Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• And Oxford lose fantastic

• Rotherham dragged back into the playoff spots.

• To think that 3 to 4 weeks ago, I said on here that I wished we were like them as they were imperious! Just goes to show.....

• Will be an intruging watch. 7 games over 22 days is a taxing schedule.

• Crawley have just been taken over by the bunch of crypto goons that tried to buy Bradford ?

• This will end well.

• I still know nothing about crypto or NFTs beyond that it must all be a great big scam, right?

• NFTs are absolutely a scam, but actual cryptocurrencies have a lot of potential. Right now though, they're basically like one of those "mobile" phones where you had to carry a briefcase with all the electronics inside compared to your iPhone of today. One day, they're extremely likely to be ubiquitous, useful, fast and not killing the planet. But right now they're none of those things.

• Interesting, although I still don't like the idea of it having any place in football. Just feels like the successor to gambling sponsorship and all that.

• NFTs just seem extremely anti social bullshit, like having an extremely rare expensive artwork that you can't really show anyone because it's online and easily copyable, and you've only got the sellers word there aren't thousands of them anyway.
    Crypto is a whole collection of weird. It suits the conspiracy theorists because it's not centrally controlled by governments but I know a little about government financial services regulation and guarantees and there's absolutely zero chance I'd put a decent chunk of my money anywhere that isn't observed. It's not helped by the fact lots of people really pushing it are only pushing it as a get rich quick scheme if you're in first.
    Supposed fan tokens are probably the worst of the set at the moment. Only offering tiny influence on things like what song to run out to, Not limited to fans of the clubs they represent, plummeting in value with little chance of return and gateway drugging as you need for some reason to pay via specific crypto.

• If you look at the price of bitcoin, it's sky high, so no doubt people who got in early have made sky high gains.

But you also hear the occasional story of how someone had this bitcoin on an old piece of tech, the tech got thrown away by error, and they had literally no recourse to claim their money back aside from finding it.
    That seems scary. I'm like @strongestteam and wouldn't go near it.

That and it seems the currency of choice for all sorts of secret deviant behaviour on the net.

• Should probably add that these crypto bro's have said they don't want ordinary fans to have to use or buy up NFTs and crypto, as usual the fans are the product, they need them to come along , fill the stands and sing so that those at home , supposedly crypto enthusiastic oddbods from around the world have something to gawp at. They seem reasonably well connected but would you watch Crawley town just because you like the way their owners invest or because you can get goals and player messages sent through? Ultimately they may get some novelty appeal but if it even nearly works the bigger clubs will do the same better. Football clubs exist in their communities, if it's just online gimmicks then there's no need for the smaller clubs to exist.

• I think that the crypto currencies are where a lot of Russian wealth shot into when the governments gave the richies a warning of impending sanctions?

• Southampton 6-0 at home to Chelsea after 54 mins. They are due another 9-0...

• edited April 2022

Fleetwood's 'keeper got sent off for this today ?

• Blooming heck, that's pub goon down the Rye standard :D

Hope they're in similarly on the beach form when we face them last day.

• edited April 2022

Sorry, initially typed Burton cause Ed is a Burton fan and they previously had a 'keeper who produced a few WTF moments. Definitely Fleetwood (Alex Cairns).

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Sorry, initially typed Burton cause Ed is a Burton fan and they previously had a 'keeper who produced a few WTF moments. Definitely Fleetwood (Alex Cairns).

Well that spoils it.

• @Malone said:
    Blooming heck, that's pub goon down the Rye standard :D

Hope they're in similarly on the beach form when we face them last day.

Thought you were using a Norfolk accent in that first sentence @Malone !

• Thought ‘goon’ was Norfolk for ‘going’. It’s early.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Fleetwood's 'keeper got sent off for this today ?

Bloody hate players waving an imaginary card, trying to influence the ref into a sending off. It was a red, no doubt, but trying to get a fellow pro sent off is just poo!

• If they're trying to con the ref then yeah, but in that instance I think it's a pretty instinctive reaction?

• Was it instinctive in the 70s, 80 & 90s before the Premiere League?

• Ah, is it blame the Premier League for everything time again? What do your expect an opposition player to do in that situation? Just stand quietly waiting for the ref to get their red card out?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Ah, is it blame the Premier League for everything time again? What do your expect an opposition player to do in that situation? Just stand quietly waiting for the ref to get their red card out?

Er, yes. The Captain can ask the ref his intention by all accounts but the players shouldn’t be surrounding and encouraging the ref to give cards. It’s a blight on the game.

• Fabrizio Ravenelli when he came over to play for Boro was the worst, I blame him, he started it.

• @Commoner said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Ah, is it blame the Premier League for everything time again? What do your expect an opposition player to do in that situation? Just stand quietly waiting for the ref to get their red card out?

Er, yes. The Captain can ask the ref his intention by all accounts but the players shouldn’t be surrounding and encouraging the ref to give cards. It’s a blight on the game.

But the Accrington players aren't doing that? If they were aggressively crowding the ref à la Bournemouth v us last season, I'd agree, but there's nothing wrong with gesturing 'red?'.

• edited April 2022

But please let's not pretend like football crossed to the dark side in 1992 and players were all mild-mannered saints up until then.

• When then did the players cross to the dark side then @ReturnToSenda? I've been watching & playing the game for approximately 55 years. I certainly don't have a recollection of the professionals waving their hands about like "squirrels on crack" in the decades I mentioned earlier.
    By the way I never said that the players were all mild mannered saints either. My peak attendance viewing was in the days of Chopper Harris, Norman bites yer legs Hunter, Billy Bremner, Tommy Smith to name but a few. I don't recall any of them waving their imaginary cards, even when revenge tackles were flying in.