Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• Atlético Madrid are Wycombe on steroids and I love them

• @Wendoverman said:
    Interesting insight from the Grimsby owner in a Guardian article. Sort of stating the obvious for me...but interesting nontheless

'At Grimsby we had the best start to the season since 1982 and then, from late October, we went 11 games with only one win. “Attribution bias” is falsely crediting capabilities retrospectively to actions. It assumes that when you are winning you are skilful and capable but as soon as you start losing you suddenly become a failure and you are talentless. The attribution of talent and then its inverse in such a short space of time clearly makes no sense, particularly for people who have years of experience in the game. When we looked at the differences in performances between 10-game blocks of the season there was not a lot of difference in work rate and goal chances. We lost most games by a single goal and failed to score.

Whether we choose to admit it or not, luck and chance play a more significant role in our lives and we often underestimate their impact. Yet, in the space of 90 minutes of play it should be clear to anyone who has ever watched a game that there are multiple possible worlds that play out differently if a player is not injured, if a decision goes a different way or if a goal goes in rather than a ball hit the post. It is a constant reminder of the fragility of reality that small changes in variables can affect massive differences in outcome.'

Cleethorpes man attempts to grasp probability theory

• City are doing a great wind up job on them and their own shithousing having sized up the task. Athletico are just big babies who don't think the rules apply to them. Like Tory MPs with even less intelligence. Not sure how much of their own time they have wasted scrapping.

• Like a child who has just watched his first game of football. Hilarious

• 4 bookings for City in stoppage time? Lol

• Wonderful prose tbf

• We've all read a paper back in an airport Mr Grimsby. Clough, , O'Neill, Ainsworth, Bloom have got this down son

• edited April 2022

Suddenly I feel far top optimistic about our play-off chances (you might wanna open in new tab)

• We owe it to the rest of the chasing pack to take Plymouth down tomorrow, to unlock a 3rd play off place.

• Yep. If we beat Plymouth tomorrow I fancy them to miss out with their remaining fixtures

• Impressive security at Camp Nou, where 30,000 Eintracht Frankfurt fans managed to get in last night - their allocation was 5,000

• @LX1 said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Interesting insight from the Grimsby owner in a Guardian article. Sort of stating the obvious for me...but interesting nontheless

'At Grimsby we had the best start to the season since 1982 and then, from late October, we went 11 games with only one win. “Attribution bias” is falsely crediting capabilities retrospectively to actions. It assumes that when you are winning you are skilful and capable but as soon as you start losing you suddenly become a failure and you are talentless. The attribution of talent and then its inverse in such a short space of time clearly makes no sense, particularly for people who have years of experience in the game. When we looked at the differences in performances between 10-game blocks of the season there was not a lot of difference in work rate and goal chances. We lost most games by a single goal and failed to score.

Whether we choose to admit it or not, luck and chance play a more significant role in our lives and we often underestimate their impact. Yet, in the space of 90 minutes of play it should be clear to anyone who has ever watched a game that there are multiple possible worlds that play out differently if a player is not injured, if a decision goes a different way or if a goal goes in rather than a ball hit the post. It is a constant reminder of the fragility of reality that small changes in variables can affect massive differences in outcome.'

Cleethorpes man attempts to grasp probability theory

Today’s game could go either way.

• I guess we’ll know within the first 20 minutes.

• Burnley due in L1 year after next

• Such weird timing - not just in terms of where we are in the season, but why didn't they do it at the beginning of the week and at least give someone new the chance to start implementing things?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Impressive security at Camp Nou, where 30,000 Eintracht Frankfurt fans managed to get in last night - their allocation was 5,000

So apparently they were getting their tickets off Barça fans who couldn't be arsed to go ?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Impressive security at Camp Nou, where 30,000 Eintracht Frankfurt fans managed to get in last night - their allocation was 5,000

So apparently they were getting their tickets off Barça fans who couldn't be arsed to go ?

I was wondering how we suddenly managed to sell so many tickets at Adams Park for the game today. Shouts of 'Greeen armayyyy' might give the pilgrims in the family stand away.

• edited April 2022

Was there a sudden surge? Surely always bound to be high given it's a bank hol and the Blooms tribute match!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Same thing happened at Arsenal a few years back, funny that the mighty Barca should have a problem with actually having an away presence rather than 300 shoved in the back corner amongst 100,000 locals. They probably need the money anyway.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Such weird timing - not just in terms of where we are in the season, but why didn't they do it at the beginning of the week and at least give someone new the chance to start implementing things?

The who, what, where, @ReturnToSenda??

• @Twizz said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Such weird timing - not just in terms of where we are in the season, but why didn't they do it at the beginning of the week and at least give someone new the chance to start implementing things?

Dyche sacked by Burnley!

• Thanks, hadn't seen that

• Got to admire what The God bothering weasel is doing at Luton??

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Suddenly I feel far top optimistic about our play-off chances (you might wanna open in new tab)

Does look easy from that. Come on Wycombe!

• A kindly friend has reminded me that Wimbledon have gone 22 games without a win. Trouble is, he didn’t say how many they’ve drawn! But let’s hope they beat Crewe this afternoon and perhaps sustain the odd knock! I suppose a couple of red cards is out of the question?!

• Anyone else watching Luton shithouse their way through the game with Forest? They complain about us!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Twizz said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Dyche sacked by Burnley!

Did not see that coming...has the Ainsworth returning to his beloved Lancashire thread started yet?

• Oxford and Sunderland already winning.

• Oxford and Sunderland now both 2-0 up.