Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• MK the best we've faced other than Wigan

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Personally I think we need snookers. February was brutal for us and although March was better we really needed that win against Portsmouth. This season was always going to be hard after last year. Next year I am more optimistic as we can evolve a little and be really competitive.

Yeah, I've thought for a few weeks that we won't go up - even if we do make the play-offs. Would be amazing to start next season as title contenders, which I think we absolutely could be.

• I said at the start 10th and I still reckon that’s about right. I’m not down about that. I’m not worried about that. Transition year.
    Keep Vokes. Another striker. Bit more depth. Keep a couple of key players. We’re good to go.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Personally I think we need snookers. February was brutal for us and although March was better we really needed that win against Portsmouth. This season was always going to be hard after last year. Next year I am more optimistic as we can evolve a little and be really competitive.

Yeah, I've thought for a few weeks that we won't go up - even if we do make the play-offs. Would be amazing to start next season as title contenders, which I think we absolutely could be.

What makes you think that? Bearing in mind the championship season cash injection will be one year further on, and the division won't be any weaker than it is this year?

No guarantee Vokes stays, no guarantee McCleary will be as good as he was the first half of the season etc.

Obviously we'd back Gaz to bring some quality in, but I can't see what gives any confidence in title battlers, if we weren't this year?

(ps I still hope we'll sneak the playoffs, to balance this slightly negative post out!).

• edited March 2022

It will be slightly weaker next season - Derby will effectively have to start right over even if they don't have a points deduction, and Peterborough will probably be similar to us this season - and we're currently playing arguably the best football we've ever played under Gaz. We've proved we can compete at the right and of this division and that'll help us attract even better players (Vokes will stay btw). As @TheAndyGrahamFanClub says, this has been a transitional season.

• I'm still hoping we sneak in to the playoffs...still in it until we're not.

• I believe the parachute payment for relegated Champ. clubs only lasts one year.
    May have a lower playing budget next season if in Lg1.

• @DevC said:
    I believe the parachute payment for relegated Champ. clubs only lasts one year.
    May have a lower playing budget next season if in Lg1.

That adds into what I'm thinking too.
    I think any gain on us being borderline bottom end play off contenders is totally dependant on any signings, which clearly we can't judge on just yet!

And any talk of a weaker division ignores the likes of Ipswich and Portsmouth making a bigger step up than we do - as rich big clubs usually get it right eventually.

• edited March 2022

My slight concern is Rob running out of patience and rolling the dice in terms of £££. I've got no issue with him talking about a quick (immediate?) return to the Championship as if it's a must - I quite like that he does, actually - but there might come a point (maybe not this summer but soon) when it's at odds with his commitment to sustainability.

• At 72 he's certainly not in it for the long term, but hopefully he gets the right balance of ambition v sensible.

• @Malone said:
    At 72 he's certainly not in it for the long term, but hopefully he gets the right balance of ambition v sensible.

Idk, his namesake stayed in power in Zimbabwe until he was 93

• By the time he's 93 we'll be run by Eton Musk in a 50,000 stadium purpose built centre, where Downley used to sit.

• edited March 2022

@Malone said:
    By the time he's 93 we'll be run by Eton Musk in a 50,000 stadium purpose built centre, where Downley used to sit.

New stadium on the roof of the new Tesla UK battery gigafactory…solar powered floodlights?

• @Forest_Blue said:

@Malone said:
    By the time he's 93 we'll be run by Eton Musk in a 50,000 stadium purpose built centre, where Downley used to sit.

New stadium on the roof of the new Tesla UK battery gigafactory…solar powered floodlights?

Solar powered potentially, but you won't even need floodlights. The lights will be embedded in the stands.

• @Malone said:

Eton musk? Like the smell in the House of Commons?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Eton musk? Like the smell in the House of Commons?

Brilliant! Humor POTD!

• I am not so sanguine on our chances if we don't go up this year and potentially still have the likes of Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich and Portsmouth to deal with while losing Championship parachute payment. I am also less than confident of keeping Vokes.

That all being said, I think the key to remaining competitive is our development squad turning into a reliable pipeline. Mehmeti, Forino and Pendlebury is a good start, and if the likes of Parsons, Linton and so forth continue to develop, maybe there is another name or two to get excited about next season.

