Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington Stanley

15678911»

Comments

• @glasshalffull said:
    There’s a game of cliche bingo going on in the Facebook group…..no plan B, lost the dressing room, taken us as far as he can, tactically naive, out of his depth etc, etc. You’d think we were facing relegation.

I don’t doubt that at all @glasshalffull. I’ve long since given up exposing myself to such drivel on social media.

As the WoPR said in Wargames, the only winning move is not to play.

• @drcongo said:

@username123 said:
    Peter Taylor I’ve always felt lost us support.

That's the thing isn't it. You can play any kind of football you like if it gets you wins. If it's awful to watch and you lose, then people stop coming.

Actually I was referring to the season we were promoted too!!

• I thought Shrewsbury was disappointing but we had so many attempts to win so not unexciting for me. This is a thousand miles away from Peter Taylor football. If the club are claiming revenues are up, it will be interesting to see the attendance stats when this season of tedious anti-football ends.

• @glasshalffull said:
    There’s a game of cliche bingo going on in the Facebook group…..no plan B, lost the dressing room, taken us as far as he can, tactically naive, out of his depth etc, etc. You’d think we were facing relegation.

There's a few names that repeatedly crop up in such discussions. I'm pretty sure they were the ones wanting Ainsworth out at other times too. It's never entirely gone away despite the 2 promotions and narrow failure last year.

• It's all very well saying Ainsworth is "tactically naive".
    Does that mean that Dobbo, all the other coaches and all the players are too?
    I'm pretty sure GA would be man enough to admit it if it was one of his flaws, and would be studying meticulously to eradicate that flaw. He has played more football and at a higher level than most at the club, so he must know something.

I honestly think we have tried to evolve into something that we are not - which was always a concern of mine when new owners came in. We are not a Championship club...YET. The experience will stand us in good stead for what to expect when we finally are, but let's just take a step back, and do the basics properly, and let's see where that takes us. Team looks off balance. Back to 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 and stop conceding. If we can't win, then we don't lose.

We never had money to sign players before, and now we are all moaning because we didn't sign anyone. When has that ever been a luxury for WWFC? We've got bloody Sam Vokes ffs!

• @thecatwwfc said:
    It's all very well saying Ainsworth is "tactically naive".
    I'm pretty sure GA would be man enough to admit it if it was one of his flaws, and would be studying meticulously to eradicate that flaw. He has played more football and at a higher level than most at the club, so he must know something.

I honestly think we have tried to evolve into something that we are not - which was always a concern of mine when new owners came in. We are not a Championship club...YET. The experience will stand us in good stead for what to expect when we finally are, but let's just take a step back, and do the basics properly, and let's see where that takes us. Team looks off balance. Back to 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 and stop conceding. If we can't win, then we don't lose.

We never had money to sign players before, and now we are all moaning because we didn't sign anyone. When has that ever been a luxury for WWFC? We've got bloody Sam Vokes ffs!

Why 4-4-2?

• Paralysis by analysis ??

• Describing a manager who has survived 10 or so years as a pro football manager, arguably one of the most difficult jobs to stay in long term, as "tactically naive" is just so astoundingly dimwitted, I'm amazed anyone can say it and not expect to be ridiculed.

• @thecatwwfc said:

To be fair, Gareth has said in the past that he's not as tactically-astute as other managers. See this quote in an interview with The Times, 12 Sep 2020:

“If you asked me my biggest strength, I would love to say I see the game better than anyone, I’m more tactically astute, but I’d be lying,” he says. “My biggest strengths are getting players organised, trusting my staff, galvanising the boys, getting them to achieve possibly more than they think they can.”

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Why 4-4-2?

To allow us to stop playing 4 full backs and one centre half. Or an adaptation of 4-4-2. If we are saying he is tactically inept then surely doing what you know helps?

• @thecatwwfc said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Why 4-4-2?

To allow us to stop playing 4 full backs and one centre half. Or an adaptation of 4-4-2. If we are saying he is tactically inept then surely doing what you know helps?

Has any non-troll poster on here said he's tactically inept? I'm not outright dismissing 4-4-2 (although I'm no fan of it), was just curious as that's what people always seem to call for us to revert to (even though we've not regularly played it since the back end of 18/19).

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Why 4-4-2?

Has any non-troll poster on here said he's tactically inept? I'm not outright dismissing 4-4-2 (although I'm no fan of it), was just curious as that's what people always seem to call for us to revert to (even though we've not regularly played it since the back end of 18/19).

I didn't mean it that literally, but what we are doing isn't working. There is no balance. Playing 2 full backs at CB isn't working is it? And seen as we have no options, surely changing the system will help accommodate what we have.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Why 4-4-2?

I didn't mean it that literally, but what we are doing isn't working. There is no balance. Playing 2 full backs at CB isn't working is it? And seen as we have no options, surely changing the system will help accommodate what we have.

If it were up to me, v Cambridge I'd go:

Stockdale

Grimmer
    Stewart
    Forino
    Obita

Scowen
    Thompson

Hanlan
    Kaikai
    McCleary

Vokes

I think it's much more structured for starters, and all manner of combinations you could have for the three behind Vokes.

• edited February 2022

Would ideally have a left-footer on the right to make for more natural full-back overlaps, but we don't have any left-footed attacking players

• No Mehmeti?

• edited February 2022

@drcongo said:
    No Mehmeti?

Maybe over Hanlan and shift Kaikai to the right (he is an excellent crosser), but Hanlan really helps give that attacking unit fluidity as he can basically play two positions at once - helped by his immense acceleation

• 4-2-3-1 is the way forward.....

• I feel sorry for Mehmeti, it wasn’t so long back that we were all worrying about him signing an extension and now he is pretty much out of the picture.

• Mehmeti’s virtual disappearance (especially whilst McCleary is out of form and Horgan out of favour) surprises and disappoints me.

• @micra said:
    Mehmeti’s virtual disappearance (especially whilst McCleary is out of form and Horgan out of favour) surprises and disappoints me.

And the fact he played in the B&B while all other first team regular sat it out was rather weird

• I was at Accrington on Saturday and there were a few things that were very evident.
    They were much bigger than us and at some point it was going to make a huge difference, and in the 2nd half when Pell came on it did. Forino should have been on at half time.

The wind gave us an advantage in the first half that was going to give them an advantage in the second half.

We battled for everything, in our normal way but their center mids and center backs completely dominated us in the second half. They consistently bullied us off the ball. It was like watching us three or four season ago.

This squad is not as good as last years and is imbalanced. Knight, Adeniran, Muskwe, Ikpeazu, Onyedinma would all push the starting XI over our current squad.

GA always has a little wobble in a season, it normally lasts 6 or 7 games and then he sorts it out, normally when it feels like we just don't know what to do next. However, I think we have an issue compared to other years. Quite often that form would coincide with injuries, and he would literally have no choice but to pick a certain 11.

Unfortunately, the size of the squad plus development players and the attacking mid/winger heavy players means it's more difficult for him to pick his best XI as has has so many to choose from.

I'd really like to see us go back to four at the back. Picking our best four defenders.

This means Grimmer, Stewart, Forino and Jacobson. For me Forino and Jacobson offer much more defensively and offensively than a Tafazolli and Obita combination. As Tafa and JJ are not blessed with great pace, I think they cannot play together.

Two work horse midfielders need to play out of Thompson, Gape and Scowen.

Vokes starts. So that leaves room for three more players to play across the park behind Vokes. I'd like to see all three interchanging between left, middle and right.

I would play Kaikai, McCleary and Obita at the moment.