Skip to content

Match day thread: Morecambe

Comments

• The scenes when we scored the winner were fantastic

It was almost like a film, nearly all Morecambe players were sprawled in the box, out on their feet. To be fair they contributed towards an incredible match. Brilliant stuff.

• I know we love a comeback, but wouldn't it be nice to go out perform as we all can, and just comfortably win 3-0

• Amazing second half. What great character shown by the lads to produce that second half display.

• @Jonny7 said:
    A mention for the ref who I thought was superb.

Fabulous advantage played for the winning goal. Top class reffing.

• I feel sorry for people that don't like football, and I feel sorry for people that don't support Wycombe

• Newly promoted too.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    The scenes when we scored the winner were fantastic

It was almost like a film, nearly all Morecambe players were sprawled in the box, out on their feet. To be fair they contributed towards an incredible match. Brilliant stuff.

The perfect last gasp goal too - slammed in from outside the area through a sea of players.

• That was the craziest game I have seen for a long time. Gareth what the f@@k did you say at half time. ??

• @johnthehair said:
    That was the craziest game I have seen for a long time. Gareth what the f@@k did you say at half time. ??

Probably along the lines of the first part of your second sentence.

• @Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    I have to admit, a little bit of wee came out when Thompson scored.

You're not the guy who sits behind me who constantly screams YEAHHHHHH ohhh, every time there's a shot within 20metres of the goal, are you?

Genuinely sounds like he may need pant replacements a few times a game.

• Morecambe were very good. I would not have begrudged them a point so great result for us.

• Like our last promotion season (or was it 2 promo seasons ago?) where we'd do these come back wins constantly.

Up there with any of those.

Did anyone see one of Wycombe's fairest fans offering to streak if we got back into the game?
    WWFC Twitter re-tweeted it after the win, but hastily deleted it!
    Obviously got swept along in the excitement!

• Everyone's passing was poor first half.or Morecambe were just doing an excellent job charging tjem down..I thought Thompson was doing alright meself. Their goalie was carrying a bit of timber.

• @micra said:
    Newly promoted too.

His first season on the EFL and if that Ref continues like that, we'll hopefully see him in the Championship next season!

• @prufrock_91 said:
    I know we love a comeback, but wouldn't it be nice to go out perform as we all can, and just comfortably win 3-0

No, that would be boring.

• Seemed that too many of our players were losing their footing first half! Maybe they changed their boots at half-time too!

• Anyone know who it was that was sent off from the oppositions bench? I was too busy celebrating to biting what happened.

Going to guess they’ll be some “the third goal shouldn’t have counted” droning on in the press conference

• See what happened. There was no biting

• Mad mad mad afternoon. So much to ponder. Absolutely out of it first half. Second half just exhausting. Orbita as a second striker alongside Vokes? Was that the tactic for the first part of the second half? He certainly didn’t seem to be LWB.
    Demons galore put to bed today.
    Just great. Simply great.

And kudos ref for the advantage. Brilliant piece of officiating

• Yes 4-3-3 in second half with JJ playing as a conventional left back and Obita and McCleary playing off Vokes.

Good to see us having the flexibility to make the change. Interesting to see how we line-up next week as a front three of GMac, Hanlan and Vokes sounds pretty exciting.

• Morecambe did a great job of feeding off our slack passing and punishing any over confidence from our centre backs on the ball. They moved the ball well and we couldn't deal with their running off the ball, though looked like they were playing as well as they were going to. As dreadful as we were, even when we were 2-0 down at half time I knew we had it in us to turn this around. With the pouring rain and rousing comeback completed with plenty of time left, it reminded me of that Macclesfield 5-4 game that still haunts me to this day. Morecambe's equaliser brought more than a smidgen of déjà vu, though credit to us for refusing to be beaten at the end.

As disappointing as our first half performance was how little appetite there seemed to be from our crowd. Someone who listened on the radio posted on here to say how quiet it was, too much passiveness and gawping at magic bricks for an curmudgeon like me. Fortunately not negative getting on the players' backs, but little effort in roaring the lads back into the game. The atmosphere in the second half by contrast was fantastic, just what we'd all been missing in those dark days of fans being locked out.

• Yeah, difficult to put your finger on what happened early on. The first goal seemed to be a bit of a mess , bad angles as much as poor play, then some simple passes and Goalie distribution were going off , possibly due to the conditions , and it just looked disjointed and a bit lacking in midfield. We weren't at the races and Morecambe were decent. Not to put it all at Horgan's door again but you're left thinking maybe against big teams or where the conditions are bad or we are overly tired we might need to start off with 3 sitters for a bit. But then we go on and create and we get that boost. Something definitely clicked with Vokes today and I think the subs were right and needed and clever.
    Lovely day in the end. If we ever wonder how far we have come in 6/7 years, and we tend to look at that fairly proudly fairly regularly, whilst Curtis was scoring the winner his ex team that didn't need him were losing 4-1 to Woking.

• Also I thought Morecambe's no. 8 was excellent for them, at first glance looked like he was a marionette with his limbs flailing around but ran the show for them first half.

• @Theatre_of_Chairs said:

@Jonny7 said:
    A mention for the ref who I thought was superb.

Fabulous advantage played for the winning goal. Top class reffing.

Credit also to JJ who, in an instant, realised it was more advantageous to carry on playing than to go for the set piece delivery into the box. He could easily have stopped, thus forcing the ref to award the free kick.

• It's still showing as Taf's goal. Boooooo.

• @Theatre_of_Chairs said:
    Yes 4-3-3 in second half with JJ playing as a conventional left back and Obita and McCleary playing off Vokes.

Good to see us having the flexibility to make the change. Interesting to see how we line-up next week as a front three of GMac, Hanlan and Vokes sounds pretty exciting.

That's how I saw it too.
    Surprised at reading people saying Obita was a striker?!

• @Malone said:

@Theatre_of_Chairs said:
    Yes 4-3-3 in second half with JJ playing as a conventional left back and Obita and McCleary playing off Vokes.

That's how I saw it too.
    Surprised at reading people saying Obita was a striker?!

He was up with Vokes for maybe 30 seconds, Wing backs should get forward occasionally, didn't look like he was actually being deployed as a striker.

• edited October 2021

Gaz said on 3CR after the game that Obita was playing up top (and it certainly looked that way anyway) with the intention that he would be replaced by Hanlon at some point.

Re the third goal - Pete tweeted a video of it and the angle shows it definitely wasn’t heading in directly from the corner.

Surprised to hear the boos at half time. We were woeful but fans should know by now not to write off this team.

• Vokes was absolutely fantastic 2.d half , total contrast from the 1st half

• Hanlan looks very impressive. Strong and exciting on the ball. Looking forward to see him start next week.