Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• Rangers v Celtic was an interesting watch, as ever. Utterly committed and lightning fast, end-to-end stuff, always a great game for the neutral. One of the young Celtic midfielders had to come off after 60 minutes as he was utterly shagged. A couple of senior pros cramping up near the end, such was the intensity. Carter-Vickers has found a decent level since hauling down Wood (and receiving a strength lesson from Bayo) at White Hart Lane.

Broken glass in Joe Hart’s goalmouth is, however, beyond disgraceful, as @drcongo points out.

• Thanks for elaborating @drcongo’s mysterious comment, @LeedsBlue. That really is despicable behaviour.

It certainly was a cracking game. The Celtic defence was unbelievably defiant in the last 20 minutes and Joe Hart made at least one superb save. I didn’t realise he’d gone there as I don’t really follow Scottish football (although I did check on Dundee/Dundee United (?) for several months to see if wee Alex was involved). I followed Joe’s career for quite a long time after seeing him as an 18 year old against us in Shrewsbury all those years ago.

• edited April 2022

I can see Watford being the new Derby in the Championship next season. Just been announced that last year they lost £21.7m and the year before £35.6m. They also have outstanding loans of £138m. Their wage bill in the Championship last season was £68.1m.

• How much of that is paying off a succession of managerial contracts?

• Interesting watching Match Time Revisited on ITV12 (or something) despite some terrible early 1980s conditions game played at quite a pace, player nearest the ball takes throw or corner quickly, no gloves, challenges just put up with little or no histrionics, no arguing with ref or assistants and if there was abuse the TV mikes did not pick it up. Not exactly as I remember the few games I saw in that era but I suppose it depended which teams were playing.

• @Steve_Peart said:

The final against Littlehampton Town is on 22 May, the same day that Bromley, hopefully with Connor Parsons and Ali Al-Hamedi in the team, take on Wrexham in the FA Trophy Final.

Connor misses out after playing for Notts County in earlier rounds.

https://www.wwfc.com/news/2022/april/04/alis-off-to-wembley/

• @Wendoverman said:
    Interesting watching Match Time Revisited on ITV12 (or something) despite some terrible early 1980s conditions game played at quite a pace, player nearest the ball takes throw or corner quickly, no gloves, challenges just put up with little or no histrionics, no arguing with ref or assistants and if there was abuse the TV mikes did not pick it up. Not exactly as I remember the few games I saw in that era but I suppose it depended which teams were playing.

I love watching these. As well as the action on the pitch, the studio analysis, although lacking technically, is often very entertaining. Also they pick the best games from across the divisions, sometimes even starting with a 4-4 classic from the second division.

• The goal celebrations get me. A quick shake of the hand, ruffling the hair of the goalscorer maybe, and everyone purposefully jogging back into position, for an immediate kick-off.

Oh, and back passes to the keeper!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Interesting watching Match Time Revisited on ITV12 (or something) despite some terrible early 1980s conditions game played at quite a pace, player nearest the ball takes throw or corner quickly, no gloves, challenges just put up with little or no histrionics, no arguing with ref or assistants and if there was abuse the TV mikes did not pick it up. Not exactly as I remember the few games I saw in that era but I suppose it depended which teams were playing.

I love watching those old games. I always find it amazing to see the pace and intensity the games were played at. The players must have been exhausted at the end of a 42 game season, with a squad of about 14 players

• @LeedsBlue said:
    The goal celebrations get me. A quick shake of the hand, ruffling the hair of the goalscorer maybe, and everyone purposefully jogging back into position, for an immediate kick-off.

Who was the first 'flamboyant' celebrator in English football?

• @mooneyman said:
    I can see Watford being the new Derby in the Championship next season. Just been announced that last year they lost £21.7m and the year before £35.6m. They also have outstanding loans of £138m. Their wage bill in the Championship last season was £68.1m.

Have a look at Everton's, have lost around £110m per year for each of the last 3, major backer on the Russian sanctions list and just broke ground on a new stadium, could be very messy.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@LeedsBlue said:
    The goal celebrations get me. A quick shake of the hand, ruffling the hair of the goalscorer maybe, and everyone purposefully jogging back into position, for an immediate kick-off.

Who was the first 'flamboyant' celebrator in English football?

