Skip to content

Match day thread: Hartlepool (FA Cup)

Comments

• @Shev said:

@uptheblues said:
    All I can here is Hartlepool fans

Good luck to Portsmouth today!

Ignore him, he's still sucking his thumb and throwing a fit that his little bang bang machine has been banned

• @HolmerBlue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I don't understand how a potentially (although probably not) costly defeat in our bid for promotion could be more disappointing than going out of a competition that's a lottery in terms of who you play and which we're in every season anyway. But maybe that's also an age thing!

I have to say your whole attitude towards the FA Cup is dreadful.

Wimbledon away at selhurst Park is probably my best Wycombe memory ever

Sorry, must try harder!

• It's fine to love the FA Cup. It's also fine to not be that bothered about it and to want it bringing fully into the modern day.

• @HolmerBlue said:

@Shev said:

@uptheblues said:
    All I can here is Hartlepool fans

Good luck to Portsmouth today!

Ignore him, he's still sucking his thumb and throwing a fit that his little bang bang machine has been banned

Who hell you

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I don't understand how a potentially (although probably not) costly defeat in our bid for promotion could be more disappointing than going out of a competition that's a lottery in terms of who you play and which we're in every season anyway. But maybe that's also an age thing!

See I like watching Wycombe play football and a replay is an extra game. Also replay meant you hadn't lost.
    Not much else to say really but as you've muted me it doesn't even matter

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    It's fine to love the FA Cup. It's also fine to not be that bothered about it and to want it bringing fully into the modern day.

By modern day I have to assume you mean 'make shitter'. No respect at all for older football fans.

• I want us to win today and get promoted. You genuinely don’t have to choose.

• Sensitive lot on here, bloody hell

• @floyd said:
    I want us to win today and get promoted. You genuinely don’t have to choose.

Yeah fair point

• As already mentioned the Wimbledon replay was fantastic I also remember a superb night, despite losing, at West Brom in a replay

• I love the FA Cup but I think we can all see that Gareth’s selection today means that we are focussed on getting promotion, which I totally agree with.

• Most attempts to bring the FA cup up to date seem to just seek to move it out of the way so the bigger clubs can go and play in Europe and don't have to lower themselves by playing against the likes of us. Replays gave you a good chance to try again and settle a score or two, they're also a spontaneous extra optional game and a different story to league form which may or may not be great.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    It's fine to love the FA Cup. It's also fine to not be that bothered about it and to want it bringing fully into the modern day.

By modern day I have to assume you mean 'make shitter'. No respect at all for older football fans.

I think it’s quite a stretch to say ‘no respect’. We all have opinions and different perspectives on things. The FA Cup is magical for everyone, but particularly for those of a slightly older generation where the FA Cup genuinely was the pinnacle of the sport. Like it or loathe it, it’s not that pinnacle anymore, and given Wycombe’s ambitions this season I’d agree that a replay wouldn’t suit us on this occasion. Probably no less than it’d suit Hartlepool who would probably prefer it done in a single game.

Does that seem a fair conclusion to draw given the way we’ve approached the game? Yes.

Does that mean the FA Cup is worthless and anyone who doubts the value of replays is disrespectful to the competition and older fans? No.

Life isn’t all black and white.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    I love the FA Cup but I think we can all see that Gareth’s selection today means that we are focussed on getting promotion, which I totally agree with.

And it's still a very strong side

• @Mandown said:
    As already mentioned the Wimbledon replay was fantastic I also remember a superb night, despite losing, at West Brom in a replay

Wonderful night, if completely barmy.

• Right …….

• Well that goal was no surprise!

• FFS a goal down

• @HolmerBlue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I think you meant less (not more) disappointing @ReturnToSenda .

• @micra said:

@HolmerBlue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I think you meant less (not more) disappointing @ReturnToSenda .

I did. Thankfully I can rely on you to correct me!

• Your welcome @ReturnToSenda . I guess most knew what you meant and I struggled to get my head round it. Read it countless times!!

• @micra said:
    Your welcome @ReturnToSenda . I guess most knew what you meant and I struggled to get my head round it. Read it countless times!!

I see what you did there ;)

• @uptheblues said:
    Right …….

Would it still be 0-0 if the drum was there?

• Awful first half. Hopefully get going 2nd half.

• When the club's own Twitter page says it was below par, you know it probably was.

• edited November 2021

Losing and Stelling says Hartlepool have only lost 2 in 20+ games at home.

Who was it who thought we'd cruise this one?!

• I’d definitely take a replay at this point!

• @Malone said:

Apparently we'd beat them with our 2nd eleven

• @HolmerBlue said:

@Malone said:

Apparently we'd beat them with our 2nd eleven

Yeah I didn't quite get the optimism, especially when we all knew that despite Gareth's staunch FA cup speech that we'd rotate fairly strongly.