Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• @Malone said:
    By the time he's 93 we'll be run by Eton Musk in a 50,000 stadium purpose built centre, where Downley used to sit.

Can’t see that happening to be honest @Malone. Way too much chalk under lots of Downley, asking for problems.

• @Shev said:
    I am not so sanguine on our chances if we don't go up this year and potentially still have the likes of Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich and Portsmouth to deal with while losing Championship parachute payment. I am also less than confident of keeping Vokes.

That all being said, I think the key to remaining competitive is our development squad turning into a reliable pipeline. Mehmeti, Forino and Pendlebury is a good start, and if the likes of Parsons, Linton and so forth continue to develop, maybe there is another name or two to get excited about next season.

I don't think all of the old heads will leave, but even if we lost every outfield player over 30 (as of the start of next season), we could play an under-30 starting lineup of:

Grimmer
    Stewart
    Forino
    Obita
    Scowen
    Thompson
    Pendlebury
    Freeman
    Mehmeti
    Hanlan

Subs/rotation would include McCarthy and Gape. This is a weaker team than this season, but not relegation fodder either, especially if the youngsters continue to develop. Obviously we will keep some over 30s, so the situation will be better than this younger foundation, let alone whatever new faces might come in the door.

Anthony Stewart will be 30 a few games into next season. Jack Young would provide good cover for Scowen and Thompson. Not sure about Pendlebury. Nick Freeman could play right wingback.

• Nick Freeman could play anywhere!

• An excellent read on the art of time-wasting from a goalkeeper's perspective

• @micra said:

@Shev said:
    I am not so sanguine on our chances if we don't go up this year and potentially still have the likes of Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich and Portsmouth to deal with while losing Championship parachute payment. I am also less than confident of keeping Vokes.

That all being said, I think the key to remaining competitive is our development squad turning into a reliable pipeline. Mehmeti, Forino and Pendlebury is a good start, and if the likes of Parsons, Linton and so forth continue to develop, maybe there is another name or two to get excited about next season.

I don't think all of the old heads will leave, but even if we lost every outfield player over 30 (as of the start of next season), we could play an under-30 starting lineup of:

Grimmer
    Stewart
    Forino
    Obita
    Scowen
    Thompson
    Pendlebury
    Freeman
    Mehmeti
    Hanlan

Subs/rotation would include McCarthy and Gape. This is a weaker team than this season, but not relegation fodder either, especially if the youngsters continue to develop. Obviously we will keep some over 30s, so the situation will be better than this younger foundation, let alone whatever new faces might come in the door.

Anthony Stewart will be 30 a few games into next season. Jack Young would provide good cover for Scowen and Thompson. Not sure about Pendlebury. Nick Freeman could play right wingback.

Moral of story. Don’t post at 12.30am! I meant to say “Jack Young and Lewis Wing would provide good cover for Scowen and Thompson.” And Lewis Wing has complementary qualities to the more defensively inclined midfielders. Don’t know yet if Jack Young has creative talent but I wouldn’t be surprised. Certainly has great energy.

• @mooneyman said:
    Nick Freeman could play anywhere!

You could play anywhere.
    But probably not to league 1 standard.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    An excellent read on the art of time-wasting from a goalkeeper's perspective

Excellent first few rows.
    Too tight to pay to read sports stuff.

• Is there a VPN that allows you to avoid subscribing to online magazines?

• Whoever comes up with a VPN to get around subscriptions is going to be very rich.

And then imprisoned.

• Imagine if Jermaine Jenas won us the World Cup!

• Posh 0 Middlesbrough 3 as Posh continue to stink out The Championship.

• Looks like the cheating sheep have won, although hopefully it won't count for anything

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Looks like the cheating sheep have won, although hopefully it won't count for anything

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Looks like the cheating sheep have won, although hopefully it won't count for anything

Beg pardon beg pardon

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Beg pardon beg pardon

• Gasroom on the blink?

• Shoutout Brentford for turning Chelsea over today - what a journey!

• There’s not much football on north Bucks, so congratulations to Newport Pagnell Town on making it to the FA Vase final.

• Serious question @ReturnToSenda. Who are the cheating sheep? Hope I’m not missing the bleeding obvious.

• @micra said:
    Serious question @ReturnToSenda. Who are the cheating sheep? Hope I’m not missing the bleeding obvious.

Or the bleating obvious...

(Derby)

• @floyd said:
    There’s not much football on north Bucks, so congratulations to Newport Pagnell Town on making it to the FA Vase final.

1-1 at full time against Hamworthy United, won 6-5 on penalties at home in front of a sell-out 1700. The Swans keeper saved three penalties and scored one himself.

The winning penalty.

Celebrations on the pitch.

A BBC preview of the game.

FA Vase: Newport Pagnell Town set sights on trip to Wembley - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60934453

The final against Littlehampton Town is on 22 May, the same day that Bromley, hopefully with Connor Parsons and Ali Al-Hamedi in the team, take on Wrexham in the FA Trophy Final.

• edited April 2022

Cheltenham hats off - again! 4-4 from 4-2 down at 90 mins vs Accy...

Wrexham with Paul Mullin & Ollie Palmer. Phil Parkinson manager. That’s some National League these days...!

• I make it 10 sides currently in the National league that have been in the EFL since we joined it. That's how difficult it is to get out of it once you've dropped in it. Madness.

• Are they bringing in any kind of FFP in the National League? It'll soon become stronger than League Two if not.

• I see Rangers fans are still the absolute worst.

• It’s an awful competition, but I feel for the Sutton fans losing it the way they did.

• Every chance they'll be back for the play-off final

• Or finish 11th

League 2 is absolutely mental