Skip to content

Match day thread: Morecambe

Comments

• Yes agree @TheDancingYak. I started the Horgan thread and stated that he was important in that front three but his finishing was poor, so glad he got that one yesterday and somewhat proved me wrong. He also deserves credit as you say, for starting the comeback ball rolling.
    Amazing and although most of us were bemoaning a very under par performance at the end of the first half, most of us would have been thinking one early goal in the second half would get us back in the hunt.
    Brilliant second half and the never say die attitude of this squad was there for all to see once again.
    COYB!!!!!

• @HorspathBlue said:
    From behind the goal it looked like their defender, under pressure from Taf, was the last to touch it. But it was already over the line.

Have you even watched that clip ? And others ? It wasn't over the line already

• A quite good and fair read from a Morecambe perspective

https://shrimplythebestfootball.com/2021/10/02/oh-no/

• Yes, an excellent and balanced report. The Shrimps are certainly a good side and will no doubt do well in their remaining 'block of four' games.

• @HolmerBlue said:

@HorspathBlue said:
    From behind the goal it looked like their defender, under pressure from Taf, was the last to touch it. But it was already over the line.

I have, and it looks over the line to me.

• “You can’t score three goals away from home and lose the game”

This is a new one on me.

• @drcongo said:

@HolmerBlue said:

@HorspathBlue said:

I have, and it looks over the line to me.

Ok, perhaps it's just me that can see the defender standing a yard off the goal line when it hits him on the head and goes in then. Anyway, it sounds like I'm trying to do a disservice to Taff, which I'm not ! Don't care how we get the goals

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    I have no idea what it’s like to follow another team but I can’t imagine many clubs have had a decade like us.

Coventry for starters, having Wasps visited upon them and the consequent loss of their ground, almost into the non-league slough of despond and now in their second season in the second tier. I have always felt that they got hit by the bullet that we only just dodged, thanks in no small part to the efforts of some of the posters on the Gasroom, sadly in the very teeth of opposition of some other still frequent posters.

Then there are the PNL who must consider that their lot in life has improved considerably, though far from their heyday in the warm embrace of that lovely Maxwell family.

• A great win but a real credit to our management team of Gareth and Dobbo for making that change at half time. A change with the existing personnel that didn’t initially alert Morecambe to it.
    And well played Obita.
    Just can’t stop watching those goals and the reaction at the final whistle. A real magic day.

• First half we just didn’t get started. We were sloppy with the ball, pressured by an excellent Morecambe performance and we didn’t adapt to the conditions. Missed passes and Mia-controlled balls the whole half. Two errors leading to goals. Very poor, but Morecambe looked a very decent side.

The tactical switch at half time really was top class by GA and Dobbo. Someone has already mentioned that by not changing personnel it didn’t advertise the change which was spot on. Moved to 4-3-3 with Horgan moved deeper and Obita particularly closer to Sam Vokes, who put in a 45 minute performance as good as I can remember from a Wycombe number 9. A bit like Andy Rammell at his best, absolutely brilliant and a wonderful and highly skilled header to equalise. If he can emulate that performance more often than not going forward we are going to be a huge threat this season.

What a second half performance from the team, pure fight, energy and a complete refusal to give up. Brilliant team effort.

And Hanlan coming on looked excellent again, he really looks a good signing, strong, quick and very good on the ball. Sure he will start up top with Vokes next week, with McCleary behind (as no Horgan). Same 8 as GK, defence and midfield.

20 points from 10 games is seriously impressive given that I really don’t think we have hugely clicked yet. It’s a cliche but someone is going to get hammered by us this season.

• I found it interesting that GA seems to have viewed this game as something of a benchmark for the season.

From memory didn’t the home loss to them cost us automatic promotion a few seasons back and I think we’ve had a couple more blips against them since, so I think for him, possibly more than the team this was a key victory.

• Amazing watching that clip as in real time from the FA stand it looked a clear Taf head in!

• @bookertease said:
    I found it interesting that GA seems to have viewed this game as something of a benchmark for the season.

From memory didn’t the home loss to them cost us automatic promotion a few seasons back and I think we’ve had a couple more blips against them since, so I think for him, possibly more than the team this was a key victory.

I think we had consecutive seasons where a late home defeat to Morecambe cost us. Automatic promotion in 14/15 and the play offs in 15/16 IIRC.

• @bookertease said:
    I found it interesting that GA seems to have viewed this game as something of a benchmark for the season.

I have to disagree with him there. This is a completely different Morecambe - not sure the 'bogey team' factor really comes into play.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@bookertease said:

I have to disagree with him there. This is a completely different Morecambe - not sure the 'bogey team' factor really comes into play.

That’s the issue with statisticians. Far too reasonable and rational.

