Skip to content

Match day thread: Wigan

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@thecatwwfc said:
    Hate to say it, but when others strengthened in January and we didn't, the writing was on the wall. We all said it (well most of us).

We seem to have lost our way a bit in which everyone hated our style of play. Plymouth away was a masterclass. I don't think we are playing to our strengths anymore.

We strengthened the only area we needed to

really?!!! we needed cover at the back

• The second half has been awful. Absolutely no intent to attack or do anything. Wigan had no end product first half, we should of been keeping up the pressure. Instead a sloppy goal changes momentum and suddenly they are full of confidence.

Not Ainsworth out, but tonights attendance is poor for a top of the table clash. The way we have been playing recently is quite clearly a factor

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Apparently something went on between Stocko and Power after one of their goals?

Where they arguing over the assist on the first goal? Both trying their best it seemed.

Some are saying Stocko threw a punch

• @RomanHats said:
    The second half has been awful. Absolutely no intent to attack or do anything. Wigan had no end product first half, we should of been keeping up the pressure. Instead a sloppy goal changes momentum and suddenly they are full of confidence.

Not Ainsworth out, but tonights attendance is poor for a top of the table clash. The way we have been playing recently is quite clearly a factor

Playing poorly and just boring to watch

• Kaikai MOM. What are his possession stats second half in the final third? 0%?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I was never arsed about going back up immediately, but things are so not right around here at the moment.

I actually think the owners have piled far too much pressure on going straight back up to the championship. In such a strong league, it’s really created a negative atmosphere when a few results didn’t go our way.

I sometimes wonder if us going up in the first season of the new ownership completely ruined RC’s expectations moving forwards. I know he constantly want to look forwards, but he needs the context of where we’ve come from.

As much as we’d like to think so, we can’t just switch overnight into a club that has serious ambitions of playing in the championship. And if we do, then we need to invest in the same way that some of our rivals have. Not saying that’s the best approach long term, but just the reality of the situation.

• edited February 2022

And something just feels off about the whole place at the moment - maybe multiple things

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@thecatwwfc said:
    Hate to say it, but when others strengthened in January and we didn't, the writing was on the wall. We all said it (well most of us).

We seem to have lost our way a bit in which everyone hated our style of play. Plymouth away was a masterclass. I don't think we are playing to our strengths anymore.

We needed another CB.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    And something just feels off about the whole place at the moment - maybe multiple things

Does it? It still feels like an amazing time to be a Wycombe fan to me.

• Fucking shit

• Couple of mistakes in our box…lose the game

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@thecatwwfc said:

With what?

• I think we were better on iFollow

• I think we now have an answer to the question “why hasn’t Stewart been starting”. He was the second best centre back by a huge distance today. Didn’t look interested at all.

• The desire we showed pre Christmas and in the latter half of last season, seems to have disappeared, plus a number of players look distracted or disinterested...

• @Jonny said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I was never arsed about going back up immediately, but things are so not right around here at the moment.

I actually think the owners have piled far too much pressure on going straight back up to the championship. In such a strong league, it’s really created a negative atmosphere when a few results didn’t go our way.

I sometimes wonder if us going up in the first season of the new ownership completely ruined RC’s expectations moving forwards. I know he constantly want to look forwards, but he needs the context of where we’ve come from.

As much as we’d like to think so, we can’t just switch overnight into a club that has serious ambitions of playing in the championship. And if we do, then we need to invest in the same way that some of our rivals have. Not saying that’s the best approach long term, but just the reality of the situation.

I agree. We have been found out in a VERY tough league. We don't seem difficult to beat, and not playing to our strengths it anymore.

We have to admit, we were a LITTLE lucky to get to the championship in the first place. We were punching well above our weight and gave it a good go. We don't have a RIGHT to be there any more than Bolton, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Ipswich etc. They are all much bigger clubs than wycombe so we can be proud of what we have achieved.

I just don't want to be another Burton Albion

• @thecatwwfc said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@thecatwwfc said:

With what?

I’m not buying that either. We brought in two attacking midfielders in January, to go with the several thousand we already have. Literally the only position that didn’t need strengthening.

• Seems little doubt that Stocko punched Power. Three-match ban incoming

• @drcongo said:
    I think we now have an answer to the question “why hasn’t Stewart been starting”. He was the second best centre back by a huge distance today. Didn’t look interested at all.

First half he looked ok but we were pressing high and that made things easier for the back 4, second half Forino looked like the senior pro.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Seems little doubt that Stocko punched Power. Three-match ban incoming

Didn’t see the incident itself, just saw Power rolling around. If true then this is a big blow

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Looked shoulder to shoulder on the TV

• First half we were played with purpose and positivity against a really good side, and deservedly were ahead. Second half we showed zero intent to be positive and focussed on time wasting and disrupting the game, as we have tended to do all season when a goal up. We invited an excellent side onto us and provided nothing at all for them to think about. Not a surprise we were swept aside easily. Note the difference when Wigan went 2-1 up - they didn’t sit back and think negative thoughts. They went for the throat and put the game to bed. They have shown us what an automatic promotion team looks like and we are some way off that at the moment.

For me, I’ve been saying similar all season but you cannot get up with such a negative approach and it’s coming back to bite us now as we fall away. We have a squad of very talented footballers and not a bunch of cloggers anymore. Hopefully next season we will amend the attitude a bit more and have some confidence in ourselves, to continue playing in the same way when a goal up and actually having some confidence to pass the ball a bit more. Last 12 games or so in the Championship we played some lovely football, mixed with good direct play, it does seem that has almost completely deserted us at the moment.

Let’s hope for a decent end to the season and Gareth and Dobbo can work their magic on the squad again so we can start next year in a weaker division confident in what we could achieve.

• I'm beginning to wonder if they'll be here beyond this season

• @ReturnToSenda if that is the case he deserves the ban, a substantial fine from the club and dropping down the pecking order. At the end of the day it is an assault and not behaviour we should condone in any way as a club.

To be honest I don't care if his absence costs us points.

@drcongo sadly I think the bubble has burst for us and there are a number of senior pros who look like they need to be moved on at the end of the season as their heads appear to be in totally the wrong place

• Unfortunately season is falling apart. 3 out of 18 points is not play off form. We clearly need to turn this round otherwise it looks more like mid table.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I'm beginning to wonder if they'll be here beyond this season

We need evolution not revolution - we played well closing them down first half but probably run out of steam and then beaten by the better team second half.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

You can see it on WWTV. No punch, small shove.

• @PJS said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I'm beginning to wonder if they'll be here beyond this season

We need evolution not revolution - we played well closing them down first half but probably run out of steam and then beaten by the better team second half.

I just mean the way the whole vibe around the place feels wrong. This isn't Wycombe.

• It seemed like we decided from the start, 'they're a better team, let's see what we can do'. Gaz has been fantastic in almost every way, but his failing has always been being too reactive.

We were very good first 20, get the goal and revert to a game-plan that is almost destined to fail. As soon as you make a mistake, you're in such a defensive position its hard to switch gear.

Why wait to make the sub after the goal? It was clear we needed a change moving forward, and leaving an unfit Wing on for so long was so disappointing.

• @drcongo said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

You can see it on WWTV. No punch, small shove.

I'm sure the video will clear it up, but plenty are saying punch. Hopefully not.