Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• I thought he was pretty fair really

Would have been silly for him to sit there and claim we are the living embodiment of 70s Holland

• @LeedsBlue said:
    It would be nice to think that yesterday’s game might have changed a few Mackem minds. Both sides, and the game of football, emerged with a huge amount of credit. Contrasting styles, both teams battling 100% for everything, huge amount of quality on show. Better than League One level.

I could certainly watch that every week.

POTY (so far)

• edited January 2022

@eric-plant Aye. Maybe I hoped he might've said "but we saw another side to Wycombe today..."

Jordan Krol, Anis Cruyff, Garath Neeskens. Come on...!!

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @peterparrotface Sam said "...are they one of the prettiest teams to watch? No. Do they string lots of passes together? No. Are they going to give everything for the manager, run til the last whistle and put their bodies on the line? Yes".

He went on to say that he predicted to Kevin Phillips before the last corner that we would score from it, "because that's how they go about their business".

On reflection, it's all perfectly fair. When I was listening to it, it sounded like more of a backhanded compliment. But he has a flat, monotone delivery to sometimes his positives sound like negatives. I guess it felt to me like I had just watched us at our 'prettiest', yet he was still playing to the stereotypes...

I took it as more of a compliment than a put down but he knows the setup well enough, any dig more to do with watching balls fly over his head and being sacrificed as a luxury player at times perhaps.

• @Safc_in_peace said:

@Ed_ said:
    @Safc_in_peace - In consideration of the overwhelming majority in your parts for the removal of the European shadow over UK affairs, how does the French ownership of the local football club sit with your lot?

As an out and out remainer and rejoinder, I have no issues with it. While being owned by a murdering human rights denying country is a totally different matter.

Er, we aren't owned by a county dear chap.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

I think he’s referring to Newcastle

• @Watford_Blue said:

@Ed_ said:
    How does timekeeping work these days? Aside from the 30 seconds for each substitution and each goal (which appears to be observed about as much as the laws governing throw ins and kicking the ball away), does the ref have to instruct the 4th official when they consider a delay in starting the game to warrant additional time being added or does the 4th official make that decision?

I checked and don't believe 30 seconds is automatically added for a goal - only where there is excessive time spent celebrating. So actually in the case of Sunderland and our 3rd goals reckon the ref should have added 30 seconds each.

I hate technology in football. But I would like the 4th official to decide how much time should be added. Invariably I think not enough time is added. The ref's got enough to do without stopping his watch for 10 seconds here and there when a keeper is fannying around with a goal kick, or he books a player for time-wasting etc

I referee and I don’t add any time for goals, unless excessive, time wasting celebrations. Add on 30 seconds per sub and add on time for each injury where a trainer entered the pitch, and add on for time wasting.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@Ed_ said:
    @Safc_in_peace - In consideration of the overwhelming majority in your parts for the removal of the European shadow over UK affairs, how does the French ownership of the local football club sit with your lot?

As an out and out remainer and rejoinder, I have no issues with it. While being owned by a murdering human rights denying country is a totally different matter.

Nor does he suggest that ...

Got to watch your Rs.

• @LX1 said:
    It is of course the northern wall racists who got Brexit over the line

Are you saying that everyone who voted for Brexit is a racist?

• @glasshalffull said:

@LX1 said:

No he isn't.
    That was easy.

• @glasshalffull said:

@LX1 said:

I don't think he is but I would say that most racists voted for Brexit

• The most time was wasted from them setting up for a pointless short goal kick, only to realise it wasn't on so having to wait whilst everyone up trotted long for an old fashioned punt. Timewasting b*stards!

• @martyjhall said:

@glasshalffull said:

@LX1 said:

I don't think he is but I would say that most racists voted for Brexit

I think we've done this one and taking the knee to death...please don't make me block anyone else. :smile:

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@Ed_ said:

Re-read both the post and the context brother!!

• I daresay some have pre-judged the referee on this thread in much the same way opposition fans pre-judge us. I thought he had a very good game (which was as much of a surprise to me as anyone). There were a couple of decisions that could have gone either way for both sides, but that's always the case in any match played at that intensity. There certainly weren't any glaring errors. Many would have been fuming if the penalty decision that didn't go Hanlan's way had gone against us. The foul on Scowen could have been a red, but it certainly wasn't clear-cut.

I thoroughly enjoyed an exceptional game of football played at very high intensity which the referee generally managed very well. I do agree with a couple of posters on here that there should have been a couple more minutes added on at the end though. Perhaps we were denied the grandstand finish to end all grandstand finishes, we'll just never know.

