Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    I must admit I was not expecting Sunderland to implode so spectacularly again.

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2022/2/7/22917673/editorial-sunderlands-leaders-need-to-step-the-f-k-up-and-sort-it-out-before-this-season-dies

This is pretty hilarious tbh.

Clambering for Keane at any cost when he doesn’t exactly have a pedigree for getting teams promoted. I’d be going for managers that have a proven record of getting teams out of leagues.

• He did a good job all those years ago at Sunderland but he had loads of money thrown at the team by Quinn.

With no transfer window to work with and his tendency to say it how it is, I can see Sunderland heading further south rather than getting them promoted

• @DevC said:
    It’s a fair point Eric.
    It must be a nightmare being the family of a crime victim. Sooner or later, in the vast majority of cases, the perpetrator will come out into the community - often his home town. Your daughter’s rapist might drive the local bus,
    I don’t see a difference with footballers compared to bus drivers to be honest -.

Do you think someone with a previous conviction for rape would get a job as a bus driver?

Do you think someone with Luke McCormick's criminal record would be able to get a job as a bus driver?

As for your other point, fair play if you don't see the difference between professional footballer and bus driver, that's your opinion. I'm sure plenty of others will disagree, myself included

• @DevC said:
    As it happens McCormick was a decent guy - [...] But he made a terrible selfish mistake getting behind the wheel and then he was unlucky enough to hit someone

Maybe this is the big difference in our opinions. You think he's a lovely fella who done a bit of an oopsie. I think he's a piece of shit who killed some children. I don't agree with the chants sung at him, but I also don't think just because he served (*checks notes) less than 4 years for killing two children, that all should be forgiven. It's a truly effing heinous thing that he did and absolutely not something a "decent guy" would do. Given how reliant our current club culture is on signing people of the right character, I can't imagine any of our squad doing what he did and I can't imagine Gaz signing anyone who had done what he did.

Personally, I have never once driven drunk, or even driven after more than a single weak beer. Let alone at 6 in the morning like your friend Luke.

• @wwfcblue said:
    He did a good job all those years ago at Sunderland but he had loads of money thrown at the team by Quinn.

With no transfer window to work with and his tendency to say it how it is, I can see Sunderland heading further south rather than getting them promoted

I’m sure I saw an interview with him once when he was talking about returning to management and that he doubted his own ability to manage in the lower leagues because his demands and expectations on player ability probably wasn’t comparable with it.

I can see he approach giving them a bounce initially but quickly turn sour once the league one level players aren’t able to turn it on like the players he’s used to playing with.

• edited February 2022

@drcongo said:

@DevC said:
    As it happens McCormick was a decent guy - [...] But he made a terrible selfish mistake getting behind the wheel and then he was unlucky enough to hit someone

Maybe this is the big difference in our opinions. You think he's a lovely fella who done a bit of an oopsie. I think he's a piece of shit who killed some children. I don't agree with the chants sung at him, but I also don't think just because he served (*checks notes) less than 4 years for killing two children, that all should be forgiven. It's a truly effing heinous thing that he did and absolutely not something a "decent guy" would do. Given how reliant our current club culture is on signing people of the right character, I can't imagine any of our squad doing what he did and I can't imagine Gaz signing anyone who had done what he did.

Personally, I have never once driven drunk, or even driven after more than a single weak beer. Let alone at 6 in the morning like your friend Luke.

Let’s be a little careful here. We did have a player that killed a woman and himself after a night on the drink. And his shirt was retired.

I’m not saying that Luke isn’t a scum bag, just that I wouldn’t say we are completely immune from players that might do the wrong thing.

• I firmly believe that everyone can make a mistake (no matter how misguided we believe the mistake to be) and be allowed to atone for it and get on with their lives. We have all made mistakes/errors of judgement in our lives and most of us have luckily got away with them; some haven't and they have paid a price.

As others have pointed out there are processes in place to prevent those who have committed certain crimes from taking particular roles e.g CRB checks etc. but beyond this we should allow offenders who have completed their punishment to reintegrate in to society and work (as much as is possible).

