Skip to content

Berks & Bucks Cup 2122

Comments

• Stato question. I’d be interested to know what is the smallest club we have ever played a competitive fixture against? Definition of ‘smallest’ I’ll leave open to respondents.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Stato question. I’d be interested to know what is the smallest club we have ever played a competitive fixture against? Definition of ‘smallest’ I’ll leave open to respondents.

Great question. How big was Evenwood when we played them in the FAAC? I’ve always pictured it as a tiny village.

• Rivet Sports? Basically a works team

• They were Evenwood Town, but calling the place a town was definitely stretching it a bit. From what I remember, a place about the size of, say, Winchmore Hill or Lacey Green, with a coking plant adjacent to the ground. The ground was very basic as well, just one very small stand I think, and I don't remember much in the way of terracing.
    Having said that, they were in the Northern League, the main amateur league in the North of England, so they were in with the likes of Blyth Spartans and Bishop Auckland. We did beat them 3-0 though, before losing to Blyth in the next round.
    Smallest club? Plenty of very small ones in the amateur and non-league era, in the League era the smallest ones have been in the B & B, but of course that's no longer regarded as a first-team competition.
    One interesting one is probably Oldbury United, a small Midlands outfit who we played in the 3rd round of the Amateur Cup in 1971. We beat them 4-0 at Loakes Park in front of over 7,000, probably 100 times their normal home crowd at the time.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Stato question. I’d be interested to know what is the smallest club we have ever played a competitive fixture against? Definition of ‘smallest’ I’ll leave open to respondents.

MK Dons

• In the Football League era, not including the B & B, has to be some early round FA Cup opponents. Coalville Town? Eastwood Town? (They beat us of course).

• Talking of works teams, Frickley Athletic - who we played in the Conference in the mid-80s - was basically a colliery team based in the small town of South Elmsall, West Yorkshire.

• We played Winslow United in the B&B in 86/87, and narrowly got through. We promptly signed their full back Graham Freshwater. But he only made it as far as our Capital lge side.

• Forest Green Rovers might count if you're talking home 'town' population - Nailsworth is just over 5,500.

• This discussion reminds me of the occasion we played Dunstable Town, away in the FAC3Q 1970/71.
    In an era when we'd regularly take several coach loads of supporters to away games - not so many went in their own cars back then - the comment in the match day programme that "Should a replay be necessary, a coach may be leaving at ..." struck a much younger me as very humourous.
    We won 4-0 so there was no replay.

• My abiding memory of that match at Dunstable was when we scored the first goal early on in the game the ball rolled out of the unsecured netting. Their goalkeeper cannily whipped round the back of the goal pick the ball up and placed it for a goal kick. The referee was not fooled.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Talking of works teams, Frickley Athletic - who we played in the Conference in the mid-80s - was basically a colliery team based in the small town of South Elmsall, West Yorkshire.

They had a coal fire lit in the boardroom.

• @floyd said:
    Long Crendon has sold over 600 tickets already.

Just bought ours to be on the safe side. Really looking forward to it.

• Long Crendon drew 3-3 with Winslow United at home tonight in the league, after leading 3-1.

High flying United, who have only dropped 10 points out of 69, went down to ten when their best player was sent off on the stroke of half-time, with Crendon leading 2-1. Two goals in the last eight minutes secured a point.

I saw Long Crendon lose 1-0 at Buckingham Athletic on 3 Jan, not a great spectacle on a pitch with overlong grass, with little between the sides. I think we will find our opponents to be highly motivated, it will be a difficult game.

Anyone in the Oxford area wanting a game on Saturday, can see Long Crendon host Northampton Sileby Rangers in the league, at Oxford City.

• Are Long Crendon laying on any fireworks?

• Looks like the biggest crowd Wanderers will play in front off away from Home in the B&B, outside of a neutral semi or final for many a year.
    There was 1200 at Chesham in 1990, 1600 at the Meadow in 76 and 1750 there in 74.
    2000 at Hazells in 1962.

• Long Crendon beat Northampton Sileby Rangers yesterday at Oxford City, attendance 39. Nathan Simms put Crendon ahead on 56 minutes, Rangers equalised on 66 and Christian Warwick scored the winner on 74. That win moves them up to fourth place.

Long Crendon's record this calendar year is LWWWDW. Top scorers are James Hawkes (14) and Oli Lethbridge (12). Their next game is against the Chairboys.

• Sales are over 1050 now, absolutely fantastic for LC to get a crowd like that

• Wonder how many of these might be PNL supporters hoping to see us step on a slippery banana.

• Sales are up to 1200 now for this game.

Fantastic support from Wycombe fans and Bucks/Oxon border locals

• I presume this isn't going to be on WWTV?

• @drcongo said:
    I presume this isn't going to be on WWTV?

What? No WWTV outside broadcast unit? ?

• @ValleyWanderer said:

@drcongo said:

I will be contacting BBC Radio Oxford to see if they will be covering the biggest game in the county that night?

• @ValleyWanderer said:

@drcongo said:

Disgraceful! What am I not paying my subs for?

• We are coming up from the South Coast for this game not only to see our development and fringe players but to support Long Crendon. We love these sorts of games, should be a great evening!!

• I trust you will be wearing your half and half scarf @MBS!

• No Mr Mooneyman still to support the Blues but I meant it’s nice to help Long Crendon in their finest hour. I still shudder remembering Basingstoke Town but the one stand out on that night was unearthing Sergio Torres.

• @MBS Plenty of stand outs that night, we won 7-2 when we discovered Sergio. That was only a friendly, mind you.
    Guess you're shuddering about the memory of losing to Basingstoke in the FA Cup some years before! Our first experience of being giant-killed as a League club.

• Newbury Wanderer…you’re right of course, memory going downhill in old age.? I think we got beat on penalties in that cup game.