Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• They’ve got cheesy chips for a quid.

Because Sunderland’s a massive club.

• @Hopping_Wanderer said:
    The Funky Elephant was nice, though £8 for a small wrap. Zink on Wycombe market is far better.

Unfortunately, they have to give up 50 per cent to be there.

• @Shev said:
    Sunderland forum is hilarious reading - calling Wycombe fans the thickest in L1 in reference to this very thread, all while using a vocabulary of around seven misspelled words between them (and 'Marra' of course). Also, boasting that their threads are way longer than ours. Well then! Off to the PL with you, you massive club! Oh wait...

Maybe we should point to them to a historical Gasroom thread with a Shakespearian level of pun building, to blow their collective mind...

It will never not be funny that there's any rivalry at all between us and a team that were in the Prem in recent memory. I'm sure they're better run and will piss the league like they did last year, the year before, the year before that ....

• edited January 2022

I do rate how Sunderland fans call Stewart the 'Loch Ness Drogba'

• How did I not notice Bayo belly-flopping on top of the bundle at the end? ? Are we going to be able to field a team on Tuesday?

• I hope David Stockdale won't mind me saying their first goal was a bum goal - Stewart hit the bar and the ball bounced outwards. David Stockdale and Wycombe were unlucky to concede it and Sunderland were lucky to score it. Our team showed character to take that reverse in their stride. It could have set the tone for tje match. There is no class in counting that goal as part of a 'hatrick'i

• A long time since I last went to a game against Sunderland. I enjoyed that one too.

https://www.whufc.com/club/history/greatest-matches/west-ham-united-8-0-sunderland

• Today was a moment to take it all in wasn't it? Going toe to toe with a huge club that played well on the day and still coming away with a hard earned point.

Any neutral watching that game would have loved it. We might have been direct but there was little hoofing today. Controlled attacking play with a talented, exciting 4 of Mehmeti, McCleary, Vokes and Hanlan. We should really appreciate these times.

• Had to stop reading their forum as the level of pointless abuse rather than any sort of comment on the game makes it a bit boring and spoils the day a bit. Having seen the replay it was never a pen...but we've seen them given as the saying goes. We played well today so galling to read the tedious kneejerk anti-football/cheating/ref gave them everything cut and paste stuff. I know Rotherham are doing well, but my money is on Wigan and Sunderland for automatic promotion. Glad we did not but it would have been no shame to have lost today.

• I watched the game live and watched it back on Sky so have a fair few comments. Today was a great game of football between two good League 1 sides. We edged the first half, and Sunderland edged the second but both sides had plenty of the chances. Watching live I felt Sunderland had edged it, but watching back I think a draw was a fair result.

JJ was exceptional today, what a player. Superb defensively and a great moment for the equaliser. @Safc_in_peace mentioned that our captain (Jacobson) should’ve received a second yellow and not been on the pitch for the winner. No idea what this referred to as JJ’s first yellow was a standard one, and he didn’t make a further foul in the game - odd comment. Also his comment on the ‘definite penalty’ on Gooch was comfortably outside the box, and although a shirt pull, was not given because of the delayed dive. Again, very odd.

On both viewings Sam Vokes was absolutely superb today, led the line brilliantly and I cannot commend him highly enough today. Mehmeti was great again, especially first half and he is improving his knowledge of when to release the ball - he has the potential to be a superstar. Everyone played well today though I thought aside from Grimmer having a bit of a torrid time first half (with little support) but improved well second half. Forino already looks a stronger player than he did a month ago and you can see the potential in him, despite a few errors today. Another great spot from the coaching team.

So, generally a really good point against perhaps the best team in the league. Alex Pritchard was phenomenal, then again he should be in League 1 having been transferred for £11 million just 4 years ago (and only being 28). And Ross Stewart was a cracking striker. I’d be really surprised if Sunderland didn’t finish in the top 2 along with Wigan or Rotherham.

At the game live, I thought the ref was reffing too much like 2020/21 season with any touch on a player being a free kick. And not much physical contact allowed which was a shame. Other refs this season seem to be allowing more contact and it’s made for a better spectacle. That is of course except for Hanlan, who never gets any decisions at all (but I do worry he has a reputation as for such a strong and pact player he goes down too easily, too often. If he could drive on more he’ll be an even bigger threat than the really good player he is). But watching the game back I have to say he hit every big decision right:

• Sunderland first goal. Bit of a push but just a stronger challenge from the striker, happy with that.
    • Our 2nd goal. Lots of shirt pulling from Sunderland, lots of pushing. If Sunderland’s first was allowed this was fine I think.
    • Hanlan penalty. Went down too easily, not enough for a penalty.
    • Possible red card on Scowen. It was a poor challenge but it was low on his foot so I think yellow was right. 6 inches higher it’s a red all day though.

Last comment was about the Sunderland fans (specifically in the ground) who I thought were great. Applauded wholeheartedly on 21 minutes, had a lot of good natured fun with Stockdale and were loud in their support throughout.