Where I have an issue, but not a solution, is that small percentage of people who are repeat offenders. It strikes me that we gave them a chance after the first offence to get their heads together and have failed to do so and each subsequent offence is just taking the piss out of all of us...

• Sometimes I feel like @Erroll_Sims is the little angel that sits on my shoulder in a Tom and Jerry cartoon turning my frothing nonsense into something sane.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@drcongo said:

@DevC said:

Let’s be a little careful here. We did have a player that killed a woman and himself after a night on the drink. And his shirt was retired.

I’m not saying that Luke isn’t a scum bag, just that I wouldn’t say we are completely immune from players that might do the wrong thing.

Slight difference between the Philo case and signing a player when you know what they've done. He's right about the "current club culture" anyway - absolutely incomprehensible that Gaz and Dobbo would even consider signing someone like McCormick.

• For the record, I think we should admit we got it wrong and un-retire the 14 shirt. It's a bit of a stain on our history.

• edited February 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@drcongo said:

@DevC said:

Slight difference between the Philo case and signing a player when you know what they've done. He's right about the "current club culture" anyway - absolutely incomprehensible that Gaz and Dobbo would even consider signing someone like McCormick.

I don’t disagree that there is that difference. But there’s also similarities between us and Plymouth in that we both had to react to a current player being involved in an incident which resulted in a death.

I believe we reacting horrifically with hindsight making decisions before the full facts were known.

I genuinely don’t know how we would react if a current player did the same today as Luke. On the one hand we have Proven record of “doing the right right thing”. We also have a proven record of standing by players when they have do the wrong thing - which can also be called “doing the right right”.

I’m getting away from my point slightly however, is I think we need to be careful in dictating the rights and wrongs of dealing with players and criminal records.

We’ve cheered on two players that have killed people (although one in a car crash). And one that carried out armed robberies and an alleged rape (while living in Wycombe). You don’t know what mistakes people make either when player for us, before playing for us, or after playing for us.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Looked him up on Wikipedia, quite a journey!

@Forest_Blue said:
    Looked him up on Wikipedia, quite a journey!

Egyptian conservationist to professional footballer!

• @TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@drcongo said:

@DevC said:

I don’t disagree that there is that difference. But there’s also similarities between us and Plymouth in that we both had to react to a current player being involved in an incident which resulted in a death.

I believe we reacting horrifically with hindsight making decisions before the full facts were known.

I genuinely don’t know how we would react if a current player did the same today as Luke. On the one hand we have Proven record of “doing the right right thing”. We also have a proven record of standing by players when they have do the wrong thing - which can also be called “doing the right right”.

I’m getting away from my point slightly however, is I think we need to be careful in dictating the rights and wrongs of dealing with players and criminal records.

We’ve cheered on two players that have killed people. And one that carried out armed robberies and an alleged rape (while living in Wycombe)

Who's the third player? Zebroski?

• edited February 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@drcongo said:

@DevC said:

We’ve cheered on two players that have killed people. And one that carried out armed robberies and an alleged rape (while living in Wycombe)

Nathan Aston (armed robbery and rape - of which he was cleared - after his career finished)
    Gavin Grant
    Mark Philo

Edit:Didn’t realise Chris Zebrowski was also jailed.

• edited February 2022

I am largely in agreement with @Erroll_Sims post above.

There seems to be an increasing tendency for pigeonholing people as either "good guys" or "bad guys" - you have to be one or the other - there is no room for human weakness, error or an individual act of stupidity. No room for being generally a good guy but a flawed good guy. If you do something wrong you forever move from the "good guy" box to the "bad guy" box. While never condoning or excusing the act itself, I think we should show some understanding and forgiveness towards those who have committed crimes and consider sometimes but for the grace of god..... (Few of us for example are perfect drivers, few of us I suspect never speed, some of us may have occasionally driven while over the limit in the past, maybe some still do, all of us will occasionally make driving cock ups. Anyone of those could lead to a serious accident.

Often it seems to be the very people so keen quite rightly to eliminate prejudice based on colour of skin who show the most inflexibility and lack of tolerance towards human beings who have shown themselves to be fallible. With respect I think those people have got it wrong.

