Skip to content

Match day thread: Wigan

Comments

• My views... Wigan were bar far the best team I've seen us play this season, I'd have settled for a point at 1-1 !

The touch by Vokes, and finish by Kaikai was absolutely beautiful and worthy of a higher division ! Unfortunately a division we won't be in next season, something definitely feels a bit off about the place atm. I dont agree with the remarks about Stewart ! I still think he was better than Forino tonight, so those comments I feel are harsh. Not sure what Wheeler adds other than a lot of running running around, I'd rather have Mehmeti in the team, who cant even get on the pitch now, after being the golden boy a month ago. Grimmer to me has been poor for ages, think we're struggling on the right side of defence.

Seems really strange to me that we rely so much on the long ball, but only the center backs and Vokes can actually head the ball ?

I think we're a top 10 team, not a top 6 team.

Roll on Accy Saturday !

• We were absolutely schooled after 30 minutes. Movement, energy and creativity from Wigan streets ahead of our strollers. Really not sure what Wing brings - looks very unlike an Ainsworth signing with decent enough positioning but what seems fairly low energy and lack of drive. Guess it’s early days but I’ve been very unimpressed.
    On the plus Scowen excellent again - did his best with the onslaught. Obita not so great but up there for POS for me. Not sure I get the vilification of Stewart. Aside from the mistake he really wasn’t that poor tonight. No worse than the rest of the defence.
    My only worry is that when we play poorly as we have done over the last month we look a bang average side …

• Some overreactions and some good posts (especially @Commoner ) putting things into some perspective. We came up against a team that would at least by comfortably mid-table in the Championship, and they ground us down with superior passing and movement, evading our press with greater ease as the game went on.
    We looked much better organised than the nightmare-inducing defending on Saturday, and generally our play was much better, albeit against opponents that are light years ahead of Cheltenham. I was livid after Saturday's game, but can accept we were beaten by better players tonight. Yes two of the goals were gifts, though 3-1 was a fair result.

Getting into the play-offs in a league as strong as it this season is a huge ask, and still one we can achieve if we can pull out of this slump.

• Great to know Gape is fit again, by the way. What a snakebitten couple of seasons the Hero of Chesterfield has had!

• I thought we were excellent first half (yes the whole first half) giving Wigan no space or time but there was no way we could keep up that press for the whole game. We needed fresh legs to stay at them at 60 minutes in my opinion. Don't agree at all that there is ' something off ' at the club. I thought Stewart and Forino were a good pairing tonight. Didnt see anyone on tje field who did not give a toss. My eyesight is obviously failing. As Gareth said, the games against The Shrews and Cherries were more disappointing than dropping points against an excellent Wigan side that will be promoted automatically. (We were lucky to get a point at their place remember!) We may be 'bang average ' but so are most of the other sides. For me... we are still in it.

• The stick Stewart is getting tonight is embarrassing. He made a mistake for the 3rd goal but has been our best defender for the past few seasons and did not have a poor game tonight against what was an excellent Wigan team. Knee jerkers out in force this evening..

• @username123 said:

@frequentstander said:
    We can make the playoffs if we pick things back up. For what it's worth, I think we will make them. Just.

Right now I’m terrified of what would happen to us if we made the playoffs.

Try thinking about how hellish it would be if we got promoted!

• @eric_plant said:
    A few folk have lost the run of themselves this evening. I thought we played really well first half and then in the second half a really good side stepped up and outplayed us.

Sometimes you just get beaten by the better side. If we'd played like that on Saturday we'd have beaten Cheltenham comfortably. If you're going to get annoyed about anything, get annoyed about that.

Some very winnable games coming up and it's all to play for. Stop wetting the bed and saying "something's not right about the place"

Well said Eric, we are one point behind Sunderland -who occupy the final play off place - with a game in hand. This despite our worst run of form this season.

• Just got home from the game and switched on the gasroom..a record number of posts on this thread. Interest in the club is greater than ever

• Just got back too. Gasroom in meltdown shock. Eric, Commoner, PJS and a couple of others staying sane, otherwise mostly over-reactions and conspiracy theories. Is this Facebook in disguise? You boys really should’ve been around when Suddaby was in charge and Nigel Gray was in central defence...

Anyway, thankfully Colin Murray delivered a stonking late show on 5Live dealing with the geopolitical issue of the hour in excellent detail followed by a fascinating, in-depth interview with KT Tunstall. Perfectly took my mind off the result for a while on the long drive home. So why the hell did I choose to log back into this place?

Well done Reading and Barnsley.

• In true Gasroom style we have both overreaction and also overreaction to the overreaction.

• edited February 2022

“Pipe down” ?

• LX1LX1
    edited February 2022

@Shev if there was a league one 'all stars' end of season game..who would be in it from WWFC?

• To> @LeedsBlue said:

Just got back too. Gasroom in meltdown shock. Eric, Commoner, PJS and a couple of others staying sane, otherwise mostly over-reactions and conspiracy theories. Is this Facebook in disguise? You boys really should’ve been around when Suddaby was in charge and Nigel Gray was in central defence...

Anyway, thankfully Colin Murray delivered a stonking late show on 5Live dealing with the geopolitical issue of the hour in excellent detail followed by a fascinating, in-depth interview with KT Tunstall. Perfectly took my mind off the result for a while on the long drive home. So why the hell did I choose to log back into this place?

Surely radio 4 is better for that? I rejected 5 as a teenager when they rebranded as 5live. They already were the sports station..and they had the cusp of 90s youth in other programmes (such as 'rave on a Friday with a young Rob Brydon which I listened to avidly). But some public school dickhead at the BBC said 'no!'

• In my history of the BBC which will be published sometime..the change from 'radio 5..to radio 5live' is the key turning point

• Had the opportunity to embrace 'cool brittania but missed an open goal.

