Skip to content

Berks & Bucks Cup 2122

Comments

• The thing is that the development squad should be perfect for the B&B but with so many loaned out the timing doesn’t work. I’m not sure how we got away with so many trialists though.

Our lack of interest for all cup football in recent seasons has annoyed me. Especially if you listen to the club interviews pre match. Not sure I can begrudge Ascot United last night though. Proves a team beats individuals more often than not.

• I’m with you on this @Right_in_the_Middle

We have a very proud and recent history in all the cup competitions save the pizza cup. I was encouraged by the words before the B&B match but the reality panned out rather differently. See also recent FA Cup fixtures.

• Of course, if they’d done that @perfidious_albion I suspect far fewer would have attended and the gripes would have preceded the match.

I agree with all the comments above about the proud history of Wycombe’s participation in the competition and, however diluted the interest has become for a decade or two, it’s a definite plus that we are having a positive impact on one or two small clubs locally.

• If WW want someone to take throws like this, it would be relatively easy to get a throwing coach in for a session or two. They would be able to identify someone who has the potential pretty quick.

• @micra said:
    Of course, if they’d done that @perfidious_albion I suspect far fewer would have attended and the gripes would have preceded the match.

Not sure I get your point? The promise of a Bayo cameo etc would be more attractive to home and away fans than A Trialist, his cousin A Trialist and their distant relative A Trialist!

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Back to the main thread.
    If the club were taking the B&B seriously and with10 days till the next league game then why not select as many development squad members as were fit and their loan contract permitted, along with the ‘fringe ‘ first team squad. If that is what the club actually did then the error of judgement was the remaining places, these should have been filled with current first team (inc the bench). Only when we would go 3 up then pull the starters expected to play vs Donny. Yes that exposes us to injury but over a weeks recovery time makes it no worse than any full contact training session. And would have shown more respect to the competition and Ascot and their fans and arguably even attending Chairfolk .
    Playing trialists means learning names never mind playing style or set moves, massive distractions. Was never going to work vs a fired up non league outfit playing for their lives to a packed home crowd.
    Oh and JJ, Bayo, Anis etc know how to take a pen.
    Don’t mean to sound bitter just the mixed message of claimed seriousness vs the reality grates, we’re not stupid the club should haves called it how it is.

Sorry, we were never ever going to play any number of people near the first team, given our position in the league.

We haven’t disrespected the competition at all this year, disrespecting it would be choosing not to participate (as we’ve been guilty of recently, but probably understandably given the lack of a reserve team in previous years)

We advertised the games across our media channels, going a long way to help Ascot and Long Crendon to achieve massive attendances and hopefully a few long term fans.

Our manager along with Dobbo and Blooms attended the games personally (even though it was a reserve game for us), and spent extensive time with the manager, officials and players from the opposition.

We donated our share of the gate receipts to Long Crendon, a cracking gesture for them financially.

Moaning about disrespect because JJ and Bayo didn’t play is ridiculous.

I think we’ve conducted ourselves exemplarily.

• Didn't Martin O'Neill play Paul Hyde up front in a B&B match once?

• At least we are entering a team in the B&B. I can remember in my younger days Reading would rarely, if ever, enter a team.
    Hence it was often either ourselves or Slough who would win having at some point played each other.

• @Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@AlanCecil said:
    Lost 3-1 on pens after the 0-0 draw with Ascot.
    Quite a frenetic game with some desperate last gasp defending at both ends.
    On another occasion even more bookings might have been handed out and maybe even a red card.
    Young put his pen wide, Grimmer's was saved, Wakely scored his but Burley blasted high and wide. Pryzbek was booked for timewasting during the shoot out.

Nice set up at Ascot United who play in the Cherry Red Records Combined Counties League Premier Division North - a title than rolls off the tongue.

We now have bigger fish to fry in League One.

Time wasting in a shoot out?!? That's a new one on me!

Do you not remember Yves in goal for us?
    He absolutely took the pee scandalously in a pen shoot out for us once, messing about pretending he couldn't go in goal until he'd found a replacement hairband!

I suspect the ref didn't want to get accused of anything untoward, so just allowed him to waste ludicrous amount of time strutting around.

I do remember this but it's not "time wasting". What benefit is there to time wasting in a shoot out. It will go on as long as it needs to.

Probably more like unsporting behaviour.

• Was anyone else at the 1999 semi final against Chesham? It was just before the incredible run of form began and we played the entire first team other than Westhead going in goal rather than Taylor. We won 4-0, and I remember Dave Carroll scoring a couple. It was definitely the most seriously I have ever seen us take the competition.

Then we played Maidenhead in the final only a few days before the Lincoln game and played thr reserves, losing 4-1.

I have always wondered though why Sanchez played the first team in the semi. Was he just so desperate to get the first teamers some confidence that he thought Chesham would be the perfect opponents? The Generals had a decent side that season and finished top 6 in the Isthmian League I think.

• I do remember the Maidenhead final.

• @perfidious_albion said:

@micra said:
    Of course, if they’d done that @perfidious_albion I suspect far fewer would have attended and the gripes would have preceded the match.

Not sure I get your point? The promise of a Bayo cameo etc would be more attractive to home and away fans than A Trialist, his cousin A Trialist and their distant relative A Trialist!

I was referring to your post headed “Back to the main thread. The last sentence where you said the club should have called it as it was.

Misunderstandings arise because by the time I’ve laboriously tapped out my comments several other sets of comments have often been posted in the meantime.

Hope that clarifies it.

• Drat! Not sure how half of my reply found its way into the shaded area. Thought it was only @glasshalffull who had that knack!

• @eric_plant said:
    Didn't Martin O'Neill play Paul Hyde up front in a B&B match once?

