Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• edited February 2022

• Oxford have just scored

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Amadou Bakayoko scores a 104th-min equaliser for 10-man Bolton after the game was stopped for racist abuse from the Morecambe fans

• Oh blooming heck, I hadn't re-checked Oxford..

Garhh 3-2!!

• Oxford winning is a real blow. A win on Tuesday is so important now.

• Have a look on the Sunderland board on not 606 it's feckin' hilarious,at this rate they'll want Johnson back, LOL!!

• Real feel for Kidderminster missing out on a replay due the Premier League greed. It’s just not right having just one game in the FA Cup. The prestigious, World renowned, historic FA Cup

• There is a pandemic that has been causing havoc with fixtures too. There is that going on as well in fairness.

• Just because something is traditional doesn't mean it's good/right. Scrapping replays is pretty clearly going to increase the chance of upsets anyway. The game changes...

• @Malone said:
    There is a pandemic that has been causing havoc with fixtures too. There is that going on as well in fairness.

I’d be willing to buy that if there was any chance replays will be bought back. I just don’t see it though.
    Just hope those promote change realise what they are ripping apart.

• That is still to be seen, agreed.
    They will never please everyone. Some fans still long for the days of infinite replays, which is just utterly incompatible with modern day fixture lists.

I'd probably have replays until a certain round. Definitely this one, with the 5th round to be argued. By that logic, the smaller clubs are usually long gone by that round, but if they do get there, they're creaming in enough finances from it anyway, to not lose out.
    Plus as RTS suggests above, the chances for little clubs to beat bigger clubs are usually better in that one off scenario.

• They were dropped from the fifth round in 2018/19

• They should weight gate receipts in favour of the lower-ranked club - maybe increasing that based on the number of divisions between the clubs

• @Malone said:
    That is still to be seen, agreed.
    They will never please everyone. Some fans still long for the days of infinite replays, which is just utterly incompatible with modern day fixture lists.

I'd probably have replays until a certain round. Definitely this one, with the 5th round to be argued. By that logic, the smaller clubs are usually long gone by that round, but if they do get there, they're creaming in enough finances from it anyway, to not lose out.
    Plus as RTS suggests above, the chances for little clubs to beat bigger clubs are usually better in that one off scenario.

Not buying the better chance of winning narrative one little bit. The lower ranked team is still playing a one off match at first with or without a replay. They have the same chance of winning that match and a replay gives them an extra one off chance with a draw.

If anything the easy way clubs have been allowed to cancel matches this season shows there is room in the fixture list for a couple of cup replays once the pandemic eases.

• To be fair in a replay at the London Stadium - money spinning as it might be - I fear West Ham would have spanked them.

• Doesn't matter, they deserved their shot

Absolutely no justification for scrapping replays

• @Wendoverman said:
    To be fair in a replay at the London Stadium - money spinning as it might be - I fear West Ham would have spanked them.

I wonder what those Kiddeminster players and fans would have preferred, another 30 minutes, or a night of their lives at the Olympic Stadium.

Imagine advocating for a system where one of the greatest nights in our history would never have happened.

• @floyd said:

@Wendoverman said:
    To be fair in a replay at the London Stadium - money spinning as it might be - I fear West Ham would have spanked them.

I wonder what those Kiddeminster players and fans would have preferred, another 30 minutes, or a night of their lives at the Olympic Stadium.

Imagine advocating for a system where one of the greatest nights in our history would never have happened.

Exactly. The best Wycombe game of all time

• edited February 2022

They could have had another 30 minutes, seen their team win on penalties, and still had the night of their lives in the next round.

• edited February 2022

Also, arguing for the preservation of replays based on little more than sentimentality is pretty flimsy.

Which gives more chance of an upset: 90 mins + an extra 30 mins + pens, or 90 mins + another 90 mins + a further 30 + pens? It makes perfect sense in terms of 'magic' and practicality.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Also, arguing for the preservation of replays based on little more than sentimentality is pretty flimsy.