Mick Channons windmill was early 70's.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@mooneyman said:

Have a look at Everton's, have lost around £110m per year for each of the last 3, major backer on the Russian sanctions list and just broke ground on a new stadium, could be very messy.

And they gave Lampard a contract until June 2024 ?

• Despite their appalling form I can't see Everton going down, so they will still have the obscene Sky monies coming in. Norwich, Watford and Burnley must be the weakest ever Premier teams.

• Somebody at Everton is definitely sabotaging the club from the inside. Not that long ago they had a decent manager who brought in James Rodrigues and looked set for stability. Now they've got a Derby reject celebrity manager who hasn't a clue. That has to be a deliberate attempt to ruin them.

• If Burnley give Weghorst some service, Everton will go down - they're absolutely appalling. They have the worst run-in too. And Watford played really well on Saturday.

• @ReturnToSenda Not English football, but I remember the impossibly aged Cameroon striker, Roger Milla, samba-ing around the corner flag at Italia '90. Did we take our cue from that? Back in the day most top strikers had their own 'style', but in my faded memory they were all variations of an arm raised (Geoff Hurst, Francis Lee), or rotating propeller (Mick Channon), mostly modest affairs. There is nothing in my memory bank suggesting anything wilder than a run, jump and air-punch (Muller and Pele style). Charlie George laid down on the ground in 1971. Even by the time of Shearer, it was still just an arm raise. Lineker favoured the double-fist (oo-err) although he too did a Charlie George at Wembley, I recall. 1996 there was the pre-planned 'dentist chair' when Gazza scored. Cantona used to stand and admire the beauty of what he had just created, and often barely celebrated at all.

Scratching the surface there, but not dredging up any flamboyance... I'm going Klinsmann for the 'OTT dive' celebration.

• Stuart 'Pancho' Pearson's, double fist pump was a favourite of mine.

• The first one that springs to mind from my childhood is either Emile Heskey's DJ (used to do that one in the playground) or Robbie Keane's Spider-man (that one was riskier)

• I was going to say Mick Channon

Charlie George did a fairly iconic goal celebration in the 1971 FA Cup Final

And Ronnie Radford getting mobbed by hundreds of kids in parkas was awesome

• Andy Kerr celebrated with an elaborate bow after scoring the winner in front of a packed Gasworks End against Kidderminster back in the late 80's.

Non playing players used to go round the crowd selling posters of it at subsequent matches. It was quite an iconic moment at the time.

• If you look at the youtube footage of the 1957 Amateur cup semi v Corinthian Casuals, i thinks its after Wanderers 3rd and 4th goals, One of our players does this weird twisting jump that results in him collapsing on the floor.
    Its quite hilarious.

• @drcongo said:
    Somebody at Everton is definitely sabotaging the club from the inside. Not that long ago they had a decent manager who brought in James Rodrigues and looked set for stability. Now they've got a Derby reject celebrity manager who hasn't a clue. That has to be a deliberate attempt to ruin them.

Not sure he's a Derby reject, as he stepped up to Chelsea from them.
    But the rest of the sentiments seem fair.

he's made a woeful decision going there, although the press will probably lavish him with praise for keeping them up, despite the fact he could barely have done worse since going there.

• I would not write Burnley off with Dyce in charge and games in hand myself.

• edited April 2022

@Wendoverman said:
    I would not write Burnley off with Dyce in charge and games in hand myself.

They can't score any goals, and don't actually have any games in hand over Everton though.

They're 5 points behind Everton and play them tomorrow. That is a huge game. Win it, and they're in business, lose it, and it's very likely close to game over.

• If they get on Weghorst's wavelength, they've got the best striker in the relegation scrap (I'd say DCL in his normal state, but he's done naff all since coming back from injury). Hopefully starting tomorrow - imagine how much we could rattle a club the size of Everton ?

• edited April 2022

@mooneyman said:
    Despite their appalling form I can't see Everton going down, so they will still have the obscene Sky monies coming in. Norwich, Watford and Burnley must be the weakest ever Premier teams.

They lost all that money after pocketing the Sky money, could see a similar issue to Derby with others with other clubs rumoured to be watching their FFP outcomes.

• Diving Danny scoring for Luton v Peterboro.
    That's a mixed feelings goal if ever there was one!

• Got the City game on the other screen. Phil Foden is going to win us the World Cup.