Against Marlow at home, 93-94, he came on as sub for Alec Norman and played up front for the final 15 minutes of extra time. Marlow won 3-1.

• That's the one. I don't think Martin O'Neill ever really liked the B&B but his dislike of it was cemented when Keith Ryan injured himself against Chalfont St Peter whilst he was in the absolute form of his life.

I often wonder what would have happened that season if Ryan and DeSouza had stayed fit, and I usually conclude that we would have got promotion.

Ryan was out for about a year but what a career he went on to have after that.

• Winning the B & B was St. Martin's first ever managerial trophy win, nothing won at Grantham and Shepshed as far as I can see.

I hope he looks back on the competition with some fondness.

• Ok it’s a pretty meaningless cup in the scheme of things it appears to the club but how do we lose to a ninth tier team when we include 6 players with league experience. Doesn’t say much about the trialists.

• Rather enjoyed my county cup game last night between Tavi and Exeter Academy. Exeter won 4-2. A couple of “worldie” goals by the kids - one who curled in an unstoppable free kick from 25 yards hasn’t done his GCEs yet…. The level of talent shown by England’s youngsters is a joy to behold and I suspect one or two of those kids will go on to have high level careers. Such a shame that Woodward was forced/chose to close ours down. Almost impossible I would have though to revive it.

• So it was disrespectful that we did not enter for so long...now it's disrespectful that we did enter but did not play a strong enough team whilst also remembering what a bugger it was when a major player was injured in a B&B game when the team were pushing for promotion?

• edited March 2022

I thought we played exactly the right balance of fringe players and trailists. After all playing trials in a competitive environment will obviously give the management whether any of them are any good Something friendlies don’t quite do Two brilliant nights of helping local clubs in this years B and B. They were very up for it Tuesday so no surprise they won against a team that was basically introducing themselves to each other during the game. Probably didn’t help with our team passing that we were ridiculously wearing those gold shirts. !

• @Mr67 said:
    After all playing trials in a competitive environment will obviously give the management of winter is the weather there any good

Always fun to do a bit of predictive text detective work.

I have translated
    _"will obviously give the management of winter is the weather there any good" _
    to "will obviously give the management XXXX whether they're any good " but can't work out winter. Probably obvious but could you sate my curiosity.

• Whoops. That will teach me to talk into the phone and then not read what it’s printed !

Very well translated Dev. Oh God senility is creeping in I can’t work out what I meant either!

• I’ve done an amendment which just might make some sense this time (no guarantees though)

• I'm finding it very hard to get even slightly annoyed about losing to Ascot United.

But then this post Covid world is clearly much more angry so maybe I need to get with it.

Grrrr Ascot

• A really odd thing happened at the Ascot game Right in the Middle. They had worked so hard to put this on, with scores of volunteers helping out. The welcome we received was brilliant and you really sense how much it meant to them as a club to get to the final, and I recalled the numerous times we had been in that sort of position as a club. As the penalties were being taken I was actually hoping that they would win!! Pretty bizarre I know.

• MBSMBS
    edited March 2022

A really odd thing happened at Ascot. Their club had worked so hard to put this on, with scores of volunteers helping out, from parking to catering to stewarding, it was brilliantly organised. The game obviously meant a great deal more to Ascot to reach the final rather than us, and it reminded me a lot of our giant killing days over the years. And as the penalties were being taken I secretly hoped that they would win it. Pretty bizarre I know, especially as we had a long drive to watch the game. Umm and I dont know how to delete a repeat post!!

• I think the club did a classy job in these ties of providing decent opposition and of helping to raise the profile and gates of some of our smaller neighbours.

• You only have to look at some of the other games featuring the professional sides. Chesham v Reading at the Meadow was one of their smallest crowds of the season, and Reading brought along at most about 10 fans.

Most of our development squad are currently on loan in the top 2 divisions of non-league and many had important mid-week league fixtures, so it's no surprise our team was filled with trialists.

• @Otter87 said:
    Do we have any idea who the Trialists were? Did any of them look like they had some potential?

Think number 41 may have been Jess Olukolu - Basildon United, Romford, Tilbury.
    Looked quite good, early long-range shot over the bar (thought it was saved, might have been wrong).

https://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/gallery/sport/175795/yellamen-humble-wycombe-wanderers-in-berks-bucks-senior-cup-semi-final.html

The PA announcer actually gave out all the names of our trialists when he did the team run-down, but I couldn't hear them very well.

• The Bucks Free Press is delighting today in sensationalising the defeat of a makeshift assembly of players, most of whom had probably barely been introduced to each other before kickoff. (And I don’t mean whilst stripped off in the changing room.)

The back page report on Tuesday’s match, gleefully headlined “Wycombe knocked out by Ascot United”, contains a mixture of unintentionally amusing statements, exaggerated descriptions of the status of players as first teamers, all but one of whom (Jack Grimmer) have either not played at all in the first team (Adam Przybek) or on just a few occasions. Then the writer (James Richings) goes on to refer to “Other notable names included the likes of Jack Young, Jack Wakely and Andrew Burley…..”.
    Later, we have “The first period petered out with Wycombe resulting (sic) in long range efforts.” Resorting to long range efforts perhaps?

Elsewhere on the back page I was tickled to see Tjay De Barr described as a Gilbertian. I know he’s a Gibraltarian but had no idea he was into operettas. And putting serious injury in inverted commas (whilst he was on loan at Eastleigh) seems to cast doubt on the veracity of the description. Rehibilation with the Chairboys is an interesting ‘take’ on the way Tjay is being looked after following his return to Adams Park.

And finally…… Apparently Gareth Ainsworth has no worries that the break for the Chairboys next week could impact their recent good run.