Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• @TheDancingYak said:

@Wendoverman said:
    I cannot understand...once Vokes has run himself to a standstill...why people get so worked up about one of our top goal scorers coming on against a tiring defence. It's as if - despite all the evidence - they have no idea what he brings to the team.

I know of someone, previously a season ticket holder of twenty years, that says he’ll not go to another game while Bayo is in the squad “because he can’t run and adds nothing to the team”.

The splutters and chokes when you point out he’s out league top score is as Hilarious as it is sad

Oh well, we don't need fans like that.

• I hasten to add. I thought it WAS a pen myself but apart from that did not think the ref had a bad game. Hanlan also seems to have assumed the mantle of 'he's a big lad so cannot be fouled' from refs that Uche seemed to expertly side step.

• edited January 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • 'Ross' not 'Tory Rory' Stewart.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Shows how people see things differently. I thought the referee was okay on the whole. Except for the Hanlon pen call I cannot remember being aggrieved by too much.

Depends on your view of it I guess. Stood on the Valley End barely 10 yards from it, directly in my line of vision, the defender clearly made contact with Hanlon after the ball had gone. No TV camera had a better view of it, everyone who was in that bit of the terrace was convinced it should have been a pen. The ref seems to have in his head that Hanlon is a diver and gave him the square root of zilch all game. If it had been him that Embleton (I think it was) went studs in on, I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd booked Hanlon.

It's HanLAN for ruckery's sake :D

• But he went down every so easily didn't he?

Other times he seems to get battered for zero returns though.
    Yet if he puts in similar levels of challenge, the ref quickly blows up - as seen with him escaping on the touchline and "scoring" after it'd been blown up.

• Hanlan was impeccable today and Mehmeti was incredible first half

• Ross Stewart was absolutely outstanding wasn't he? Best player we've come up against this season for me

(In league 1 that is, he's not quite as good as De Bruyne)

• Anyone else see the scuffle outside after full time . You’ve got to wonder about people that would start fighting five yards away from a van full of rozzers

@Safc_in_peace said:
    Shame the ref was playing for you but well done to keep going to the end.

Nice try, if a bit obvious. Robson Green levels of fishing there.

I think both sets of fan feel that he was against their team, you claim you should have had a pen, we claim that your second was both a foul and offside. We think that Gooch was fouled in the box for an obvious penalty, you think the Embleton should have seen red, we think that your captain should have had a second yellow and should not have been on the park to score in the last minute.

Football is all about opinion and we all wear rose tinted glasses when watching our teams. But that the reason we keep coming back week after week, year after year.

All in all a good game and a good advert for League 1.

• Yeah, with so many kids about it was absolutely disgraceful

Absolute wankers the lot of them

• edited January 2022

@MorrisItal_ said:
    Anyone else see the scuffle outside after full time . You’ve got to wonder about people that would start fighting five yards away from a van full of rozzers

Heard a bunch of our kids shouting at a few Sunderland kids, but then the Sunderland kids just continued about their business, swearing a lot, but as indecipherable as if it was a foreign language.

Saw a police van hurtling towards the ground though, and 4 more relaxed coppers strolling that direction.

At some point they could also do with having a huge sign up saying "if you are driving this direction at xxx time, WHY, 1,000s of people are walking towards you and you'll simply find yourself in an awkward position".

• edited January 2022

There was an angle from behind on Sky which they only showed once, but the fella pulled the challenge and Hanlan jumped expecting contact which never came.

From most other angles it looked like a bailed on pen.

• edited January 2022

@Safc_in_peace said:

@ReadingMarginalista said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

I think both sets of fan feel that he was against their team, you claim you should have had a pen, we claim that your second was both a foul and offside. We think that Gooch was fouled in the box for an obvious penalty, you think the Embleton should have seen red, we think that your captain should have had a second yellow and should not have been on the park to score in the last minute.

Football is all about opinion and we all wear rose tinted glasses when watching our teams. But that the reason we keep coming back week after week, year after year.

Our second wasn’t a foul or offside.
    1 no one could have been offside for the initial kick
    2. The next touch was a Sunderland player
    3. There are two Sunderland defenders at least inline with Hanlan at the point of Vokes touch
    4. Hanlan was pushed towards your keeper by your own defender
    5. He has no obligation to get out of the keepers way.
    6. There is clear pulling on Vokes at the moment of his touch and further pushing on Hanlan to move him past the keeper and into the goal (through your keeper seemingly)

Don’t believe me?

We scored because we did what we always do: If you don’t win the first ball you make sure you win the second. Your defenders switched off stopped attacking the ball and got out muscled. Simple as that.

• Anyone an idea what Rob said at HT? Literally didn't catch a word of it.

• Ok, just got in had a few beers, so forgive me if I miss anything !

