Skip to content

Berks & Bucks Cup 2122

Comments

• @ChasHarps said:
    I regularly get the non league paper and the rise in gates in the last couple of years at all steps is quite staggering. People are clearly turning their back on the over priced sterile spectacle that is the EPL.

During the lockdown when 'elite' football stopped but lower non league continued I persuaded a group of friends - mostly Man Utd, Chelsea and Oxford Utd fans - to come and watch our local team and they loved it and have kept coming back - the idea that football could be fun again, you could have a beer at half time, that the action was so close up and it wasn't stupidly expensive were novel concepts even to a bunch of middle aged blokes.

Hopefully younger generations - priced out of top level football - will keep turning to their local teams.

• I am one of those converts who tried my local team a couple of seasons ago, was surprised at the standard, enjoyed that both teams seemingly went at each other without the excessive game management that the pro game entails, enjoyed parking at the ground and the relaxed atmosphere and chatting to opposing team managers, players and supporters. Enjoy paying £6 plus £2 50-50 and £1.50 for some unidentified warm brown liquid. I am now hooked.
    Just wish I hadn’t waited 25 years to give it a go. Heartily recommended for a spare weekend.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Is it wrong or weird how excited I am about this? Feels a bit like going back to our non league days when the B&B was a big deal.

Not at all, I feel a bit the same !

• I really think the club should be looking to win this every year, at least until Al Ahly's 36 Egyptian Cups is surpassed, then set their sights on Celtic's Scottish Cup record.

• Looks like trialists can play (not sure if there's any limit on how many). Dave Wates was down as one last time - anyone any idea who the other two were?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Looks like trialists can play (not sure if there's any limit on how many). Dave Wates was down as one last time - anyone any idea who the other two were?

Jermaine Defoe and The Player.

• It is pleasing that tonight's game will break the ground attendance record of 1382, set when Thame played OU in Jan 2011 for the ground opening.

• Was Paco Craig a trialist at the time of our last appearance?

• edited February 2022

@RomanHats said:
    Was Paco Craig a trialist at the time of our last appearance?

Doesn't look like it - down by name in the report from the Hungerford game. Very strange signing, he was!

• Looking at the photo gallery, a player with Alkan printed on the back. Erol Erdal Alkan appeard to be his name. Now with Finn Harps

• edited February 2022

Ah, that name vaguely rings a bell

• This will be a tough game. Several young players won’t have played in front of such a vocal partisan crowd, LC will come at us ‘all guns blazing’, they play as a team our lads have little recent game time, they are in form, they will be physical, the weather will be terrible. Has banana skin written all over it.

• edited February 2022

Yes, Erol Alkan played along with Paco Craig. Our analyst Josh Hart also came on as sub along with famed goalscorer David Wates.
    Alkan was thought by some to be the DJ Erol Alkan. Don't think he actually was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erol_Alkan
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erol_Erdal_Alkan

• edited February 2022

Team News
    The Chairboys are likely to name a changed side for the Cup clash against Long Crendon. Sam Grace will likely see a high number of his development side step out onto the pitch in Thame, with Olly Pendlebury, Adam Leathers, Tyla Dickinson, Andre Burley, JB Fischer, Jack Young and Ali Al-Hamadi all set to be involved.

I guess Leathers is available because Dulwich don’t have a game, but it’s interesting the article mentions Burley but not Max Ram, since they’re both at Hungerford.

• edited February 2022

Is SG taking charge tonight?

• Looking at the weather at the moment, is there any concern about the pitch tonight?

• @floyd said:

I guess Leathers is available because Dulwich don’t have a game, but it’s interesting the article mentions Burley but not Max Ram, since they’re both at Hungerford.

Dulwich are away to Welling tonight. Hard to see how Leathers or Burley can play - surely league games outrank the B&B

• Burley's at Hungerford who it turns out do have a game tonight at home to Dartford. So it's even more confusing that he's mentioned but Max Ram isn't it.

• As a ref, I would be planning a pitch inspection at about 5.30pm tonight..it’s looking very wet out there. But sometimes games are on in Thame when they are off in South Bucks the same day.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Simon Garner?

• @YorkshireBlue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Simon Garner?

Sally Gunnell

• @Steve_Peart said:
    Interesting split of ticket sales, 73.2% to Long Crendon.

How do they know this? I don't think I had to specify, or have I bought a home ticket by mistake? Is it even segregated?

• Steve Gibson

• Serge Gainsbourg

• Nick Freeman.

• Steve Guppy

• Silicon Graphics

• @peterparrotface said:
    Serge Gainsbourg

That's what I thought, but he would be both pissed and dead...

• And probably attempting to shag someone in the crowd.