I bet you don’t even bother about making sure you wear the right underwear go through the same turnstile, eat a Mars bar at half time and make sure you predict a wycombe loss before every game…

• @bookertease I have got the same coffee from the same place en route to every home game this season and will keep it up until we lose ?‍♂️

• Oh the entertainment in the Valley end yesterday and to cap it all one of the yoofs being carried out by stewards and another marched out soon after. I wondered what they’d done…they missed a great finish!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • For me a memorable moment in the game was seeing Horgan sprinting off when substituted. Nothing quite expressed the belief that we were going to score again to clinch the victory.

• Can't actually believe we've got Sam Vokes, seems a bit unfair

• @MBS said:
    Oh the entertainment in the Valley end yesterday and to cap it all one of the yoofs being carried out by stewards and another marched out soon after. I wondered what they’d done…they missed a great finish!

Any idea what they were doing? You have to be doing some obnoxious stuff to be kicked out.

Some guy was vaping a bit in front in the FA and made me wonder, is that actually treated like smoking at games or is it allowed?

• The whole drummer business has become a silly mess but hard not to raise a smirk at someone doing the Gape song to him; Who's the worst drummer in the football league, it's you Tom, Tom.... Not helpful or nice but at least inventive.
    Couple of ageing goons in front of me seemed to doing their best to get thrown out after a steward had the gall to ask the poor sunflowers if they'd mind keeping the stairway free. Perhaps the bright yellow was a little too subtle for their inebriated minds.

• @Twizz said:
    For me a memorable moment in the game was seeing Horgan sprinting off when substituted. Nothing quite expressed the belief that we were going to score again to clinch the victory.

Thanks @Twizz . Took the words right out of my mouth there. If there was anything to sum up this teams "never say die" spirit, then that moment captured it for me. Priceless.

• @HomerLone, he showed a surprising turn of pace given it was the 88th minute. Demonstrated to team mates and fans alike that (at least as far as he was concerned) the game was still there for the winning.

• @bookertease said:
    A quite good and fair read from a Morecambe perspective

https://shrimplythebestfootball.com/2021/10/02/oh-no/

Not entirely sure about the route 1 comment. Stockdale, JJ, Anis, Thompson, net. About 90 metres in 45 seconds and not one pass longer than about 15 yards.

• @bluntphil I had meant to say as well thanks as always for a brilliant commentary, you add a much to my ‘matchday experience’ with your excellent commentary. I thought the guy beside you yesterday (Ed?) was superb as well. Not heard him previously but was very impressed.

• @Quarterman said:
    @bluntphil I had meant to say as well thanks as always for a brilliant commentary, you add a much to my ‘matchday experience’ with your excellent commentary. I thought the guy beside you yesterday (Ed?) was superb as well. Not heard him previously but was very impressed.

Yeah the guy on co-commentary was fantastic. I must confess, listening to the rerun on RTB, I grinned when hearing Phil commentating on our goals. The excitement and passion grew with every goal. We’re blessed to have him involved in our wonderful club.

• May be biased but Blunt Phil is the best commentator there is. Some of his lines are laugh out loud funny. After the Shrewsbury game JJ said he always scores when his dad is away on holiday. So when he'd apparently scored direct from the corner. Phil instructed his dad to stay on the sun lounger and burn his passport. But when the co commentator said the BBC had given it to Taff Phil apologised and said he was sure the embassy could sort it out. You maybe had to be there.

And his bit for 3CR after the game he said Wycombe went from crying in the rain at half time to singing in the rain at full time!!!

• edited October 2021

@StrongestTeam said:
    The whole drummer business has become a silly mess but hard not to raise a smirk at someone doing the Gape song to him; Who's the worst drummer in the football league, it's you Tom, Tom.... Not helpful or nice but at least inventive.
    Couple of ageing goons in front of me seemed to doing their best to get thrown out after a steward had the gall to ask the poor sunflowers if they'd mind keeping the stairway free. Perhaps the bright yellow was a little too subtle for their inebriated minds.

[deleted by admin]

• @Watford_Blue said:
    May be biased but Blunt Phil is the best commentator there is. Some of his lines are laugh out loud funny. After the Shrewsbury game JJ said he always scores when his dad is away on holiday. So when he'd apparently scored direct from the corner. Phil instructed his dad to stay on the sun lounger and burn his passport. But when the co commentator said the BBC had given it to Taff Phil apologised and said he was sure the embassy could sort it out. You maybe had to be there.

And his bit for 3CR after the game he said Wycombe went from crying in the rain at half time to singing in the rain at full time!!!

Spot on! As an iFollow-reliant fan, Phil is an absolute legend. Fans of other clubs are missing out (as the Boro fans last year realized when they asked for a transfer).