Others have mentioned Mark Philo. he acted like a dick that night. Both he and Mrs Gammon and their respective families paid a terrible price for that stupidity. Had he have survived, he would, rightly in my view, have been punished for that behaviour. Would that have made him forever an undesirable, a bad person, one no longer fit to be seen on a football pitch, to be hidden away and forever be subject to abuse, discrimination and contempt? No in my opinion. He would have paid his price to society and then should be free to live the rest of his life equal to the rest of us.

I don't know Mark Philo's character. He may have been an otherwise decent guy who made a tragic mistake that night and caused great harm to himself his family and his victims. He may have been generally a right dick. I genuinely don't know. I understand Luke McCormick is an otherwise decent guy who made a terrible error of judgement that night with terrible consequences for many. He could have been lucky and avoided an accident despite his stupidity like many others have but that wasn't to be his fate. He was rightly punished for his actions. But having paid his price to society he is now Luke McCormick - my equal with the same rights and responsibilities as me and everyone else - he is not "people like Luke McCormick" worthy of abuse and banishment from sight and a worthless member of our society.

I understand others may disagree as is their right.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@drcongo said:

@DevC said:

Nathan Aston (armed robbery and rape - of which he was cleared - after his career finished)
    Gavin Grant
    Mark Philo

Edit:Didn’t realise Chris Zebrowski was also jailed.

Even in our noble Semi Proffesional days, with arch disciplinarian and corinthian spirited Brian Lee as chairman, we have signed a player that served a prison sentence .

• @DevC said:

Often it seems to be the very people so keen quite rightly to eliminate prejudice based on colour of skin who show the most inflexibility and lack of tolerance towards human beings who have shown themselves to be fallible. With respect I think those people have got it wrong.

I've re-read this about 5 times and I still have no idea

• To be fair most church authorities rather than contact the police and ruining someone's career just moved sex offenders around to ensure they had loads of chances to reform.

• @eric_plant said:

@DevC said:

I've re-read this about 5 times and I still have no idea

It's a thinly veiled dig at me, confusingly conflating prejudice against someone for an inherent trait, with prejudice against someone for choosing to be reckless enough to kill two children.

• @Wendoverman said:
    To be fair most church authorities rather than contact the police and ruining someone's career just moved sex offenders around to ensure they had loads of chances to reform.

Most church authorities do not do that.

• @floyd said:

@Wendoverman said:
    To be fair most church authorities rather than contact the police and ruining someone's career just moved sex offenders around to ensure they had loads of chances to reform.

Most church authorities do not do that

Nowadays

• I think you're missing the word "Catholic" there.

• @Wendoverman said:

@floyd said:

@Wendoverman said:

Most church authorities do not do that

Nowadays

I’m not sure ‘most’ ever did. But one is one too many.

• @drcongo said:

It's a thinly veiled dig at me, confusingly conflating prejudice against someone for an inherent trait, with prejudice against someone for choosing to be reckless enough to kill two children.

Not just you, Dr - a way of thinking that a few both on this forum and in life have. I have drafted a more detailed response a couple of times and then realised there is little to gain by pursuing this. You are pretty black or white in your thinking, I see more shades of grey. That's fine we all think differently. In truth your more tribalistic way of thinking is gaining traction both on the "momentum" left and the "populist" right, my more consensual "liberal" outlook is getting squeezed by the absolutism that the internet era encourages. Can't say I like it but feck it, lets just enjoy the football. Enjoy the game.

• @Wendoverman said:

I think that's about as accurate as saying most of your posts are really serious and straight.

• More alleged racism, this time aimed at Notts County’s Rob Hall.

• https://mobile.twitter.com/BwfcFans/status/1491373617158193154

If Bolton fans decide to throw the ol' "timewasting/boring/anti-football" comments at us in future...

After they were so up in arms at their place who'd of thought they'd be loving it now that they are winning games

• I was wondering what the unpleasant odour was but it's just Peterborough continuing to stink out the Championship. Their season has been embarrassing and only Reading and Derby's points deductions are making it any less so.

• And Uche puts Cardiff 4 up against hapless Posh. Good lad.

• Only been on the pitch 9 minutes.