Comments

• @Malone said:

@Platform_3 said:

@PrinceOfCrowell said:

@Platform_3 said:

@DevC said:

@eric_plant said:

@DevC said:
    So @ReturnToSenda is it "moneyball" that you believe will give us the competitive advantage to allow us to establish ourselves in the Championship against "bigger clubs".

So what should we do? Just not bother trying and accept our place in the pyramid below all the teams with more money than us and above those with less?

It doesn't affect you in any way other than how you interact with strangers on a message board anyway

I certainly haven't suggested anything of the sort Eric. We should of course aim to sign the best possible players and team we can afford and win every game on the way to ultimate Champions League glory. Just as I aim to win the lottery every week.

I don't expect to win the lottery every week though much as I would like to just as I don't expect WWFC to be a sustainable Championship team much as I would like them to be. I was curious why @ReturnToSenda is confident that is achievable. I think it is unlikely

I agree, it does seem unlikely. Of clubs of our 'size' (which I know is very subjective) and budget range the only ones who have achieved Championship status for more than a couple of years over my 30 years of watching football are Crewe and Walsall, and both of them have since sunk back into the League One / League Two world.

Of the teams promoted to the League for the first time since automatic promotion was introduced, only three (including us) have been promoted to the Championship, and only Burton lasted more than a season.

Wimbledon and Wigan seem to me to be the only teams who have joined the League in the last 50 years who have established themselves for any length of time in the top two tiers. Wigan required more money than we will ever have to do it, and Wimbledon thrived on the general football chaos of the 1980s (before disappearing in their own chaos).

It would be marvellous if we did became a regular Championship club, but anyone 'expecting' it is likely to be disappointed.

Sorry to be a pedant, I count 4 Championship teams who were automatically promoted from non league:

Us, Burton, Yeovil, Colchester.

Colchester weren't promoted to the league for the first time...

Loving the pedant off.

But of course what has happened before is irrelevant to what happens going forward surely?
    It all depends who picks us up after Rob C has done his thing.

Mel Morris

• We're likely heading to something like our 3rd most successful ever season so things could be worse.
    Not make the playoffs?
    How many times have we finished even in the top half of tier 3 before?

• Championship - 22nd - 20/21
    Third tier:
    3rd - 19/20
    6th - 94/95
    11th - 01/02
    12th - 95/96
    12th - 99/00
    13th - 00/01

Still sat in our 4th highest position in our 135th year…

• In the 94/95 season I remember a home reverse towards the end of the season (possibly Peterborough). We had just had two successive promotions from the Conference. I went to that local shop at the end of desborourgh road (no longer exists)and the guy said 'they aren't going to win anything playing like that.'

We finished 6th which is undoubtedly one of Wycombe's finest seasons. Due to reorganisation we didn't make the playoffs.

Here we are again at those dizzy heights, at the cusp of something great.

Support Garreth, Support Wycombe Wanderers, Support life

• @Commoner said:
    Championship - 22nd - 20/21
    Third tier:
    3rd - 19/20
    6th - 94/95
    11th - 01/02
    12th - 95/96
    12th - 99/00
    13th - 00/01

Still sat in our 4th highest position in our 135th year…

135th year for reformists. 138th year for accurists

• Wanting Ainsworth sacked for being 7th in L1 is like being mad at your beautiful wife for having a cold sore.

• @Shev said:
    Wanting Ainsworth sacked for being 7th in L1 is like being mad at your beautiful wife for having a cold sore.

@Shev How did you know my wife has a cold sore?? ??

• Who wants him sacked?

• 20 or so points out of the 39 on offer, will get us in the playoffs. Certainly on paper we have fixtures that are winnable. Good result Saturday, could kick start the season. Keep the faith.

• The next three games are winnable if we play anywhere near our best. Win away on Saturday and it will help the confidence.

• @davecz said:
    20 or so points out of the 39 on offer, will get us in the playoffs. Certainly on paper we have fixtures that are winnable. Good result Saturday, could kick start the season. Keep the faith.

1.54 points per game. Unheard of !

• @micra said:

@davecz said:
    20 or so points out of the 39 on offer, will get us in the playoffs. Certainly on paper we have fixtures that are winnable. Good result Saturday, could kick start the season. Keep the faith.

Not sure if that’s a tongue-in-cheek comment @micra but we have averaged 1.6 points per game already and that’s despite our recent poor form.

• Well worth a read in light of some of the more extreme recent overreaction

• @glasshalffull said:

@micra said:

@davecz said:

Not sure if that’s a tongue-in-cheek comment @micra but we have averaged 1.6 points per game already and that’s despite our recent poor form.

Very much so. I wasn’t aware of the current situation but had in mind a superior ppg of 1.74, arguably achieved with a less talented squad. Onward and upward, I say.

• edited February 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Well worth a read in light of some of the more extreme recent overreaction

I remember the time some Burnley player had scored against Liverpool and then within a week, he was on an FA charge, as some sad act had trawled through his entire twitter history to find some offensive comment from yonks ago :D