Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

1789101113»

Comments

• Wycombe do a meat draw?!

• @LX1 said:
    Wycombe do a meat draw?!

Innovation at last. Instead of the 50/50 draw.

• edited January 2022

Presumably this is all the meat that people aren't buying at £8 a burger?

• @LX1 said:
    Wycombe do a meat draw?!

Tut, tut! A vegan draw surley??

• Someone’s pulling my leg. Meat draws were last seen in 80s locals pubs surely?

• As I'm still paying for my seat under the old scheme, I assume I won't have to fight one of these new fangled subscribers who might covet my delightfully appointed Beechdean perch until the end of the season.

• @Malone said:
    Presumably this is all the meat that people aren't buying at £8 a burger?

Or a brace of partridges.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    Someone’s pulling my leg. Meat draws were last seen in 80s locals pubs surely?

I used to live in Guernsey where every pub had a weekly meat draw (and probably still do). It was the highlight of the week

• One week I won and the locals were furious. Had to throw away half of it as couldn't eat it in time

• @Lloyd2084 said:

Still popular in the Black Country (my better half's family tell me), where it's almost a tax for going to the pub in some establishments that press gang patrons (especially passing trade) to buy a few strips at least.

• The Harbour lights in Guernsey did a fish draw. Could have been in all sorts of trouble if won that one!

• @Lloyd2084 said:

They were very much alive in 2010 in Sitges near Barcelona where the kids and I lucked into an extensive pre-season week at the local ground shared by two clubs. Evening games watching the football enlivened by a raffle for the Jamon. Free entry to the game but to enter the Meat raffle was clearly expected. We never won.

• @LX1 said:
    Wycombe do a meat draw?!

Any money raised buys us a steak in Marcus Rasherford

• @Lloyd2084 said:

The Butcher's Tap in Marlow is doing one this month!

• Well you learn something everyday!

There’s a whole meat based competition culture that had somehow passed me by.

I’ve been veggie for 25 years so perhaps I just filtered it out.

• @FmG said:

@Lloyd2084 said:

The Butcher's Tap in Marlow is doing one this month!

Worth a butchers?

• I bet that American guy with a pigs heart is getting worried ?‍♂️

• @LX1 said:
    The Harbour lights in Guernsey did a fish draw. Could have been in all sorts of trouble if won that one!

During my time living in Southampton I've heard all sorts of (hopefully) apocryphal tales of what lonely fishermen from a nearby city got up to, surely you were neither lonely nor a fisherman at the time of the raffle?!

• edited January 2022

Our local pub in Notts does a meat raffle. And I bought a ticket to one at a Stocksbridge Park Steels match once - it was a bitterly cold night so the wares (including pigs' trotters) were on display as you exited the turnstiles.

• Meat Raffles were all the rage in the 70's, 80's and early 90's in pubs and clubs, Also very salty roast potatoes and other salty nibbles to make you sup faster were placed on the bar by shrewd landlords, and free killer pool to get people to stay longer.

• Which pub @arnos_grove I want to make my trips up to see family more exciting?

• The expression "no such thing as a free lunch" apparently comes from the Gold Rush when saloons would provide purportedly free food but heavily salted so that it "encouraged" people to drink more.