Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@Commoner said:
    I find the biggest issue is that a significant amount of players/managers will complain about every single decision and because of that it creeps down to every level of football.

I was linesman at an U14 Division 6 fixture recently, where the opposition manager should not have been anywhere near a junior match. Apparently he was an ex-pro/semi pro.

Berated the 17 year old referee for 70 minutes. Even when the ref stopped the game so the goalkeeper could do his laces up. The goalkeeper had the ball at the time in open play. He went apoplectic because the ball was meant to be out of play. Screamed for about a minute and a half at one point at the ref because he didn't give a free kick. The ref was correct.

His players were foul mouthed and completely disrespectful, which all came from his behaviour and no doubt some from watching it on TV.

I got called an feffin d?ckhead by their right winger because I had given him offside - 13 or 14 years old. The managers response - "if that's the only way they can win then let them cheat"
    They were 6-2 up at the time.

Of course, he's been reported by our club and the referee but nothing will happen.

Anyway rant over!

I remember playing in some pub league and the ref right at the start just came over to both teams and said "you swear, you're in the book".

It didn't even have to be at him.

What an absolute jobsworth. So if someone stamps on your foot and you shout 'FUCK!' in agony, that's a booking? ?

I'd like to think so.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    We used to have a ref in our Sunday league that always laid down the law before a game. Used to start by saying "I knew my father" so don't bother! In the book every time someone tried, even with an "oh ref". Games were a lot better for it and we knew how to use him to our advantage by keeping quiet and let the other team scream their way into the book. ??

I was generally well behaved on the pitch, and on memory only lost it with refs twice.

Once when someone took me out late, I slammed my head on the floor, and the ref had totally missed it....giving him a fairly sharp "interpretation" of how I saw his skills.

But another time, when we had this soft bottler of a ref, who'd ignored one guy on the opposition double hand punch one of ours. I was on at him after that telling him about his bottling, before an after game yellow card.

I also played for Sunday team... walked in the changing room once to find he was the dad of one of our team! Who had hilariously told his son about this "nutter" he'd refereered the other week. The son found it hilarious that the meek and mild me was who his dad meant!

• Th> @LX1 said:

@floyd said:
    Bayo had the right approach, arriving on the scene just as the Gillingham players were getting into Wing.

He's learnt a lot from his first ever Wycombe game in France, where he got sent off for lamping the opposition player.

That was in defence of his erstwhile strike partner, Scotty Kashket, wasn’t it? Sadly, for whatever reason, it looks now as if Scotty is unlikely to realise the kind of potential that made me think at the time that he was going to make the club at least a million!

• Only ever been sent off twice - both in schools matches.

I played in goal. Picked the ball up in the penalty area and had a free kick awarded against me for handball. “You can only handle the ball in the little box” said the ref/teacher. Was sent off for swearing at him

• Can't see another thread more valid, but Rotherham getting absolutely pasted tonight, leaves MK in the driving seat for auto promotion.

With MK having games against Sheff Wed, Oxford and Sunderland, having them with all to play for can only help us.

• Rotherham still have a significantly better fuel difference than MK Dons so it's still in their hands

• Portsmouth currently leading 3-0 at home to Rotherham.

This is excellent for us as it will leave Rotherham potentially needing to get something from the games against Oxford and Sunderland.

• Rotherham haven't played well for months, really weird and dramatic drop-off

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Rotherham haven't played well for months, really weird and dramatic drop-off

Found out and No plan B?

• If we finish 6th i want Rotherham to finish third. But we’re as likely to finish 5th as 6th.

• edited April 2022

@floyd said:
    If we finish 6th i want Rotherham to finish third. But we’re as likely to finish 5th as 6th.

Two more 0-0s then we win on pens with the decisive kick a Bayo Panenka (actually, I want that to be in the final v Sunderland)

• All I want at this stage is to make the play offs at the expense of Sunderland.?

• Villarreal through to the CL semis after having two shots on target over two legs v Bayern #efficient

• @eric_plant said:
    Rotherham still have a significantly better fuel difference than MK Dons so it's still in their hands

I thought prices at the pump were just as bad in Yorkshire

• Rotherham benefit from all the northern clubs in this league.

• @LX1 said:

@eric_plant said:
    Rotherham still have a significantly better fuel difference than MK Dons so it's still in their hands

I thought prices at the pump were just as bad in Yorkshire

Oh dear! "Goal" difference

• Interesting insight from the Grimsby owner in a Guardian article. Sort of stating the obvious for me...but interesting nontheless

'At Grimsby we had the best start to the season since 1982 and then, from late October, we went 11 games with only one win. “Attribution bias” is falsely crediting capabilities retrospectively to actions. It assumes that when you are winning you are skilful and capable but as soon as you start losing you suddenly become a failure and you are talentless. The attribution of talent and then its inverse in such a short space of time clearly makes no sense, particularly for people who have years of experience in the game. When we looked at the differences in performances between 10-game blocks of the season there was not a lot of difference in work rate and goal chances. We lost most games by a single goal and failed to score.

