Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• I'm just gonna tap out of this before I get started ?

• Bournemouth still have a group of players with a massive attitude problem. Not surprised they lost today.

• They have a group of players 3rd in the league, so can't have that big an attitude problem can they?

We've seen ourselves what happens when you mix and match squaddies for cup games, you get an unbalanced performance usually.

• I’d have been much happier about the Wood win if they hadn’t brought Nile Ranger on.

• Looked him up on Wikipedia, quite a journey!

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Looked him up on Wikipedia, quite a journey!

Have a Southend supporting colleague who always winces at mention of Nile Ranger.

• Just had a look on Wikipedia.... I didn't realise how much of a scumbag he is. What a wanker

• He issues one of those "I'm sorry" press releases at every club he plays for. Then does exactly the same things again.

• ‘Strewth! Don’t that beat all. One of the most remarkable aspects was that, when he joined the Southampton Academy, they knew nothing about his “chequered” (euphemism!) past until the club received a letter from the Crown Prosecution Service ordering him to attend court to stand trial for armed robbery.

Good luck Southend!

• @drcongo said:
    He issues one of those "I'm sorry" press releases at every club he plays for. Then does exactly the same things again.

Which makes the Southend decision even more remarkable.

• But most remarkable of all, as I’ve just discovered, he’s spent most of the last five years with Southend.

• He's with Boreham Wood now @micra

• @micra said:
    But most remarkable of all, as I’ve just discovered, he’s spent most of the last five years with Southend.

I think he rarely played was involved in various scams but had a good contract so was being very well paid.

• He came on just in time to hear their fans singing the sex offender song, what a lovely story all round, magic of the cup....

• How many Boreham Wood 'fans' were there last night? They average 891 at home, the lowest in the National League.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    How many Boreham Wood 'fans' were there last night? They average 891 at home, the lowest in the National League.

Tyldesley said 1400.

• @bigred87 said:
    Just had a look on Wikipedia.... I didn't realise how much of a scumbag he is. What a wanker

Imagine the "fun" if he had signed for one of Joey Barton's clubs!

• As the late Al the Pal would often remind us, we took 19,500 to Villa Park

• edited February 2022

It appears that Nile Ranger has served all punishments society has given him for his various criminal activities.
    What then is to be done with ex-offenders
    1) encourage them to work using their skills
    2) leave them on benefits for rest of their lives
    3) lock them up and throw away the key
    4) I don’t care as long as out of my sight.
    5) Something else???

• edited February 2022

I don't think there's all that much wrong with people jumping on the bandwagon for big games, but how do you convert them into regulars? Something it would be great if we could solve ourselves (although attendances do seem to be creeping up?)! Then again, I would imagine that for quite a lot of them, Wycombe are their 'other' team - and that's fine too, tbh. Tricky one...

• The answer to that question has been sought after for years

• Nobody says Ranger has to be cast aside, doesn't mean he has to be eternally popular either. To be still playing football on the telly (sort of if briefly) after all he's done is quite impressive tbh. Not just legally but in his conduct at clubs that have given him a chance.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I don't think there's all that much wrong with people jumping on the bandwagon for big games, but how do you convert them into regulars? Something it would be great if we could solve ourselves (although attendances do seem to be creeping up?)! Then again, I would imagine that for quite a lot of them, Wycombe are their 'other' team - and that's fine too, tbh. Tricky one...

The big games and the hype are your added reach, your basic product is what grips people, I'm sure we tried offers and gimmicks but the main thing is making sure it's enjoyable on the field and accessible off it.
    A lot was made at the time that we went from 25000 at Villa Park to about 100 away at somewhere like Hartlepool on the next midweek trip but countless people on here or in club interviews say those games were their first, however long it may have taken them to become regulars if at all.
    Borehamwood have one eye on the league like every other team at their level.

• @drcongo said:
    He's with Boreham Wood now @micra

Indeed he is but I was commenting on the remarkable fact that he’d been with Southend for about five years. He’s only been at Boreham Wood for a couple of months.

• @DevC said:
    It appears that Nile Ranger has served all punishments society has given him for his various criminal activities.
    What then is to be done with ex-offenders
    1) encourage them to work using their skills
    2) leave them on benefits for rest of their lives
    3) lock them up and throw away the key
    4) I don’t care as long as out of my sight.
    5) Something else???

I'm sure every club he's been at for the past decade have had this debate and all of them got a pretty shitty answer.

• In that article he even admits the clubs all treated him well, paid him well and gave him every chance. Perhaps he needs a change of scenery, a new career and a caring mentor to guide him @DevC

• Ranger left Southend in 2018 @micra, 18 months after joining some of which was inside.

Ex offenders are part of society’s reality. I don’t see why an ex-offender who happens to be good at football should be treated differently to an ex-offender who happens to be good at driving fork lift trucks.

• He returned on a month by month basis last year but ties were severed a few months later. He had spent three months with Spalding in the meantime. Since 2016 he has spent much longer with Southend than any other club, not necessarily playing that often for the reasons you adduced!

I didn’t realise he made a substitute appearance for the Wood last night. Wonder how long he’ll be there.

• Being good at driving fork lift trucks is probably more useful to an armed robber than being a good footballer!