Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington Stanley

Comments

• You know it's a loss when people start pointlessly baiting @glasshalffull

• Tantrums, conspiracy theories and some complete and utter crap.

We’re in a bad run but we’ve been in plenty in the Ainsworth era and loads more in all my years of supporting Wycombe Wanderers.

The over reaction on here is as incredible as it is damaging. We don’t have any right to get promoted or beat teams some deem to be easy to beat. There doesn’t have to be any rift, argument or underlying problem for a team to have a bad run of form.

On to Tuesday for another game of football. I’m going for a beer and I’ll clear all the toys up later.

• Very strange that last season many on here were celebrating that we didn't finish bottom, but still got relegated, whereas I said that if we had a manager that knew and regularly picked his best 11 we might've stayed up...and now, despite having a much more successful season, there's people saying we need to change the manager. Funny old game isn't it!

• At what point are we actually allowed to get annoyed with our shit form?

• @drcongo said:
    That second half was the worst I've seen us play in years.

Agreed

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    At what point are we actually allowed to get annoyed with our shit form?

But there’s a distance between being annoyed, as we all are, and imagining conspiracies and wondering if GA should be replaced isn’t there?

• @Shev said:
    The 19/20 team would have held on against Morecambe (2 leads), Cheltenham (2 two-goal leads) and today (2 leads), I can't help but feel. Why do we struggle so much to see out a game? Genuine question - I know we may well still win.

I long for the warrior-like Darius Charles performances at the back where we would stand up to everything thrown at us.

This three at the back with 2 small full backs is so imbalanced. You can get away with 1 at most. Tafa a serious miss.

• @floyd said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

But there’s a distance between being annoyed, as we all are, and imagining conspiracies and wondering if GA should be replaced isn’t there?

I think it's entirely natural to ponder the latter without getting rabid - is anyone whose views are worth giving credence actually calling for his head?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Tantrums, conspiracy theories and some complete and utter crap.

We’re in a bad run but we’ve been in plenty in the Ainsworth era and loads more in all my years of supporting Wycombe Wanderers.

The over reaction on here is as incredible as it is damaging. We don’t have any right to get promoted or beat teams some deem to be easy to beat. There doesn’t have to be any rift, argument or underlying problem for a team to have a bad run of form.

On to Tuesday for another game of football. I’m going for a beer and I’ll clear all the toys up later.

Why do you keep saying stuff is damaging?
    What's being damaged by a bunch of anorak fans chatting on a forum?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

When we lose to Crewe in 2 games time, and Kashket comes back after 3 months out and scores a 110th min winner.

"Och we should never have let him go" as he scores his 2nd goal of the season.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

When we lose to Crewe in 2 games time, and Kashket comes back after 3 months out and scores a 110th min winner.

Idk, I think it's a tantrum until we lose 10-0 entirely through own goals

• @Wendoverman said:
    You know it's a loss when people start pointlessly baiting @glasshalffull

Certainly not baiting, just stating he doesn’t like the expression.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I'm still thinking if we can just beat Cambridge and Crewe.... but if we get through those with less than 3 points I'll have to throw the towel in myself.

• Current form says the playoffs are out of reach.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I think it's entirely natural to ponder the latter without getting rabid - is anyone whose views are worth giving credence actually calling for his head?

It’s also perfectly possible to be annoyed without even pondering it. I don’t know how you ascribe ’credence,’ but one fella thought the question was worth a new thread.

This is miserable, and very disappointing. But we’re still on course for our 4th highest finish in the football league.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I'm still thinking if we can just beat Cambridge and Crewe.... but if we get through those with less than 3 points I'll have to throw the towel in myself.

I've picked up the towel - not throwing it in yet, but it's becoming a bit cumbersome to hold.

• @Malone said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

Because I hear people talk to me about this crap as if it’s fact. People who have just a passing interest but still read Facebook, Twitter and the Gasroom.

This week I’ve had two people tell me Ainsworth has lost the dressing room and another talking about a player who definitely lied to the manager. Anyone who watched the Louis Theroux far right documentary a couple of weeks ago saw how harmless banter and jokes get taken way to far.

I don’t like it.

