Skip to content

Match day thread: Morecambe

Comments

• Two goals from throw-ins today. I feel like they've become something of A Thing under Ainsworth?

• @drcongo said:
    After Morecambe’s third goal one of their players picked up the ball and hoofed it straight at a kid in a wheelchair whose mum didn’t look too pleased.

Noticed the kick into the stand (though not the unfortunate extra detail).
    I wondered if that was a response to one of our players doing very similar when we scored, booting it right off the pitch too.

Reminded me how one eyed we can be, as I didn't give it a second thought when we did it, but thought it was a scandal when they did it to waste time.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    The booing at half time is understandable on one level as we stunk but I’m more of an eye roll and inner boo guy. So much was wrong. So so much. Vokes’s body language was terrible and not short of worrying. Then Orbita plays up top with him and everything clicks. I was sure Hanlan had come on as he looked such a threat in the air, but no it was our left back. The connection between Vokes and the midfield clicked and we were off and running.
    Their equaliser was as good as their first was poor. Defensively not a classic but a great finish.
    Our winner was just joy. JJ brilliant, Anis terrifying, Curtis was never gonna miss, everyone could see that.
    As good as Beany v Carlisle? Close. Certainly another stupid day to remember.

Were we down to 10 in that classic Beany finish game? And scored 2 goals after 90?

If I'm remembering those details correctly, adding in Bean's total lack of ever having a goal threat, and it being a harder, more ridiculously superb finish, that just takes the dibs for me.

But today was supreme to say the least.

• @Malone said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    The booing at half time is understandable on one level as we stunk but I’m more of an eye roll and inner boo guy. So much was wrong. So so much. Vokes’s body language was terrible and not short of worrying. Then Orbita plays up top with him and everything clicks. I was sure Hanlan had come on as he looked such a threat in the air, but no it was our left back. The connection between Vokes and the midfield clicked and we were off and running.
    Their equaliser was as good as their first was poor. Defensively not a classic but a great finish.
    Our winner was just joy. JJ brilliant, Anis terrifying, Curtis was never gonna miss, everyone could see that.

Were we down to 10 in that classic Beany finish game? And scored 2 goals after 90?

If I'm remembering those details correctly, adding in Bean's total lack of ever having a goal threat, and it being a harder, more ridiculously superb finish, that just takes the dibs for me.

Down to 10 and missed a pen at 2-3

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

Yep, that definitely remains at the top of the list then!
    But today was special. On the least inspiring day of weather for a long time!

• I had to work today and didn't get into my car to put the radio on until just after the 2nd half started. I'd had a quick glance on my phone before tuning in and my heart sank web I saw we were 2 nill down. I contemplated not even listening to the second half as I was feeling dejected. However! Wow! Wow wow! Am I glad I did! I drove from loudwater back home to chinnor with a brief stop in stokenchurch to catch my breath. When the winner went in I had to pull over and I went crazy!!!! I've never lost it like that when I'm not actually at the game. I think Phil catchpole might have a sore throat in the morning too!!!!
    Epic result, epic team, epic management, epic owners, epic fans. Have a great weekend everyone!!!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

Wasn't it Beanys 100th game too?

• I have no idea what it’s like to follow another team but I can’t imagine many clubs have had a decade like us.

• Morecambe manager is gloomy tonight, and rightly so.
    Says it should have been 4-0 at half time.

• @Malone said:
    Morecambe manager is gloomy tonight, and rightly so.
    Says it should have been 4-0 at half time.

He’s not wrong. But the second half we destroyed them so ?‍♂️

• @prufrock_91 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

Wasn't it Beanys 100th game too?

100-and-something, yeah!

• Absolute poppadom-wrist stuff from their 'keeper for Horgan's goal - but maybe that's all he needed to go on a bit of a run! We shall see...

• @drcongo said:
    After Morecambe’s third goal one of their players picked up the ball and hoofed it straight at a kid in a wheelchair whose mum didn’t look too pleased.

After the fourth goal JJ collects the ball and takes it over to the celebrating players. He really is switched on.

• A quite incredible game. Certainly didn't see that scoreline at half time. At that stage I'd have been delighted with a draw.

For all the talk of tactical changes, the players were much improved in the 2nd half. Vokes in particular had an exceptional half after a rather lacklustre 1st period.

That was an excellent win against a good team. People will say it was only Morecambe, but I thought they played very well. Even in the 2nd half when we were much improved, they still threatened on the break. Probably the result was very harsh on them, certainly I wouldn't have begrudged them a draw. I was of course delighted to see Thompson pop up with that very well taken winner.