• Cheers Geoff bye

• @StrongestTeam said:

@WanderingDays said:

Disagree with this. Stewart deserved the match ball today and I'm glad he took it home. It would be very harsh to take the first goal away from him and I'm sure Stocko doesn't want it. Complaining about this is extremely petty and unnecessary imo

At least they didn't take anything fixed with them like the seats this time

The one I saw wrestled to the ground by a couple of rozzers must have taken a bite of the car park away with him.
    But he wasn’t a ordinary Mackem, he was a tar mackem

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@WanderingDays said:

Disagree with this. Stewart deserved the match ball today and I'm glad he took it home. It would be very harsh to take the first goal away from him and I'm sure Stocko doesn't want it. Complaining about this is extremely petty and unnecessary imo

The one I saw wrestled to the ground by a couple of rozzers must have taken a bite of the car park away with him.

Reminds me of one of my favourite jokes, which I'll try to tell more quickly than it deserves:

A chunk of black tarmac walks into a pub (as they do) and orders a beer, very brusquely, from the barman. He thereafter sits at the bar for the next hour antagonising all his fellow patrons with aggressive and unpleasant remarks. At that point, some orange tarmac walks in, orders a drink and sits down to drink. The whole time he is there, the black tarmac sits quietly, staring into his glass and saying not a word to anyone including the orange tarmac.

After a while, the orange tarmac drinks up and leaves. The barman goes over to the black tarmac and says:

"Considering how rude and unpleasant you've been since you came in, you went pretty quiet there. How come you didn't say anything to the orange tarmac?"

To which the reply comes:

"I'm not messing with him. He's a cycle path."

• edited January 2022

@Quarterman said:

At the game live, I thought the ref was reffing too much like 2020/21 season with any touch on a player being a free kick. And not much physical contact allowed which was a shame. Other refs this season seem to be allowing more contact and it’s made for a better spectacle. That is of course except for Hanlan, who never gets any decisions at all (but I do worry he has a reputation as for such a strong and pact player he goes down too easily, too often. If he could drive on more he’ll be an even bigger threat than the really good player he is). But watching the game back I have to say he hit every big decision right:

I, too, thought something like this. I appreciated the clarity of his decision-making which lent authority and confidence and he was generally in roughly the right place to make the best possible decisions. Were I reviewing the game with him (not that anyone would get anything special from going through that with me), I'd have plenty of positive feedback to give but would want to talk about potential inconsistency of decision-making. For all the positives, I found myself feeling very frustrated (a modest understatement) around the time of the free kick given against Hanlan for the one v one challenge that would have put him through on the wing in the second half when a couple of similarly ambiguous challenges went unpunished in different circumstances within the next couple of minutes.

• @HCblue said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@WanderingDays said:

Reminds me of one of my favourite jokes, which I'll try to tell more quickly than it deserves:

A chunk of black tarmac walks into a pub (as they do) and orders a beer, very brusquely, from the barman. He thereafter sits at the bar for the next hour antagonising all his fellow patrons with aggressive and unpleasant remarks. At that point, some orange tarmac walks in, orders a drink and sits down to drink. The whole time he is there, the black tarmac sits quietly, staring into his glass and saying not a word to anyone including the orange tarmac.

After a while, the orange tarmac drinks up and leaves. The barman goes over to the black tarmac and says:

"Considering how rude and unpleasant you've been since you came in, you went pretty quiet there. How come you didn't say anything to the orange tarmac?"

One of the classics haha! Never seen such a long version brilliant

• Cracking game yesterday, I thoroughly enjoyed it. An extremely well earned point against excellent opposition.

Like a few others, I found reading Sunderland's fans comments rather depressing. They seem convinced that JJ should've been sent off. I'm really not sure why though? The booking in the 1st half was a standard yellow, certainly no more than that. Didn't see anything else remotely worthy of a yellow from him? The challenge on Scowen by Emberton was much more of a borderline red card. In a match pleasingly free of sh*thousery, they seem convinced that's all we did all game. Such a pity they couldn't recognise the game for the wonderful advert for League One that it was. Like Plymouth the other week, their perceptions of us rather clouded what happened in front of them.

• @HCblue said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@WanderingDays said:

Very good

• A real highlight for me was seeing Bayo on the touchline giving instructions to players early on, giving a fantastic performance for the Sky cameras.

The day was marred by bizarre scuffling walking down Hillbottom Rd after the game. It's always a shame that when we play bigger teams, it attracts those who never come for the football, and just fancy a fight.

• @Shev said:
    Sunderland forum is hilarious reading - calling Wycombe fans the thickest in L1 in reference to this very thread, all while using a vocabulary of around seven misspelled words between them (and 'Marra' of course). Also, boasting that their threads are way longer than ours. Well then! Off to the PL with you, you massive club! Oh wait...