Anyway..as much as I love Stokes he was again distracted for their first goal. And the rest followed. As Yoda once said..'concentrate...CONCENTRATE!

• @LX1 said:
    @Shev if there was a league one 'all stars' end of season game..who would be in it from WWFC?

Early doors it would have been McLeary. Then Hanlan. But now it is looking more like Scowen or Obita. Vokes is awesome, but would have too much competition at the position.

• Stocko made a great block first half and we are privileged to have him.

I do worry about his focus. But that can be worked on.

• Better first half overwhelmed in the second mistakes forced by allowing Wigan to come at us. Only comic relief was Stocko accidentally decking a Wigan player after they scored.
    On to Saturday

• edited February 2022

@eric_plant said:
    A few folk have lost the run of themselves this evening. I thought we played really well first half and then in the second half a really good side stepped up and outplayed us.

Sometimes you just get beaten by the better side. If we'd played like that on Saturday we'd have beaten Cheltenham comfortably. If you're going to get annoyed about anything, get annoyed about that.

Some very winnable games coming up and it's all to play for. Stop wetting the bed and saying "something's not right about the place"

I agree with the sentiments of your first two paragraphs but disagree with the third. A feeling is just a feeling, of course, and need not necessarily be accurate but I'll willingly say that I've had the same feeling others have shared here and (without rancour) on Twitter that something about the team doesn't feel right and hasn't for a while. The defensive performance on Saturday and in the second half last night was not of the Wycombe I have come to recognise and admire in the last few years of watching whereas the nervy but ultimately successful 2-1s and the 4-3 v Morecambe earlier in the season very much were on brand. It may be nothing and pure confirmation bias during a bad run but I feel it nonetheless and think it fair to voice it so long as I am willing to be mistaken, which I am.

BTW, I thought we were excellent in the first half and much more like ourselves. Even in the second half, I didn't mind that we didn't have the ball. We were doing a good job of denying Wigan good opportunities. It's the nature of the goals we conceded, again, that troubles me. Three Wigan players following up the free kick and only two Wycombe, four or five Wycombe players with a chance to clear the corner for the second, and the third speaks for itself.

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    Better first half overwhelmed in the second mistakes forced by allowing Wigan to come at us. Only comic relief was Stocko accidentally decking a Wigan player after they scored.
    On to Saturday

Having just watched the highlights, there seemed nothing accidental about it. I can't think what was going on there.

• I think there are probably two things that are causing some to suspect there is something not quite right. I don’t see it myself but this is what has changed.
    1. Changing of the guard - our generals from 2 seasons ago. Gape, Bloomfield, Bayo are hardly playing. Whilst we’ve replaced with decent footballers are they leaders?
    2. Squad imbalance - maybe due to injury but certainly an imbalance. We have far too many attacking midfielders, who all seem to want to play centrally or drift inside. Our preference is to play two holding midfielders but injury has not really allowed us to do that. If Scowen, Gape and Thompson can all stay fit for the run in I think we will make the play offs.

• @LX1 said:
    To> @LeedsBlue said:

Just got back too. Gasroom in meltdown shock. Eric, Commoner, PJS and a couple of others staying sane, otherwise mostly over-reactions and conspiracy theories. Is this Facebook in disguise? You boys really should’ve been around when Suddaby was in charge and Nigel Gray was in central defence...

Surely radio 4 is better for that? I rejected 5 as a teenager when they rebranded as 5live. They already were the sports station..and they had the cusp of 90s youth in other programmes (such as 'rave on a Friday with a young Rob Brydon which I listened to avidly). But some public school dickhead at the BBC said 'no!'

So true.

• @glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant said:

Well said Eric, we are one point behind Sunderland -who occupy the final play off place - with a game in hand. This despite our worst run of form this season.

Whilst I agree we need to try and avoid overreacting to a bad run, and as you say we’re still very much in the playoff hunt, it doesn’t change the fact that the form table currently has us in 20th position.

So although I commend people who continuously stay positive, there also needs to be an element of realism, and I don’t think it’s wildly overreacting to state that if we continue this form, we’ll be in mid table come the end of the season.

That’s the sentiment of most of the posts I’ve seen after last night’s game, and I don’t think anyone could really argue with that assessment or say it’s unduly negative or an overreaction.

In terms of the theories of something being deeply wrong at the club, I don’t think there’s been any kind of bust-up. I think it’s more likely the stress of being on a bad run during a season where expectations are the highest they’ve ever been, something that I think the board could have prevented by being a bit more coy about our promotion ambitions. In previous seasons I think our positive team spirit has been aided by the fact that no one has really expected anything of us, but when we start claiming to be one of the big boys, we lose that ‘us vs them’ edge in our squad dynamic.

I think that’s the difference this year.

• Colin Murray’s 5live late show is the saving grace of any journey at that time of night. He’s a seriously underrated presenter.

• Radio 5 (+ sports extra) still has some excellent sports coverage in my opinion

• @LX1 great shout. Was devastated when Hit the North and Across the Line went

• edited February 2022

@HCblue said:

@MorrisItal_ said:
    Better first half overwhelmed in the second mistakes forced by allowing Wigan to come at us. Only comic relief was Stocko accidentally decking a Wigan player after they scored.
    On to Saturday

Having just watched the highlights, there seemed nothing accidental about it. I can't think what was going on there.

Looks very much like a punch - not much of one but a punch nonetheless. But if the ref dealt with it at the time, can Stocko be retrospectively punished?

• Same old high balls, heading tennis, every throw in down the line, not playing the ball on the ground,bring on the likes of Mehmeti who will run at opponents play passing football
    as Wigan did against us.Wigan played excellent football the way football should be played,we were totally outclassed !!!