Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington Stanley

Comments

• I'm conscious of confirmation bias here, but does anyone else we're lacking a little bit of the usual fight when the going gets tough?

• The table does not look pretty right now. Even a playoff spot is out of our hands.

• Wonder what the odds are on the Couhigs panicking and bringing in Darren Ferguson who has got promoted 3 times out of this league I think ??

• @Shev said:
    Bad runs happen, but I think what is disappointing is us playing so contrary to what we are used to as far as resilience.

3 points out of a possible 21 would be a bit more than a "bad run"

• @username123 said:
    Wonder what the odds are on the Couhigs panicking and bringing in Darren Ferguson who has got promoted 3 times out of this league I think ??

Hell no

• Not that I would personally want that to happen I must add!!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I'm conscious of confirmation bias here, but does anyone else we're lacking a little bit of the usual fight when the going gets tough?

The amount of blown leads is quite stunning. I remember in 19/20 someone talking about how if we had a lead we would defend with a mindset of "we can do this all day and you are not scoring." It does feel very different now, though if you look at today's starting 11, five were on that team (I think).

• @Shev said:
    The table does not look pretty right now. Even a playoff spot is out of our hands.

Is relegation still possible?

• Any particular reason we are putting it in the air when it is Giants v Grasshoppers?

• @Shev said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I'm conscious of confirmation bias here, but does anyone else we're lacking a little bit of the usual fight when the going gets tough?

The amount of blown leads is quite stunning. I remember in 19/20 someone talking about how if we had a lead we would defend with a mindset of "we can do this all day and you are not scoring." It does feel very different now, though if you look at today's starting 11, five were on that team (I think).

By "when the going gets tough", I mean within individual games (i.e. after blowing the lead) rather than a bad run on the whole, but it's not very Wycombe-y at the moment.

• We have to get the ball on the ground and pass it round their men mountains, hoof ball is playing into their hands,

• I dunno. And I certainly don’t have any FIFA badges so I’ll bow to the experts. But if you have some fucking massive centre halves in the opposition is punting the ball long down the middle the right tactic ? Or does that make you look inept?

• Ah, classic dirty Accy are back

• @Shev said:
    Any particular reason we are putting it in the air when it is Giants v Grasshoppers?

It's what we do

• Mentality is gone, toughness is gone, game plan is gone.

• Missing McCleary since he went off.

• At risk of being accused of having a tantrum, things are bad - whether we somehow salvage something from this or not.

• @therabbittest said:
    Mentality is gone, toughness is gone, game plan is gone.

One has to consider if some of the internal disagreements are true and are behind our general malaise on the field. For a team who used to run through wall for the manager we are as fragile as fook now.

• I’ll say it again. We need a reset and back to basics WITH A BACK 4! Accrington have looked a really poor side today, all over the place at the back and again we have been really poor and played very little football. Think given the strength of the other sides the play offs are not looking likely now.

We need to learn and regroup for next season. And keep Vokes who at the moment is completely wasted in our side but is vital if we want to progress. Good to see Gape back, played really well in first half, then tired.

Oh and we certainly needed a central defender in January (as we almost all thought) - that was a big error and that is being shown now.

• The last shot we had was in black and white.

• Given that we've thrown away seven leads (two of them two goal leads) in seven matches I'm going to start hoping we don't score early.

• And then three come at once.

• @drcongo said:
    The last shot we had was in black and white.

Do that again

• Any suspicion I had that it could still be our day ended with that.

• Seriously we are poor at the moment - cannot even hit an almost open goal...

• we are terrible , GA will also be a legend but he let us down with dropping TAf then not strengthening in Jan ....feel it's time for a change and get ferguson or Warnick in to see if they can make the play offs because with GA we have no chance

• You really are a muppet

• Ainsworths decision making is now reminding me of Sanchez in his dying days.

• Persisting with this back three is madness.

• I still don't entirely agree that we needed a CB in Jan as we predominantly play a back three which only necessitates one out-and-out CB. But that doesn't mean we weren't looking - could just have been the usual case of 'no signing is better than the wrong signing'.