Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• Sunderland got more luck from officials than most teams will ever get (beach ball goal...). They should be grateful.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    @Aylesburyblue Cheers, yep I thought we were very fortunate to end up with a free kick from that incident. Still not sure why they feel JJ escaped a red card though? Wasn't anything free kick worthy in that chain of events, let alone a card. If they're that concerned about minor shirt pulls, then you'd think they'd be more accepting of the Vokes goal, despite Hanlan's apparent foul on their keeper

Certainly not worthy of a 2nd yellow card.Wasn't discussed by commentary or the pundits in the studio.

• The tussle on the pitch always seems to be followed by verbal tussles off it.
    The first has a referee and the second doesn't otherwise time would have been blown.

• I know luck evens out, but omg the subtle spin off the turf that sent Stewart’s shot from just going wide to just going in. Fine margins.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    I know luck evens out, but omg the subtle spin off the turf that sent Stewart’s shot from just going wide to just going in. Fine margins.

This is exactly what I came here to mention. I was sitting at a similar angle to the camera and couldn’t believe when the ball made that little change of direction (I put it down to a bobble on the pitch), before that it was hitting the post at best. Incredible bit of luck. I was trying to convince others around me that it happened but understandably they were just frustrated by conceding and hadn’t picked up on it.

• edited January 2022

@BlueBoy said:

@LeedsBlue said:
    I know luck evens out, but omg the subtle spin off the turf that sent Stewart’s shot from just going wide to just going in. Fine margins.

This is exactly what I came here to mention. I was sitting at a similar angle to the camera and couldn’t believe when the ball made that little change of direction (I put it down to a bobble on the pitch), before that it was hitting the post at best. Incredible bit of luck. I was trying to convince others around me that it happened but understandably they were just frustrated by conceding and hadn’t picked up on it.

Yes, it was going wide and looked like it took a bobble, or maybe a bit of spin from the outside of Stewart's boot? That was agonising. But if that goal doesn't go in, do Wycombe charge up the other end and score our third?

• Someone said their man was "unlucky" not to get the first goal.
    It hit the bar and wasn't going in without touching the keeper. Shot off target I'm afraid!

• Yes, their 3rd goal was agonising to watch. I was sat directly in line and it definitely wasn't going in. It was heading wide, or hitting the post at best, but then seemed to hit a divet in the turf that changed the direction of the ball. You could hear an very audible groan in the Frank Adams, as the ball altered it's trajectory and suddenly started rolling into the goal rather than wide.

• All this talk about Stewart being denied a hat trick, but the first goal was an og and the 3rd was from an off target shot that took an extraordinarily fortunate bounce off the pitch!

I'll give him the 2nd mind you and do accept he's a fantastic player for Sunderland to have at League One level!

• The first is never his, he hits the bar and is pretty luck to see it roll down behind stocko and bounce of the back of his legs, feel people being a bit uncharitable about the third that seemed to have a good bit of spin on it.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    The first is never his, he hits the bar and is pretty luck to see it roll down behind stocko and bounce of the back of his legs, feel people being a bit uncharitable about the third that seemed to have a good bit of spin on it.

Agreed. It was a very well taken goal under pressure. The reason it reacted like that off the turf was because of the spin applied to the shot.

• @Safc_in_peace - In consideration of the overwhelming majority in your parts for the removal of the European shadow over UK affairs, how does the French ownership of the local football club sit with your lot?

• edited January 2022

By the by, and changing the subject a little, I had my watch on the second half extra time. The ref played roughly nine minutes and ten seconds. In other words, he added on nothing for the two goals, two substitutions and a little bit of slow play here and there in between the goals. Not one second.

As I wrote earlier, I was happy enough with the referee yesterday and do not mean this as a personal criticism (not least since I don't think it applies uniquely to him) but this really cannot be right if we do mean to make some pretence of keeping time properly.

• Roughly 9mins and 10secs? Could I push you for a more accurate figure please.

• Had similar thoughts about the added time @HCblue - after the equaliser I was expecting us to have another 2-3 mins to go for a winner!

• Their third goal, bobble or not, was excellent CF play and we were lucky not to concede a couple of times when they broke...kudos to Stocko and JJ. First goal was a bit embarrassing. It looked like clear OG to me.

• @Ed_ said:
    Roughly 9mins and 10secs? Could I push you for a more accurate figure please.

:-)

I hedged because I did not start my watch exactly on ninety minutes, but I'd be certain it was less than 9.5 minutes and confident it was within ten seconds of my figure!

• @Glenactico said:
    Had similar thoughts about the added time @HCblue - after the equaliser I was expecting us to have another 2-3 mins to go for a winner!

Same here.

• First goal was an own goal, if it hadn't of bounced up and hit Stocko it wouldn't have gone in, pretty obvious from the terrace. Of course the 3rd goal is his, ridiculous to say otherwise, he hit it and no one else touched it before it went in

• How does timekeeping work these days? Aside from the 30 seconds for each substitution and each goal (which appears to be observed about as much as the laws governing throw ins and kicking the ball away), does the ref have to instruct the 4th official when they consider a delay in starting the game to warrant additional time being added or does the 4th official make that decision?

• One thought from yesterday - we had 3 corners and scored from 2 of them. Sunderland 10 and scored from none. If I were Lee Johnson, that would make me pretty cross.

• Just started watching the extended highlights on ifollow. According to the commentator Sunderland are a "massive club at this level"!

Made me laugh so much I spilt my cup of tea.