• @floyd said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It’s also perfectly possible to be annoyed without even pondering it. I don’t know how you ascribe ’credence,’ but one fella thought the question was worth a new thread.

This is miserable, and very disappointing. But we’re still on course for our 4th highest finish in the football league.

But there is a point at which (wholly justified) admiration becomes hero worship - no one should ever be beyond criticism, and I think we stray very close to that. It's healthy to open up the debate even if the overwhelming opinion is 'Nonsense'.

I can forgive a bad run of results. It happens. But this is the most expensive squad we’ve ever had and that second half performance was as bad as I can remember. We couldn’t pass 5 yards. Their keeper must be so grateful as he was terrifying but we never even tested him.
    Pressure will build on everyone if performances don’t improve. I can forgive a defeat but THAT, nope that was unforgivable

• I think what has happened is a complete lack of collective confidence. As soon as the opposition score we revert to basic long balls because players are afraid to make mistakes. It’s a worrying period but calling for the manager’s head is not the way out of it. He’s not responsible for the defensive errors that are leading to conceding so many goals. Playing with a back 3 got us to the top of the table, but perhaps it’s time to consider a return to a back four just to shore things up. We need to get two or three wins in a row to restore belief and the swagger we had not so long ago.

@Malone said:

Because I hear people talk to me about this crap as if it’s fact. People who have just a passing interest but still read Facebook, Twitter and the Gasroom.

This week I’ve had two people tell me Ainsworth has lost the dressing room and another talking about a player who definitely lied to the manager. Anyone who watched the Louis Theroux far right documentary a couple of weeks ago saw how harmless banter and jokes get taken way to far.

I don’t like it.

Losing the dressing room is just goon fan cliche nonsense.
    Most times it's mentioned just need ignoring.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

But I think there's something far more fundamentally wrong than 'We didn't sign a centre-back'

• Nick Freeman

• Feel sorry for those Wycombe fans who made the journey to Accrington today. We all know that there are two teams trying to win every game and sometimes you lose matches but ....

To have not won in 7 matches, to have lost out from winning positions in 3 of those games, to have conceded 11 in the last 3 games, to have kept only 1 clean sheet in those 7 matches ....

Tells me all is not well. There' s no conspiracy theory needed as the evidence is there to see. It's a terrible run of form and our season is destined to end horribly if GA & Dobbo can't reverse the trend ASAP. In fact it may already be too late.

• @Malone said:

We almost killed Derby remember...we have great power.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

And we still have that cool figure, rumoured to be less than 100k to swell the coffers.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

And look at all the damage we have inflicted on Peterborough!

• Use of the terms ‘lost the dressing room’ and ‘no plan B’ give a good clue that person you’re listening too doesn’t have much of a clue.

I’d agree with @glasshalffull. A complete loss of confidence but I’d extend that to the manager too, who seems to be flailing around at the moment making desperate changes each game to get the elusive win.

Needs to put a good solid side out with a bias towards defending and stop them hoofing it (easier said than done, I know). We know this can be a fine team, but it needs to feel its way back to form. The problem is that we’re running out of games fast.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

I can forgive a bad run of results. It happens. But this is the most expensive squad we’ve ever had and that second half performance was as bad as I can remember. We couldn’t pass 5 yards. Their keeper must be so grateful as he was terrifying but we never even tested him.
    Pressure will build on everyone if performances don’t improve. I can forgive a defeat but THAT, nope that was unforgivable

In the second half it was so obvious we were never going to trouble the opposition goal, or the opposition half for that matter, that rather than watching in hope of us getting something out of the game, I was watching to see what passes were on each time we hoofed it. Sadly, I'd guesstimate around 60% of the time there was a short easy pass forward on that we didn't take. Why not? Why when there's acres of space in front of one of our players, do they not run forward with the ball? Why do we have to hoof it vaguely in the direction of the forwards when we know they've got two of the tallest centre backs in the division and it's just going to come straight back at us. This is schoolboy stuff.

I complained earlier in the season, when we were winning games, that we were winning by luck because so much of our attacking play is just hopeful stuff. That luck has well and truly run out and with nothing papering over that gaping crack, it's blatantly obvious to (almost) everyone watching now. Especially opposition managers.

• Earlier in the season if we had lost after being 2-1 up we would have been shocked but now ………..