Great way to round off the day with the Beer and music festival at High Wycombe CC! Great selection of beer and very good live music.

• I love my team. Okay thought Vokes was outstanding - In both halves

• I thought Vokes was on the end of everything first half but the players around him were not on the pace. First Morecambe goal was lucky and mistake from Stockdale...second one was a brilliant move stretching our defence. So for me we were not bad but outplayed by a good team. Same players in the second half picked it up and put it right. Vokes and Horgan both questioned on here this week (and after the first half!) and answered their critics but who would have expected Thommo to clinch it?. I don't think we're shite when we lose but its hard not to think we're brilliant after a win game like that.

• My first game since pre-covid. I had a lump in my throat when the players came out. Now I can't sleep because I'm still buzzing. I think this is the best Wycombe side I've seen play live.

A few thoughts

• Vokes second half was fantastic. He will have got a lot of confidence from that.
    • Morecambe pressed us out of the game first half, but couldn't keep that intensity up.
    • The first ~6mins of the second half were incredible
    • The new burgers are the best burgers I've ever had
    • Scowen looked short on confidence, give him a chant next game. And then another one.
    • Hanlan is some player, what were BRFC thinking?!
    • The change of system was inspired. They were getting 3 on 3 on the break frequently in the first half. That ended when we went to proper fullbacks to reduce the space wide. It also unlocked Jacobson. We have the best left back in the league, I prefer to see him play in that position.
  • Loved the starting line up, we thought this is our best 11 now. And then Morcambe were way better than we expected, scored two goals (not against the run of play). We expected subs at half time and instead the same 11 come out and play liquid football for the first 10 minutes of the second half. I think that might be the best ten minutes of Wycombe football that I have seen. At 3-2 we drop off a touch (of course) and they get back in…Mehmeti great run and Curtis great finish for the winner.

• Regarding the 1st Morecambe goal.I'm convinced that Stockdale called for the ball & came for it, however the sender headed it anyway, which explains why Stockdale was so out of position when the player side footed it into the net. Anyone else, hear him call for the ball?

• @glasshalffull said:
    What a wonderful game, credit to both teams for a very entertaining contest. Morecambe were excellent first half, we were even better second half. I wish there was a rule to stop people posting during the game as comments can be made to look so foolish when the game is over. Never write off our team, never.

I don’t know how people can post during the game at the speed I type by the time I looked up they’d be locking the gates

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Regarding the 1st Morecambe goal.I'm convinced that Stockdale called for the ball & came for it, however the sender headed it anyway, which explains why Stockdale was so out of position when the player side footed it into the net. Anyone else, hear him call for the ball?

Didn’t hear a call but that’s my guess of what happened. Even then, Stocko is too slow to re-position after Taf heads it clear, but oh well, lessons learnt no doubt and it didn’t cost us in the end.

• edited October 2021

A few thoughts:

1. The first half comments were all perfectly justified, even in hindsight. We were gosh-awful from front to back.

2. Obita was certainly playing up front alongside Vokes in the second half. It's hard to believe such a change made so great a difference to the shape of a game but it did. All the odder since, while he did perfectly well there, especially considering his inexperience at playing the position, he did nothing of special note. The extra outlet for Vokes's flick ons was one difference and the Morecambe defence seemed not to adjust to his presence very well. I found it super interesting to observe the effect a simple (albeit unprecedented - I mean, who shoves their left back up front when you've a full bench?) change of formation, without any change of personnel, could have.

3. Taff was certainly the nearest player to the ball on JJ's corner and seemed to me, standing ten metres away on the terrace with an unimpeded view, to head it in as it got close to the line. A fair-minded fellow on the Morecambe forum said he could see no foul on the keeper. Having watched the highlights and rewound a couple of times, I agree with him.

4. I've missed these 4-3 epics.

• Guess who took the family away for the weekend and missed the game?

It’s only Morecambe I thought, hardly going to be classic?

• Apparently the drummer had his sticks pinched? Anyone able to shed any light?

• For all the people saying it was definitely Taf's goal.... have a look at this,
    nowhere near it

• @HolmerBlue said:
    For all the people saying it was definitely Taf's goal.... have a look at this,
    nowhere near it

Looking for this supposed foul on their gk..can't see it myself.

• To be fair to tag, he doesn’t exactly celebrate like he scored it. Just jogged back.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    For all the people saying it was definitely Taf's goal.... have a look at this,
    nowhere near it

OG it is then!

• No foul on the keeper though

• From behind the goal it looked like their defender, under pressure from Taf, was the last to touch it. But it was already over the line.