Whether we choose to admit it or not, luck and chance play a more significant role in our lives and we often underestimate their impact. Yet, in the space of 90 minutes of play it should be clear to anyone who has ever watched a game that there are multiple possible worlds that play out differently if a player is not injured, if a decision goes a different way or if a goal goes in rather than a ball hit the post. It is a constant reminder of the fragility of reality that small changes in variables can affect massive differences in outcome.'

• Stating the obvious yes, but pretty much what a lot of fans live by.

Seen even on the gasroom, home to some of the more considered fans only recently.
    Talk of something "not being right", and wider talk of needing a rethink, and even had some questions of whether Gaz had taken us as far as he could!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Interesting insight from the Grimsby owner in a Guardian article. Sort of stating the obvious for me...but interesting nontheless

'At Grimsby we had the best start to the season since 1982 and then, from late October, we went 11 games with only one win. “Attribution bias” is falsely crediting capabilities retrospectively to actions. It assumes that when you are winning you are skilful and capable but as soon as you start losing you suddenly become a failure and you are talentless. The attribution of talent and then its inverse in such a short space of time clearly makes no sense, particularly for people who have years of experience in the game. When we looked at the differences in performances between 10-game blocks of the season there was not a lot of difference in work rate and goal chances. We lost most games by a single goal and failed to score.

Whether we choose to admit it or not, luck and chance play a more significant role in our lives and we often underestimate their impact. Yet, in the space of 90 minutes of play it should be clear to anyone who has ever watched a game that there are multiple possible worlds that play out differently if a player is not injured, if a decision goes a different way or if a goal goes in rather than a ball hit the post. It is a constant reminder of the fragility of reality that small changes in variables can affect massive differences in outcome.'

I met Grimsby's owner at an event last month. Very impressive man. He's got a fellowship at the Blavatnik School of Government in Oxford, and seems to really care about his club and local community. He actually mentioned that analysis of their 10 game winless run in the talk he gave

• That’s the most sensible thing I’ve ever seen written about football.

• Blows the totally stats based view out of the water. He's totally right.

• @Right_in_the_Middle I couldn’t agree less - he’s explicitly using stats in his argument,

• I must admit I sometimes think I am watching a different game to some of our fans.

• Really good, and is always seen whenever England go out of a major tournament. Big games so often hinge on such tiny details but depending on which way they go makes such a massive difference to the post match "analysis"

Last summer, Marcus Rashford sent the keeper the wrong way and rolled his penalty into the post instead of about 2 inches to the right. We lost the shoot-out and the analysis is all about Mancini tactically out-thinking Southgate from halftime onwards, and how making those substitutions at the end was crazy etc etc

The penalty goes in and the post-match analysis is about a new golden age for English football and how wonderful it is to see such an admirable group of young men has united the country.

• @Chris said:
    @Right_in_the_Middle I couldn’t agree less - he’s explicitly using stats in his argument,

The three examples in the quote aren't stats based. Injuries, ref's decisions and how the ball reacts to hitting the post are just events with where the participants have little influence and the outcomes are not based on logical statistics.

• And no doubt at the end of the season, despite fighting at the the top for the most of it, if we don't make the play-offs we will be an appalling team that no player will fancy staying with! :smile:

• @Wendoverman said:
    And no doubt at the end of the season, despite fighting at the the top for the most of it, if we don't make the play-offs we will be an appalling team that no player will fancy staying with! :smile:

What makes you say that?

• @peterparrotface said:

@Wendoverman said:
    And no doubt at the end of the season, despite fighting at the the top for the most of it, if we don't make the play-offs we will be an appalling team that no player will fancy staying with! :smile:

What makes you say that?

That in the event of us not reaching the Wembley pinnacle this time around, some of our more critical fans might possibly consider the season to be rather more disastrous than anything actually was? Not sure.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Chris said:
    @Right_in_the_Middle I couldn’t agree less - he’s explicitly using stats in his argument,

The three examples in the quote aren't stats based. Injuries, ref's decisions and how the ball reacts to hitting the post are just events with where the participants have little influence and the outcomes are not based on logical statistics.

When we looked at the differences in performances between 10-game blocks of the season there was not a lot of difference in work rate and goal chances. We lost most games by a single goal and failed to score.

So what he is doing here is analysing the performances based on statistics beyond simply goals. This is because those statistics more accurately reflect the performance of his team than the score line, which is influenced to a great extent by luck.

• Aren't Athletico Madrid a nasty bunch of pricks.