On to tomorrow night. How lucky we are...

• @Steve_Peart said:
    A wholly positive report on the day.

https://www.prostinternational.com/2022/01/09/273103/

Great report.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Steve_Peart said:
    A wholly positive report on the day.

https://www.prostinternational.com/2022/01/09/273103/

Great report.

I have to say I found some of the flow, sentence construction and mix of verbosity with slang really strange. Felt like it had been posted by Google translate.

• @YorkExile said:
    I daresay some have pre-judged the referee on this thread in much the same way opposition fans pre-judge us. I thought he had a very good game (which was as much of a surprise to me as anyone). There were a couple of decisions that could have gone either way for both sides, but that's always the case in any match played at that intensity. There certainly weren't any glaring errors. Many would have been fuming if the penalty decision that didn't go Hanlan's way had gone against us. The foul on Scowen could have been a red, but it certainly wasn't clear-cut.

I thoroughly enjoyed an exceptional game of football played at very high intensity which the referee generally managed very well. I do agree with a couple of posters on here that there should have been a couple more minutes added on at the end though. Perhaps we were denied the grandstand finish to end all grandstand finishes, we'll just never know.

Have to agree with you..Ref certainly doesn't not have many friends at most clubs but there was no glaring big mistake on Saturday. Few decisions could have gone either way.The only one I thought he really did get wrong was when Hanlan seemed to get the better of their fullback wide left and he blew up for a foul that just wasn't there.

• @Aylesburyblue said:

@YorkExile said:
    I daresay some have pre-judged the referee on this thread in much the same way opposition fans pre-judge us. I thought he had a very good game (which was as much of a surprise to me as anyone). There were a couple of decisions that could have gone either way for both sides, but that's always the case in any match played at that intensity. There certainly weren't any glaring errors. Many would have been fuming if the penalty decision that didn't go Hanlan's way had gone against us. The foul on Scowen could have been a red, but it certainly wasn't clear-cut.

Have to agree with you..Ref certainly doesn't not have many friends at most clubs but there was no glaring big mistake on Saturday. Few decisions could have gone either way.The only one I thought he really did get wrong was when Hanlan seemed to get the better of their fullback wide left and he blew up for a foul that just wasn't there.

Same here. In the context of the game as a whole, I was spitting tacks about that one but thought he had a solid game overall.

• Scrolling back to enjoy the in-game melt-down....Mackem fans seemed to be strangely obsessed with GA's appearance rather than what was happening in the game. I mean after about eight games, surely they should be used to long hair and leather jacket by now? Took quite a while before one person decided JJ should have been sent off and then they all started agreeing. Then they wonder why we celebrate a 'Tinpot' point with such pleasure. I thought Lee Johnson's hat looked silly.

• No hat is ever going to look at good as Jason Cousins' one at Wembley!

• @Wendoverman said:
    I thought Lee Johnson's hat looked silly.

We spent the match referring to him as Small Tisdale.

• Any one listen to Ron’s half time speech? What was going on about. I was surprised he got distracted by the Sunderland fan’s encouragement, and I lost interest after that.

• Was he trying to source waterproof fireworks ?

• @Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    Any one listen to Ron’s half time speech? What was going on about. I was surprised he got distracted by the Sunderland fan’s encouragement, and I lost interest after that.

No one has explained what happened yet other than Rob seemed to be calling a Hulk Hogan v Mr Perfect match.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Scrolling back to enjoy the in-game melt-down....Mackem fans seemed to be strangely obsessed with GA's appearance rather than what was happening in the game. I mean after about eight games, surely they should be used to long hair and leather jacket by now? Took quite a while before one person decided JJ should have been sent off and then they all started agreeing. Then they wonder why we celebrate a 'Tinpot' point with such pleasure. I thought Lee Johnson's hat looked silly.

I genuinely think it's jealousy, when they look at their dull second hand salesman esque manager in comparison to the one hell of a dude we have for ours.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@Ed_ said:

I know but our friends at Newcastle are.

• LX1LX1
    edited January 2022

A lot of rival fans seem to focus on Ainsworth's appearance when we win/draw against them.

Tbf a lot think he is the coolest manager in World football

• @Lloyd2084 There was a bit of "let's be avin' you", but mainly big news about his subscriber concept and pointing to the subscriber meat draw winners on the big screen. No mention of cleaner toilets and all so loud I was struggling to have a chat with my fellow fans.