Skip to content

Berks & Bucks Cup 2122

Comments

• @Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@AlanCecil said:
    Lost 3-1 on pens after the 0-0 draw with Ascot.
    Quite a frenetic game with some desperate last gasp defending at both ends.
    On another occasion even more bookings might have been handed out and maybe even a red card.
    Young put his pen wide, Grimmer's was saved, Wakely scored his but Burley blasted high and wide. Pryzbek was booked for timewasting during the shoot out.

Nice set up at Ascot United who play in the Cherry Red Records Combined Counties League Premier Division North - a title than rolls off the tongue.

We now have bigger fish to fry in League One.

Time wasting in a shoot out?!? That's a new one on me!

Do you not remember Yves in goal for us?
    He absolutely took the pee scandalously in a pen shoot out for us once, messing about pretending he couldn't go in goal until he'd found a replacement hairband!

I suspect the ref didn't want to get accused of anything untoward, so just allowed him to waste ludicrous amount of time strutting around.

Ffs, got to erase that memory all over again now

• Participation in the B&B is one of the many things that makes Wycombe Wanderers special.

We have a long, proud non league heritage, and included in that is being record winners of the B&B. Not only is it a connection to our roots but it's also a great way to invest in the local non-league scene. I'd imagine the games against us will live long in the memories of Long Crendon and Ascot.

Of course we must progress and continue to progress, but not at the cost of our identity. We mustn't start behaving like a generic football league club, because we're not.

• Pretty sure Long Crendon and Ascot will have been absolutely delighted by the exposure this competition has given them and the revenue they have earned. If they can persuade just 5% of the 1200 or so people to come back again for league games, that would increase their avg league attendance by perhaps 50%.

I should think they would totally understand that the WWFC team that turns up is going to be very different to that that will play in league games. My local team (of Ascot level) is hosting Exeter this evening. I am not expecting to recognise any of the players but who knows I might see tonight the next Ollie Wadkins of a few years time.

• I am a little surprised that any competition would allow players to remain anonymous to anyone apart from the competition administrators.

Were Long Crendon and Ascot aware of the identities of the triallists? Knowing the identity of opponents is a pretty basic requirement. Anonymity is fair enough in a friendly.

• edited March 2022

I wouldn't have thought Long Crendon or Ascot would remotely care, @Steve_Peart

• Do we have any idea who the Trialists were? Did any of them look like they had some potential?

• @Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@AlanCecil said:
    Lost 3-1 on pens after the 0-0 draw with Ascot.
    Quite a frenetic game with some desperate last gasp defending at both ends.
    On another occasion even more bookings might have been handed out and maybe even a red card.
    Young put his pen wide, Grimmer's was saved, Wakely scored his but Burley blasted high and wide. Pryzbek was booked for timewasting during the shoot out.

Nice set up at Ascot United who play in the Cherry Red Records Combined Counties League Premier Division North - a title than rolls off the tongue.

We now have bigger fish to fry in League One.

Time wasting in a shoot out?!? That's a new one on me!

Do you not remember Yves in goal for us?
    He absolutely took the pee scandalously in a pen shoot out for us once, messing about pretending he couldn't go in goal until he'd found a replacement hairband!

I suspect the ref didn't want to get accused of anything untoward, so just allowed him to waste ludicrous amount of time strutting around.

Believe that was against Northampton if my memory serves me correctly. It was so blatant that even I was embarrassed and wishing he would get a move on. Wasn't that the night that Scott Kashket chipped one very slowly down the middle?

• @floyd said:
    Participation in the B&B is one of the many things that makes Wycombe Wanderers special.

We have a long, proud non league heritage, and included in that is being record winners of the B&B. Not only is it a connection to our roots but it's also a great way to invest in the local non-league scene. I'd imagine the games against us will live long in the memories of Long Crendon and Ascot.

Of course we must progress and continue to progress, but not at the cost of our identity. We mustn't start behaving like a generic football league club, because we're not.

Yeah, I guess it's community outreach - which is important, and we can do it without jeopardising our season, so everyone's a winner!

• Don't have that much of an issue with trialists. We don't know if they are players that are currently bouncing around the lower leagues or if they are players that have already been told that they won't be offered terms with their current clubs.
    Already our development system has paid dividends although I find the retain / release numbers pretty tragic. A lad who thought he had the world at his feet at Chelsea gets bounced through Wycombe without getting an afternoon on the bench must be heartbreaking.

• ‘World at his feet at Chelsea’ isn’t really how it works. Elite clubs have identified their one or two potential young stars as early as aged ten. The other kids are there to surround them and give them a team environment to thrive in, the club knowing that they are all ‘fodder’. Yes tragic is the word but that is the system, it’s just a shame that kids and their parents are fed a line.