• @LX1 said:
    When the Cambridge game was called off on Boxing Day I thought I'd treat the missus as she has put up with me swanning off to watch Wycombe every weekend. Our relationship had been stale for a while. She always cooks for me so thought this time I would make her a lovely meal. I wanted to go for something romantic so thought I'd knock up something French. French eat snails.

Turns out you can't get snails down Tescos, but in a moment of genius I remembered that there were always loads milling about in the graveyard of All Saints church next to the Antelope beer garden. So off I went gathering up snails whilst the weird goths watched on in amazement. As I was filling my satchel a lady walked by and said 'hello LX!'

It took me a while to register, but then I realised it was Julia, my first love as a young man, who I had fingered on this very spot as a spotty teenager. We chatted for ages before she invited me back to her flat (one of those on the Loakes Park site). I told her I had to be back to make this meal but she insisted, and we were getting on so well I agreed to have one drink with her.

One drink turned into two and three, at which point I told her I really needed to be getting home as I had promised to make this meal. But she flashed her eyes and tossed her hair and poured me another. So I stayed, wondering at the engineering that allowed tall buildings to be constructed on such a steep gradient.

The drinks flowed and my judgement waned. I thought about calling in to say I would be late but the bat on my phone was zero and Valencia seemed so far away. Before I knew what was happening we were in the bedroom, and I had a vision of Steve Bruce wagging his finger at me saying 'this isn't right LX!'

I jumped up and grabbed my satchel full of snails running to the bus station. Already three hours later than promised, I had said I would cook this dinner, and I wasn't going to let any siren stop me. Despite the whiskys blurring my vision and the zigzagging path through the Eden centre I eventually managed to get on a bus back to our house.

Drunkenly fumbling for my keys at the front door, I missed the front step and came crashing down, hitting my head on the door. The wife came out in a rage shouting 'where the bloody hell have you been?! You were supposed to be home hours ago!

As I lay there, head bleeding, snails scattered all around me, I said..

'Come on lads, almost there'

Great story @LX1. Entirely plausible and not a sniff of plagiarism! ????

• @LX1 said:
    When the Cambridge game was called off on Boxing Day I thought I'd treat the missus as she has put up with me swanning off to watch Wycombe every weekend. Our relationship had been stale for a while. She always cooks for me so thought this time I would make her a lovely meal. I wanted to go for something romantic so thought I'd knock up something French. French eat snails.

Turns out you can't get snails down Tescos, but in a moment of genius I remembered that there were always loads milling about in the graveyard of All Saints church next to the Antelope beer garden. So off I went gathering up snails whilst the weird goths watched on in amazement. As I was filling my satchel a lady walked by and said 'hello LX!'

It took me a while to register, but then I realised it was Julia, my first love as a young man, who I had fingered on this very spot as a spotty teenager. We chatted for ages before she invited me back to her flat (one of those on the Loakes Park site). I told her I had to be back to make this meal but she insisted, and we were getting on so well I agreed to have one drink with her.

One drink turned into two and three, at which point I told her I really needed to be getting home as I had promised to make this meal. But she flashed her eyes and tossed her hair and poured me another. So I stayed, wondering at the engineering that allowed tall buildings to be constructed on such a steep gradient.

The drinks flowed and my judgement waned. I thought about calling in to say I would be late but the bat on my phone was zero and Valencia seemed so far away. Before I knew what was happening we were in the bedroom, and I had a vision of Steve Bruce wagging his finger at me saying 'this isn't right LX!'

I jumped up and grabbed my satchel full of snails running to the bus station. Already three hours later than promised, I had said I would cook this dinner, and I wasn't going to let any siren stop me. Despite the whiskys blurring my vision and the zigzagging path through the Eden centre I eventually managed to get on a bus back to our house.

Drunkenly fumbling for my keys at the front door, I missed the front step and came crashing down, hitting my head on the door. The wife came out in a rage shouting 'where the bloody hell have you been?! You were supposed to be home hours ago!

As I lay there, head bleeding, snails scattered all around me, I said..

'Come on lads, almost there'

I don’t get it

• Absolutely fantastic game. Still smiling at the quality, drama and non-stop action.

We could have got a draw by matching up and putting more bodies in the midfield but I wouldn't want to watch that every week! Brave management and hopefully the excitement it created adds a few hundred to our standard home gate.

Even if Sunderland thought the ref played for us, I'd have thought they'd have forgiven him after his (frustratingly excellent) decision to play advantage for their winner (sic).

It never gets given, so an observation rather than a gripe, but wasn't the 'keeper reckless, and didn't he endanger an opponent whilst wiping out his own player?

• @OakwoodExile said:
    One thought from yesterday - we had 3 corners and scored from 2 of them. Sunderland 10 and scored from none. If I were Lee Johnson, that would make me pretty cross.

Real area of strength for us with McCleary now helping JJ out and a whole range of targets, can't be many clubs with that quality. You have to laugh at managers who moan that this is some kind of style crime. Do your defensive work in training.

• I hope the lad who ran on the pitch and took a selfie with JJ after the goal doesn’t get a ban, he was marched off arm in arm by two stewards, I felt somewhat officiously. And it was pretty funny.

• @Ed_ said:
    @Safc_in_peace - In consideration of the overwhelming majority in your parts for the removal of the European shadow over UK affairs, how does the French ownership of the local football club sit with your lot?

As an out and out remainer and rejoinder, I have no issues with it. While being owned by a murdering human rights denying country is a totally different matter.

• It is of course the northern wall racists who got Brexit over the line