Which gives more chance of an upset: 90 mins + an extra 30 mins + pens, or 90 mins + another 90 mins + a further 30 + pens? It makes perfect sense in terms of 'magic' and practicality.

I would very much argue that 90 + 90 (and then ET, pens) offers the best chance of an upset. You would expect the ‘better’ teams to be fitter and stronger going in extra time and therefore gives them more of an advantage.

If you look at our game at White Hart Lane, if we had held out at 3-3 it would have given us a replay at Adams Park and some momentum to build on.

More importantly a reply would have caused interest and excitement in the town that adds drama to the occasion out of which you can help hook new supporters.

Football for supporters, has to me, become more something that is consumed rather than experienced these days.

The reasons that people of my generation bang on about the likes of Bedford and Leek is because when you do have these ongoing replays, it somehow seemed to matter more.

If we’d beaten Bedford after penalties in the first game I doubt if I would have any memory of it at all. The fact that 45 (roughly) years later I can still recall how I felt walking to Loakes Park that evening of the second replay and just how much it really meant winning that game is, for me, part of why supporting Wycombe is so much a part of my life, even when on practical terms these days it makes little sense.

Taking things like replays out of the equation just means,I think, that you have to work just that little bit harder to get those new supporters you can attract to keep coming year after year

• edited February 2022

I have to admit I didn’t want to see the replays scrapped, but… I wonder if knowing 100% that there will be no extra date in the diary combined with the fear of being knocked out on pens or in extra time on the day has lead to stronger line ups from the big clubs.

Say what you will, but this gives you 3 attempts at winning a cup shock at the first attempt (90 mins, extra time, pens) rather than one (90 mins).

For example…

Utd slipped up but started with a very strong team and West Ham took a very strong team down to National League North in Kidderminster yesterday.

Back to the Kidderminster question posted earlier, I would respond by saying would the players (who are professionals or at least semi professionals) prefer to win and get into the next round against Luton for example, or have a big day out replay at West Ham. I sincerely hope they would have said the former.

• It is all interesting in fairness.

Would we have beaten Jack Charlton’s Middlesbrough on the day? Possibly.

Would we have lost to Oxford City on the day? Possibly.

• LX1LX1
    edited February 2022

I'm against scrapping replays, but purely from a probability point of view, there is no question...no replay increases the chance of the underdog progressing.

• Interesting to think some fans have totally bought in to the narrative of fewer matches when surely as a supporter you'd want more of the support you love. Especially another go at a cup tie that has ended in a draw.

And to backward engineer an argument that it gives lower ranked teams more chance when the only reason it was bought in was to give the bigger teams time to fit in a winter break and leave the lower clubs fewer chances at earning some money and creating memories for their supporters.

• edited February 2022

Things are a little messy at Barnet right now.

To summarise:

A Stockport player alleged that one of the Barnet coaching staff shouted racist abuse at him during the game. The club have since stood by their staff member and said it was misheard.

Club captain Jamie Turley, after the incident, challenged the staff member and there was an altercation. He has now been suspended by the club.

• I think I saw Barnet played yesterday so maybe its moved on a bit. The behaviour of some has really reached the gutter. The Rotherham pitch intruder just as a penalty was to be taken is awful and the incident at Morecambe is extremely worrying.

I really worry some scum are feeling empowered that they really can stop matches. I fear it will get worse.

• @floyd said:

@Wendoverman said:

I was not advocating the elimination of every sacred footballing memory. Just that West Ham would win.

• edited February 2022

They had a good chat on Quest last night about fan behaviour and rightly made the point that we all (the well-behaved majority) have a responsibility to weed out the shitbags. It would also be nice if the footballing powers that be showed some interest in properly combatting and punishing discrimination etc - e.g. by taking actual meaningful action such as docking points. As it stands, it's only going to get worse.

• Weeding out the shitbags sounds like an invitation to get punched to me. All very moral and probably correct in theory but as someone who has tried to do the right thing before it’s an almost impossible task.

I really fear for our next big home game