• It’s exactly how it works from the player’s perspective tho isn’t it?

• edited March 2022

@micra said:
    A wealth of possible meanings in ‘untoward’ @Malone.

Add the one you fancy, and apply it ;)

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@HomerLone said:
    I could have done with hearing a little (lot) less of the C... and W..... words from their yoof though, they were clearly not a product of the many local private & public schools.

Do posh people not swear?

In my visits to Henley Regatta, Lords and Twickenham I'd certainly never noticed this level of swearing aimed at competing sportsmen, so had assumed they don't.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    ‘World at his feet at Chelsea’ isn’t really how it works. Elite clubs have identified their one or two potential young stars as early as aged ten. The other kids are there to surround them and give them a team environment to thrive in, the club knowing that they are all ‘fodder’. Yes tragic is the word but that is the system, it’s just a shame that kids and their parents are fed a line.

This is absolutely 100% correct, sadly. Each academy age group needs a squad of 16-18 players but only one or two in each year will make professional at any level. Although a player may come through and up the pecking order as he or she develops physically.

• Now imagining a regatta where the crowd engage in football-type chants. 'YOU'RE NOT SINKING ANYMORE!' etc etc...

• @perfidious_albion said:
    ‘World at his feet at Chelsea’ isn’t really how it works. Elite clubs have identified their one or two potential young stars as early as aged ten. The other kids are there to surround them and give them a team environment to thrive in, the club knowing that they are all ‘fodder’. Yes tragic is the word but that is the system, it’s just a shame that kids and their parents are fed a line.

I’m sure that there are hundreds of kids in West London right now who (along with their parents) believe they are set for life when the reality is pub anecdote in a few years time at best.

See Netflix’s Last Chance U for the grim reality of a promised way out of poverty v reality of a sporting pyramid.

• Totally agree. I was at the game yesterday and didn’t have an issue at all with the side that we put out. You’ve got to see players in a competitive environment in order to make a judgment. How to games in this competition this year have been extremely beneficial to all concerned. Leaving fairly close to ascot ground I will certainly make further visits there when I am able

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Now imagining a regatta where the crowd engage in football-type chants. 'YOU'RE NOT SINKING ANYMORE!' etc etc...

Happy with that.
    Probably less happy if they decide to add a "you C..t" to the end or "W....r W.....r" to the beginning, which seemed to be the method adopted by the behind the goal crowd last night.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Now imagining a regatta where the crowd engage in football-type chants. 'YOU'RE NOT SINKING ANYMORE!' etc etc...

We can see you leaking out

• You’re going home in a water ambulance

• Their defender (no.6 George Lock I think) could launch a throw-in like no-one I ever seen before. Incredible.

• We're gonna oar in a minute

• I agree @perfidious_albion, playing trialists is disrespectful to the competition.

• Haha just refreshed the page and seen that topic has somewhat sailed down the river!

• You could have come in a kayak, come in a kayak

• ‘Your just a posh town near Marlow’

• I'm still sort of trying to work out, how a team including Grimmer, Forino, Kaikai and Young couldn't beat Ascot ? Yes I get that upsets happen, but really? Funny how as soon as Gareth announces that they are taking it as serious as the fans do, we lose.

Must admit I do find it a bit strange how so many trialists can take part, as as opposition I'd find it a little bit of an insult... though that's just me, I'm sure they don't as both the teams we've played have had record attendances so made money.

• Back to the main thread.
    If the club were taking the B&B seriously and with10 days till the next league game then why not select as many development squad members as were fit and their loan contract permitted, along with the ‘fringe ‘ first team squad. If that is what the club actually did then the error of judgement was the remaining places, these should have been filled with current first team (inc the bench). Only when we would go 3 up then pull the starters expected to play vs Donny. Yes that exposes us to injury but over a weeks recovery time makes it no worse than any full contact training session. And would have shown more respect to the competition and Ascot and their fans and arguably even attending Chairfolk .
    Playing trialists means learning names never mind playing style or set moves, massive distractions. Was never going to work vs a fired up non league outfit playing for their lives to a packed home crowd.
    Oh and JJ, Bayo, Anis etc know how to take a pen.
    Don’t mean to sound bitter just the mixed message of claimed seriousness vs the reality grates, we’re not stupid the club should haves called it how it is.

• @perfidious_albion even I don’t think we should have risked starters last night! It would have been nice to see our loanees involved instead of trialists, but that’s really up to their loan clubs.