Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• You've made their badge the same size as ours; surely it should be much bigger.

• I see that the black cats are struggling to climb and look unlikely to get up. They seem angry about it.

• Wouldn't it be nice if only just for today, to play the way we know we can ! Knock it around and play them off the park and have a comfortable win, no dark arts, no time wasting. In doing so totally shutting them up with all the crap they keep saying about us.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Wouldn't it be nice if only just for today, to play the way we know we can ! Knock it around and play them off the park and have a comfortable win, no dark arts, no time wasting. In doing so totally shutting them up with all the crap they keep saying about us.

Nooo, turn the shithousery dial up to 11 today.

• Another that has changed it's badge for the worse. Matching the team on the pitch I guess

• Gutted that I’m missing the game today as I’ve tested positive for Covid. Will be cheering us on from home. COYB.

• edited January 2022

@LX1 said:
    Another that has changed it's badge for the worse. Matching the team on the pitch I guess

The old one had a ship on it, right?

• @Gary said:
    Gutted that I’m missing the game today as I’ve tested positive for Covid. Will be cheering us on from home. COYB.

Get well soon!

• @Gary - hope you will be ok soon. I also hope you have much cheering.

• For anyone who, like me, doesn't have Sky, NOW TV are doing a Sports day pass for £9.99 which is valid for 24 hours and will give you access to the game (Sky Sports Main Event channel) as well as everything else they offer.

• Sounds like we have seven out with Covid, but the club have not said who yet. The team sheet will be interesting.

• @Safc_in_peace said:
    Sounds like we have seven out with Covid, but the club have not said who yet. The team sheet will be interesting.

We’ve just announced our assistant manager, coach and analyst are also away from the game. With our manager missing the last two games with covid and our history of not talking about injuries/absences of first team players, this might be a game of second elevens!

• Could be a back 4 with Obita left wing? Certainly interchangeable with our usual 352 setup today.

• In the end three changes from the last game, but a very much reduced bench.

Both of our keepers are out, hence the young lad being called back from loan starts, he did make his debut against you lot at our place.

With one of the three at the back in the last game out and the wingback, it looks like we will have to change the system to four at the back, which could disrupt the understanding which has been developed over the recent good run.

All in all it’s still a decent starting XI but not much on the bench.

• Dobbo, Blooms & A N Other. Assume GA OK.

• Team looks fairly standard without Taff

• So of our absentees, Gape and Freeman are long term injuries, Kaikai is on international duty and today we’re missing Jase and DW - both covid?

• This will be a test of our strength in depth, when you add those out injured to the Covid victims we have 13 of the first team squad missing.

So I think that the club should praised for getting a team out, other wouldn’t.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Could be a back 4 with Obita left wing? Certainly interchangeable with our usual 352 setup today.

That’s what I though. Possibly back to the 442 diamond with a screen holding mid, anis further forward in the middle with Gmac and Obita the right and left of the diamond. Served us ok in previous season.

Depends out Sunderland play though in my mind as that could give them the option of getting down out flanks and we’d mis a lot of attacking threat if GMac and obita are pushed to help grimmer and JJ in defence

Still it’s nice to have a team and squad that gives us the options.

• Gareth: ‘Jason is missing, it’s out of our control’

So yeah I guess either covid or a huge bid from Man City.

• They picked on Forino there.

• Looked like a push on him

• Defo a push on Forino

• Cracking Anis!!

• Stop that Anis!

• Great response, good personal moment for Anis as well

• This has been a fantastic game so far.

• BBC have Sunderland 59% possession. Really?