Skip to content

Match day thread: Morecambe

Comments

• First half we played more of a passing game, which was difficult in the conditions and helped Morecambe, who were happy to get 10 men behind the ball and counter attack.

I thought we simplified our game a bit second half. More direct to Vokes, with Obita pushing up to left wing to run beyond and get onto the flicks.

The half time switch also allowed JJ to get forward and deliver some early crosses from deep. Along with a well-timed goal from Horgan that change of shape really swung the game and we capitalised with two goals during the spell on top.

Excellent work from the management team. I have to say I was annoyed we didn’t make subs before HT but in the end they got it spot on. Great impact from the subs too - I think Hanlan’s turn and pass leads to the corner for the 3rd (?) and then Mehmeti does well to drive at the defender late on and get a shot away for the 4th.

Morecambe played well and can feel quite unlucky not to have come away with a point.

• Have to confess, I couldn't understand the logic of playing Obita up front trying to feed off Vokes at the start of the second half when we had Hanlan and Kaikai on the bench.
    However credit were it's due because it certainly worked a treat. Excellent result - none of us need remember the first half. Roll on Gillingham next week which the club have confirmed on Twitter will go ahead.

• Has just become my latest desktop background picture!!

• It was their manager who got sent off btw

• Just got home, horrible conditions so I really feel for the Morecambe fans who have a lot further to go.

I didn’t think we were that bad in the first half, apart from the horror show of that first goal (no shout from Stocko? And why wasn’t he getting back on his line?). We were just outplayed. If the second half had been anything like the first I would have written off the season. But blimey what a second half. When was the last time we scored 4 second half goals?

• @TheDancingYak said:
    Anyone know who it was that was sent off from the oppositions bench? I was too busy celebrating to biting what happened.

Going to guess they’ll be some “the third goal shouldn’t have counted” droning on in the press conference

Their manager for allegedly/seemingly abusing the assistant referee on our second goal. He then sat in their director's box but kept on trying to coach his team and shout at their bench from there.

• I'll be keen on seeing the 2nd goal we scored, as I was foolishly in the toilet. First time I've missed a goal in many a year!
    But their first goal was a joke. Looked like it was a gentle pea roller backpass from their man and it just somehow zoomed in. Unbelievable.

• It didn’t really zoom in. He side footed the ball and obviously had no intention to shoot. I love Stocko but god knows what he was doing for that one.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:

@Theatre_of_Chairs said:
    Yes 4-3-3 in second half with JJ playing as a conventional left back and Obita and McCleary playing off Vokes.

Good to see us having the flexibility to make the change. Interesting to see how we line-up next week as a front three of GMac, Hanlan and Vokes sounds pretty exciting.

That's how I saw it too.
    Surprised at reading people saying Obita was a striker?!

He was up with Vokes for maybe 30 seconds, Wing backs should get forward occasionally, didn't look like he was actually being deployed as a striker.

I did wonder if he was meant to be there or someone didn’t get the memo he had moved up top about 30 seconds into the second half when it was played out to where he should have been (if he was still playing as a wing back).

Couple of words for Hanlan too - a post width shy of scoring with his first touch and then a little later he played a magnificent ball, after dropping short turning and looping it just over the head of the defender and onto Mcarthy (I think it was). I was sat directly behind the ball and it looked a magnificent bit of play.

Think we have a good one there too.

• According to their gaffer, he was sent off for leaving his technical area. He claims he simply asked if it was a foul on the keeper. Incidentally, they are claiming fouls in both the second and third of our goals.

• Hanlon almost made a dream start...big and yet also quick. He was really useful. Looks like a great signing

• @Wendoverman said:
    Hanlon almost made a dream start...big and yet also quick. He was really useful. Looks like a great signing

The sign of how good he is will be when people spell his name correctly ;)

• Just read through the whole thread having just got home through the floods. What a thread of two half’s and I am sure some would like their half time musings back. Didn’t enjoy the booing at half time and some of the abuse shouted during the first half. Firstly I didn’t think we did that badly and were simply outplayed after the early mix up for the first goal. Secondly whoever doesn’t know you don’t give up on this side needs to finally get the message.

The spark that threatened occasionally first half arrived from Horgan and I am so pleased for him.

Few other thoughts on the match

The Morecambe number eight was fantastic. Their much hyped number nine much less so.

Didn’t the keeper save Hanlan’s first touch that ended up hitting the post?

Obita up front was a master stroke. A substitution would have signalled a formation change but him simply appearing next to Vokes certainly got us back in the game.

And finally I’d love to hear from those who left before the end and hope that at least a couple of people I heared giving the team dogs abuse in the first half were amongst them.

• Thank goodness the Morecambe striker shot just before our winning goal as if he’d passed it would likely have been 4-3 against us.

• Just seen a video on twitter and Taf doesn't get anywhere near that goal... looked a clear OG to me

• @Malone said:

@Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    I have to admit, a little bit of wee came out when Thompson scored.

You're not the guy who sits behind me who constantly screams YEAHHHHHH ohhh, every time there's a shot within 20metres of the goal, are you?

Genuinely sounds like he may need pant replacements a few times a game.

No , not me. I normally inhabit the Terrace, but I couldn’t make today’s game and was listening to Phil on the radio.

• You have to give Morecambe credit for the first half...we were not shite they just played much better. Booing at half time was pointless...they knew they were 2-0 down.

• edited October 2021

The commentary by @bluntphil noticeably went up a couple of levels in the 2nd half.

• What a wonderful game, credit to both teams for a very entertaining contest. Morecambe were excellent first half, we were even better second half. I wish there was a rule to stop people posting during the game as comments can be made to look so foolish when the game is over. Never write off our team, never.

• Couldn't disagree more, we were AWFUL first half and did none of the basics right - Ainsworth admitted as much in his post match interview. Morecambe were excellent - sharp, pacey, full of energy..everything we weren't.

An incredible turnaround in the second half. Hard to explain but massive kudos to all of the players.

• Just watched the reply, the Morecambe 3rd goal was a better strike than I realised at the time.

• After Morecambe’s third goal one of their players picked up the ball and hoofed it straight at a kid in a wheelchair whose mum didn’t look too pleased.

• Just can't see where the fouls are for in our 2nd and 3rd goals which morecambesaid there was.Taffers needs to be better on their 3rd goa but what a shot.

• Yes, just seen the 3rd goal on Twitter filmed from behind the goal. Taf nowhere near it. Seems to come of the Morecambe defender’s head but may have been heading in anyway so one for JJ I think.

• The booing at half time is understandable on one level as we stunk but I’m more of an eye roll and inner boo guy. So much was wrong. So so much. Vokes’s body language was terrible and not short of worrying. Then Orbita plays up top with him and everything clicks. I was sure Hanlan had come on as he looked such a threat in the air, but no it was our left back. The connection between Vokes and the midfield clicked and we were off and running.
    Their equaliser was as good as their first was poor. Defensively not a classic but a great finish.
    Our winner was just joy. JJ brilliant, Anis terrifying, Curtis was never gonna miss, everyone could see that.
    As good as Beany v Carlisle? Close. Certainly another stupid day to remember.

• Meant to mention this earlier - massive respect for Horgan for his goal. There’s been some mention this week here, and while I am sure he doesn’t read the forum, about him not yet scoring for us, and it was great to see him do just that.

I was crying out from the 1st minute for us to hit one from range in those conditions. So for him to have a pop given his scoring record puts him up a few more notches.

He gets some credit for getting it going