I don't think all of the old heads will leave, but even if we lost every outfield player over 30 (as of the start of next season), we could play an under-30 starting lineup of:

Grimmer
    Stewart
    Forino
    Obita
    Scowen
    Thompson
    Pendlebury
    Freeman
    Mehmeti
    Hanlan

Subs/rotation would include McCarthy and Gape. This is a weaker team than this season, but not relegation fodder either, especially if the youngsters continue to develop. Obviously we will keep some over 30s, so the situation will be better than this younger foundation, let alone whatever new faces might come in the door.

• If we did get back up it'd be interesting to see if the 3 at the back system was wheeled out again.

Uche was a key part of that though, under the cosh and he could get it, sprint off and smash one in.

• Strangely discussions about what will happen if we don't get promotion to the Championship seem to very similar to the discussions about would happen if we got relegated from the Championship.?

• I know Coleman is always good value for a rant over nothing, but yesterday’s injury time penalty shout v Gillingham (given the position of the ref) has got to be something worth getting a fine for! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more blatant pen not given!

• @Shev said:
    I am not so sanguine on our chances if we don't go up this year and potentially still have the likes of Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich and Portsmouth to deal with while losing Championship parachute payment. I am also less than confident of keeping Vokes.

That all being said, I think the key to remaining competitive is our development squad turning into a reliable pipeline. Mehmeti, Forino and Pendlebury is a good start, and if the likes of Parsons, Linton and so forth continue to develop, maybe there is another name or two to get excited about next season.

I don't think all of the old heads will leave, but even if we lost every outfield player over 30 (as of the start of next season), we could play an under-30 starting lineup of:

Grimmer
    Stewart
    Forino
    Obita
    Scowen
    Thompson
    Pendlebury
    Freeman
    Mehmeti
    Hanlan

Subs/rotation would include McCarthy and Gape. This is a weaker team than this season, but not relegation fodder either, especially if the youngsters continue to develop. Obviously we will keep some over 30s, so the situation will be better than this younger foundation, let alone whatever new faces might come in the door.

Penders of Marlow, only making the subs bench for struggling Woking yesterday.

• I notice (if the BBC stats are accurate) every L1 game yesterday ended with between 5 and 9 minutes extra time...and none of it our fault!

• @Wendoverman said:
    I notice (if the BBC stats are accurate) every L1 game yesterday ended with between 5 and 9 minutes extra time...and none of it our fault!

You sure @Wendoverman, have you checked other forums? Sure some will be pointing a finger!

• It's ALWAYS Wycombe's fault

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    It's ALWAYS Wycombe's fault

Get on to Missy, that's a t-shirt waiting to be made. Huge market potential in Sunderland, Derby, Peterborough and beyond.

• @ChasHarps said:

@Shev said:
    I am not so sanguine on our chances if we don't go up this year and potentially still have the likes of Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich and Portsmouth to deal with while losing Championship parachute payment. I am also less than confident of keeping Vokes.

Grimmer
    Stewart
    Forino
    Obita
    Scowen
    Thompson
    Pendlebury
    Freeman
    Mehmeti
    Hanlan

Have any of our loanees 'ripped up trees'?

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    It's ALWAYS Wycombe's fault

Get on to Missy, that's a t-shirt waiting to be made. Huge market potential in Sunderland, Derby, Peterborough and beyond.

WYCOMBE THE KINGS OF SHITHOUSERY would be a great T shirt!

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@ChasHarps said:

@Shev said:

Grimmer
    Stewart
    Forino
    Obita
    Scowen
    Thompson
    Pendlebury
    Freeman
    Mehmeti
    Hanlan

Have any of our loanees 'ripped up trees'?

Linton has at King's Lynn

• Max Ram doing well at Hungerford. I thought Max definitely had something about him early on this season but appeared to cramp up towards the end of the few chances he had.

Has been ever present for Hungerford

• I know it is old media...but I always find it depressing on International weekends you can get five pages of the paper on a drab and meaningless friendly and all the other footy is ignored...even on National Non-league day!