more robust version of us. On 65 mins they actually had a guy holding the ball up in the corner. Had to laugh at that.

But it all feels a little like that season we were mid table and were booting it long to Hayes and Thompson.
    A summer of taking stock, re-thinking the tactics and going again.

This isn't to say we can't still have a crack at playoffs, as without checking we can't be more than 3 or 4 points off 6th, but this run has been an absolute killer.

• That second half was the worst I've seen us play in years.