JJ superb !
    I thought it was a penalty on Hanlan
    What great game, I had people who don't support Wycombe messaging me saying what a game it was !
    Thought the ref was poor for both teams
    Thought Horgan should've come on for Hanlan with 20 mins to go.
    Stewart was fantastic for them, I'd be amazed if they keep hold of him.
    Vokes was only just behind JJ, never lost a header
    Hope their lad is OK.

I've not thought of half as much as I wanted to say.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Anyone an idea what Rob said at HT? Literally didn't catch a word of it.

10 winners (of something) got their name on the screen and get (some prize that couldn't be heard).
    Told the Sunderland lot he was pleased they'd made it (after taking a load of abuse).

Then said something about you could win a prize to be chairman for the day? Unless I totally misheard or made that bit up!?

• The clearest foul in the moments before our second was on Chris Forino.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

3. There are two Sunderland defenders at least inline with Hanlan at the point of Vokes touch
    6. There is clear pulling on Vokes at the moment of his touch and further pushing on Hanlan to move him past the keeper and into the goal (through your keeper seemingly)

Don’t believe me?

We scored because we did what we always do: If you don’t win the first ball you make sure you win the second. Your defenders switched off stopped attacking the ball and got out muscled. Simple as that.

I’d be bollocking my defenders for making more effort pulling shirts than jumping and heading footballs

• Jeeeez it’s tiring having to listen to whining managers and fans of oppositions spouting the same old sh1t after failing to beat us. We played superbly at times. Mehmeti was outstanding. JJ once again showed why he’s among the best in the game.
    Just acknowledge it was a great game. Fair goals all round. Points shared. Well done one and all. Ok you had a dodgy decision - well we had plenty too. Move on.

• @username123 said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

Don’t believe me?

I’d be bollocking my defenders for making more effort pulling shirts than jumping and heading footballs

Absolutely.

“You know what you get with Wycombe” should mean “ we know know how to defend against them”.

Funny how many times that isn’t the case.

• edited January 2022

At some point they could also do with having a huge sign up saying "if you are driving this direction at xxx time, WHY, 1,000s of people are walking towards you and you'll simply find yourself in an awkward position".

Can you imagine the conversation….

“Don’t suppose you can pick me up later?”

“Yes, no problem - whereabouts?”

“Oh you know, just the busiest place for all traffic and pedestrians, all going in one direction - towards you in fact - that you can think of in between Milton Keynes and Reading on a Saturday afternoon. Sometimes there will be police horses to dodge thrown in for good measure too. There’s the odd 40ft articulated lorry trailer, a handful of drunk people to contend with as well. Chances are 20% of the pedestrians will be really pissed off, maybe 80% depending on the result - but I’m sure they will be no trouble at all and happily let you squeeze through as they grip they child’s hand tightly.”

“Mmm, sure you can’t maybe walk for 15mins and head somewhere that sounds a tad more convenient”

“Nope”

• They are such a whinging bunch.
    BTW - Great to see Steve Brown at the game today, he would got into that bunch of whingebags!!!!!

• @Malone said:

That's a shocker! I must have Father Ted on the brain.

@Malone said:

That's a shocker! I must have Father Ted on the brain.

Haha, easily done pal, I wrote Stuart instead of Stewart when not concentrating one time.
    But 3 times in one post was fishing for either me, or @micra to get involved :D

• @Gary said:
    Brakespear is my least favourite referee BUT I think he had a decent game today. I think he got most things right and I liked the way he didn’t allow the players or fans to influence any of his decisions. That said, Sunderland could have arguably been down to 10 men for that foul on Josh.

As someone eluded to earlier, we need to keep GMac on corners so that both sides can be in-swingers.

You are forgetting Kettle (Can't remember his first name). How he is still refereeing at this level is beyond me!

I thought Brakespear had a good game today. Yes he missed the potential red card but the assistant on that side would have had a good angle on it and should have given his input too!

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Jeeeez it’s tiring having to listen to whining managers and fans of oppositions spouting the same old sh1t after failing to beat us. We played superbly at times. Mehmeti was outstanding. JJ once again showed why he’s among the best in the game.
    Just acknowledge it was a great game. Fair goals all round. Points shared. Well done one and all. Ok you had a dodgy decision - well we had plenty too. Move on.

Johnson was at it, talking about contrasts in style!
    When we have some of the best ball players in the league, and they aimed plenty of high balls and crosses to their target man too!

• @Otter87 said:

@Gary said:
    Brakespear is my least favourite referee BUT I think he had a decent game today. I think he got most things right and I liked the way he didn’t allow the players or fans to influence any of his decisions. That said, Sunderland could have arguably been down to 10 men for that foul on Josh.

As someone eluded to earlier, we need to keep GMac on corners so that both sides can be in-swingers.

You are forgetting Kettle (Can't remember his first name). How he is still refereeing at this level is beyond me!

Trevor! At least his incompetence is usually spread equally between both teams.