Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• @micra said:
    Enough to make you wish you’d never moved south.

I came to that London 'for a couple of years' in 1987

• No no…we love Wycombe!

• Dare I say Forest have a slightly better chance of making playoffs than Wycombe…probably.

• @Forest_Blue not looked at the Championship run in but in league 1 there are lots of games between teams currently above us - so some/all teams will be dropping points whereas most of our games are against teams in bottom half of the table. Still lots to play for for us

• That’s a good point.

In the Championship Forest are in a similar position to Wycombe in League One but Forest have the games in hand and superior goals difference, hence my view of relative probabilities.

• Over 6000 at ColU for their Ukrainian benefit game tonight. Well done to all involved.

• @floyd said:
    Over 6000 at ColU for their Ukrainian benefit game tonight. Well done to all involved.

Well done indeed and of course the relative League positions of the two clubs is largely irrelevant in the wider context but (and I hadn’t realised this until today) Forest Green are looking nailed on for promotion to League 1 and Colchester are dangerously close to the drop zone.

I see that Forest Green’s home match against Leyton Orient last Tuesday attracted only1890 fans. Are they destined to become the smallest and most unusual club to play in League 1? Apparently they had only won one of their last seven games before last night so yesterday’s win must have been a great relief.

In the light of Colchester’s success in attracting well over double their average home gate, should Wycombe do something similar (including the wearing of blue and yellow kit) or would that be seen by some as cynically opportunistic ? I don’t know whether a share of the gate income at Layer Road was donated to support for Ukraine and its beleaguered citizens (or indeed whether that would be permitted within EFL rules) or perhaps it was just the proceeds of bucket collections.

Food for thought anyway.

• edited March 2022

They donated all gate receipts to British Red Cross. £10 a ticket, so a good £60,000 raised.

• Much as I want us both to go up...I was hoping to see Wycombe at the City Ground again next term! And well done to Col U.

• edited March 2022

Has anyone watched the Forest documentary 'I Believe in Miracles'? I made a start last night and it's brilliantly done.

• Yes @ReturnToSenda, it's excellent isn't it?

• edited March 2022

@ValleyWanderer Came out in 2015 apparently, I just stumbled upon it on Netflix - some great characters in addition to the obvious one!

• I think they were all characters in that team but Clough's genius man management pulled it all together. I've only just last week watched it after a recommendation from a pal.

• I didn't know much about Kenny Burns before, but I think he might be my favourite 70s footballer now

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    They donated all gate receipts to British Red Cross. £10 a ticket, so a good £60,000 raised.

Assuming that Colchester have a thousand or so season ticket holders, the figure would be nearer £50,000 but equally, the ticket prices for a League 2 game must surely be well above £10. Either way, a splendid effort.

• @micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Assuming that Colchester have a thousand or so season ticket holders, the figure would be nearer £50,000 but equally, the ticket prices for a League 2 game must surely be well above £10. Either way, a splendid effort.

Good point! And they just made all tickets a tenner regardless of age category for this one.

• I believe Col U have paid into the find £10 for each season ticket holder (and refunded the season ticket holder if cost per game of their season ticket was more than £10. ). No deductions were made for match staging costs or even for VAT on tickets if a way to make those exempt was not found.

You have to say it is an impressive initiative from Col U . Only slight quibble I would have is that I would have liked the beneficiaries to have been all refugees not just Ukrainian ones.

• edited March 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I didn't know much about Kenny Burns before, but I think he might be my favourite 70s footballer now

Kenny Burns lived two doors down from us in Clifton Village when he joined Forest. Sold his house to Ian Wallace when he moved on.

• Ah...yes Kenny Burns. A lot of forwards kicked out of their boots by that Burns/Lloyd combo. Film was made by Jonny Owen partner of actress Vicky McClure...though I believe she is a County fan!

• Gareth Bale has just scored a free-kick almost as good as one of his compatriot JJ's

• But seriously, that genuinely might have been the best free-kick I've ever seen. Laser-guided.

• I genuinely think it's the best I've seen @ReturnToSenda

People like Ronaldo attempt it but never pull it off

• Stephen Hawking would be re thinking everything if he had seen that

• Think you're both forgetting Stefan Oakes v Doncaster in the league cup

• @LX1 said:
    I genuinely think it's the best I've seen @ReturnToSenda

People like Ronaldo attempt it but never pull it off

For every one Ronaldo gets right, 150 end up in row Z

• @eric_plant said:
    Think you're both forgetting Stefan Oakes v Doncaster in the league cup

True. Every Wycombe free kick was and will be better obvs

• Cousins v Runcorn at Wembley

• Italy failing to qualify for the World Cup, winning the Euros then failing to qualify for the World Cup again is mightily impressive, you've got to say

• You have to admire Italy for boycotting both the Russian and Qatari World Cup, after they bribed their way to victory in 34 and 38