Maybe we should point to them to a historical Gasroom thread with a Shakespearian level of pun building, to blow their collective mind...

Literature and science, I wonder if they’re aware that the James Webb space telescope has completed its full deployment and with it scientists hope to see back to the first formation of stars, the beginnings of the universe and almost as far back as Sunderlands last stint in the premier league.

• When the Cambridge game was called off on Boxing Day I thought I'd treat the missus as she has put up with me swanning off to watch Wycombe every weekend. Our relationship had been stale for a while. She always cooks for me so thought this time I would make her a lovely meal. I wanted to go for something romantic so thought I'd knock up something French. French eat snails.

Turns out you can't get snails down Tescos, but in a moment of genius I remembered that there were always loads milling about in the graveyard of All Saints church next to the Antelope beer garden. So off I went gathering up snails whilst the weird goths watched on in amazement. As I was filling my satchel a lady walked by and said 'hello LX!'

It took me a while to register, but then I realised it was Julia, my first love as a young man, who I had fingered on this very spot as a spotty teenager. We chatted for ages before she invited me back to her flat (one of those on the Loakes Park site). I told her I had to be back to make this meal but she insisted, and we were getting on so well I agreed to have one drink with her.

One drink turned into two and three, at which point I told her I really needed to be getting home as I had promised to make this meal. But she flashed her eyes and tossed her hair and poured me another. So I stayed, wondering at the engineering that allowed tall buildings to be constructed on such a steep gradient.

The drinks flowed and my judgement waned. I thought about calling in to say I would be late but the bat on my phone was zero and Valencia seemed so far away. Before I knew what was happening we were in the bedroom, and I had a vision of Steve Bruce wagging his finger at me saying 'this isn't right LX!'

I jumped up and grabbed my satchel full of snails running to the bus station. Already three hours later than promised, I had said I would cook this dinner, and I wasn't going to let any siren stop me. Despite the whiskys blurring my vision and the zigzagging path through the Eden centre I eventually managed to get on a bus back to our house.

Drunkenly fumbling for my keys at the front door, I missed the front step and came crashing down, hitting my head on the door. The wife came out in a rage shouting 'where the bloody hell have you been?! You were supposed to be home hours ago!

As I lay there, head bleeding, snails scattered all around me, I said..

'Come on lads, almost there'

• @prufrock_91 said:

The day was marred by bizarre scuffling walking down Hillbottom Rd after the game. It's always a shame that when we play bigger teams, it attracts those who never come for the football, and just fancy a fight.

Just wait until we have Millwall to deal with next season

• It was Wycombe fans that appeared to be instigating it yesterday. As I said earlier up this thread, they had no regard whatsoever for the kids and families that were walking down Hillbottom Rd at the same time.

It was utterly pathetic and if they had a brain cell between them they should be thoroughly ashamed. On the evidence I saw yesterday however this doesn't seem realistic.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    Cracking game yesterday, I thoroughly enjoyed it. An extremely well earned point against excellent opposition.

Like a few others, I found reading Sunderland's fans comments rather depressing. They seem convinced that JJ should've been sent off. I'm really not sure why though? The booking in the 1st half was a standard yellow, certainly no more than that. Didn't see anything else remotely worthy of a yellow from him? The challenge on Scowen by Emberton was much more of a borderline red card. In a match pleasingly free of sh*thousery, they seem convinced that's all we did all game. Such a pity they couldn't recognise the game for the wonderful advert for League One that it was. Like Plymouth the other week, their perceptions of us rather clouded what happened in front of them.

Think they are talking about a shirt pull in the 2nd half by jj that they didn't get..followed by a shirt pull on Scowen which was given.Clutching at straws there I think..

• God they are a boring whinging bunch. I hope they miss out on automatic promotion and get thumped in the play-offs.

• Shameful if that is the case @eric_plant as the Sunderland fans leaving when I did were fine...if aggrieved at the result.

• Would say both teams can point their finger at a few decisions by the ref but actually the ref wasn't too bad.Let the game flow and tried not to be the one that decides the outcome of the match Was a great game !,

• I gave up complaining about shirt pulls around the time that the gasroom discussed fitting velcro on Bayo’s shirt so that it would come off in the defender’s hand.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Shameful if that is the case @eric_plant as the Sunderland fans leaving when I did were fine...if aggrieved at the result.

Yeah, I mean let's not blow it out of proportion. It was about 10 fans out of over 7,000. But that's enough to be knocking into innocent passers by and frightening young kids who had just watched a brilliant game of football.

As you say, nearly all fans of both sides were decent people you can have a chat with about the game as you leave the ground.

• @Aylesburyblue Cheers, yep I thought we were very fortunate to end up with a free kick from that incident. Still not sure why they feel JJ escaped a red card though? Wasn't anything free kick worthy in that chain of events, let alone a card. If they're that concerned about minor shirt pulls, then you'd think they'd be more accepting of the Vokes goal, despite Hanlan's apparent foul on their keeper