Skip to content

Berks & Bucks Cup 2122

Comments

• Don't, that's how we ended up signing Richard Harris

• Finished 0-0 and gone to penalties.

• 4 out of the first 5 pens missed

• Yeah. That’s not good. Professional footballers etc etc

• Why does my phone auto correct always replace Berks with Beeks ?

• We can concentrate on the league now !! Plymouth now look as they are close to securing a playoff place. We now may only be fighting for one of two spots. However get in and it’s anybody’s to get promoted.

• Plymouth have 7 games left - 6 of them against teams in the top 9.

• The importance of Plymouth and Sheff Wed at home jsut increased ten fold. Its in our own hands.

• Lost 3-1 on pens after the 0-0 draw with Ascot.
    Quite a frenetic game with some desperate last gasp defending at both ends.
    On another occasion even more bookings might have been handed out and maybe even a red card.
    Young put his pen wide, Grimmer's was saved, Wakely scored his but Burley blasted high and wide. Pryzbek was booked for timewasting during the shoot out.

Nice set up at Ascot United who play in the Cherry Red Records Combined Counties League Premier Division North - a title than rolls off the tongue.

We now have bigger fish to fry in League One.

• I agree with @davecz - Plymouth are so far ahead of us that if we overhaul them, we are probably overhauling other teams anyway. It's much more likely 4 into 2 between Oxford, Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday and ourselves. Sunderland have the easiest run-in (I think) on paper.

• Thoroughly deserved win for Ascot United, outplayed us in the first half but the second half constantly interrupted by stoppages and injuries. Young and Wakely stand out players for Wycombe. Brilliantly organised game by the hosts from the parking to the hospitality, very friendly and professional. Good luck to Ascot in the final…it obviously meant a lot to them.

• Well done to Ascot United indeed. I just hope nobody spotted that they weren’t playing Wycombe Wanderers!

• @Shev Sunderland still have to play Rotherham, Oxford and Plymouth

• Strange decision from the kit man. Yellow vs Gold? (Used to be a kitman so this bugs me)!

• @AlanCecil said:
    Lost 3-1 on pens after the 0-0 draw with Ascot.
    On another occasion even more bookings might have been handed out and maybe even a red card.
    Young put his pen wide, Grimmer's was saved, Wakely scored his but Burley blasted high and wide. Pryzbek was booked for timewasting during the shoot out.

Nice set up at Ascot United who play in the Cherry Red Records Combined Counties League Premier Division North - a title than rolls off the tongue.

Time wasting in a shoot out?!? That's a new one on me!

• Fair play to Ascot, total commitment and enthusiasm throughout the whole game, backed by a youthful vociferous crowd who went crazy and joyfully invaded the pitch when the winning penalty went in.
    We had a few good moments, one of the trialists had a good long-range attempt tipped over the bar early on, and Jack Young's free kick in the injury-interrupted second half was well saved, but the night definitely belonged to Ascot.
    The least said about the penalties, the better (apart from Jack Wakely's). Przybek earned himself an unnecessary yellow card for staying outside his goal and delaying an Ascot penalty.
    Two other things...
    I dislike the gold kit even more after tonight, we were almost invisible under the non-league standard floodlights, compared with Ascot's bright yellow and blue outfit.
    The burgers were very good, as good as if not better than the Hellfire ones at AP, but only £4.

• Let’s hope the B & B Cup Final can be staged at Adams Park on May Bank Holiday Monday. We may not be in it but I’m sure a lot of people would be behind Ascot United v Reading or the other lot.

• Was there a late goalkeeper change tonight?
    Dickinson named originally but Przybek actually played.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    @Shev Sunderland still have to play Rotherham, Oxford and Plymouth

True, but they are 8 points ahead - even if they win just 2 of their remaining 7 and draw one or two, they would be at 81-82 points.

I am not saying we can't overhaul them - just that it is a little academic, because we would overhaul other sides too with the amount of points it would likely take. I would be shocked if we finished in the playoffs with Plymouth out of the playoffs, basically.

And I am more than willing to be mocked for this later. Because we would be in the playoffs. And because Plymouth would be out of the playoffs.

• Totally agree with all that has been said. The organisation and set up at ascot last night was absolutely brilliant. Good luck to them in the final and generally. Excellent club.

I also like others take issue about us wearing the gold shirts. A totally bizarre decision when they play in yellow shirts. I wasn’t the only one who had difficulty picking out our players from their players under the low floodlights. A shame the referee didn’t make us change. Would be very interested to know what the club’s reason for wearing those shirts was. The obvious one would be there trying to flog replicas of, to me, a shirt that wouldn’t be out of place in the Alan Smith stripey quarter era.

• Plymouth playing again before our next match. Could be 11 pts shy of them by the time we play Doncaster... if they win on Saturday that would be 10 wins from 12.

However, if we win our next 3 very winnable games (which would give us a 6 wins in 8 record), and Plymouth start to stumble with their tough run-in, our Good Friday game could be an epic showdown...!

• Agree with the comments about the Ascot United set-up. Fantastic.

I could have done with hearing a little (lot) less of the C... and W..... words from their yoof though, they were clearly not a product of the many local private & public schools. Felt embarrassed for the families with young children who seemed to be dipping their toes in supporting a local team.
    The game apparently meant a lot more to Ascot Utd than it did to us.

Strange that I've never consider this as a local team to support on non AP Saturdays as it's less than 15 mins by car from home to the bar, and only a 1hr walk if I fancy more than one. I'll need to reconsider.
    Shame that they didn't seem to stock beers from the Ascot Brewery though.

• @HomerLone said:
    I could have done with hearing a little (lot) less of the C... and W..... words from their yoof though, they were clearly not a product of the many local private & public schools.

Do posh people not swear?

• I’ve always enjoyed our forreys into this competition. But, genuine question, I’d like to know what purpose the club feel it serves? Maybe a question for @bluntphil on RTB’s?

• is it to give the development squad competitive game time?
    • in which case why so few playing last night?
    • is it to trial potential new development squad members? (Seems a little disrespectful to the competition)
    • is it some kind of obligation to the county fa?
    • something obvious I haven’t been aware of?
      Just curious, anyone know more?
  • That has genuinely brought a tear to my eye.

What a kind, thoughtful thing to do

• @perfidious_albion said:
    I’ve always enjoyed our forreys into this competition. But, genuine question, I’d like to know what purpose the club feel it serves? Maybe a question for @bluntphil on RTB’s?

• is it to give the development squad competitive game time?
    • in which case why so few playing last night?
    • is it to trial potential new development squad members? (Seems a little disrespectful to the competition)
    • is it some kind of obligation to the county fa?
    • something obvious I haven’t been aware of?
      Just curious, anyone know more?

Interesting questions @perfidious_albion. I think a lot of supporters must be having similar thoughts.

I don’t know how large the development squad is currently but I’ve assumed, wrongly perhaps, that virtually all are out on loan. Using the competition to trial potential development squad members (if that is what they were) seems, at best, disrespectful. I’m sure clubs and their players who are competitive enough to reach the the semifinals would have been looking forward to competing against a more identifiable lineup. On the other hand, they must be delighted just to have reached the final.

Good luck to them.

• I wouldn't have been surprised if Bayo had made a cameo appearance for the last 5 minutes.
    Equally I can see reason why he didn't.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@AlanCecil said:
    Lost 3-1 on pens after the 0-0 draw with Ascot.

Time wasting in a shoot out?!? That's a new one on me!

Do you not remember Yves in goal for us?
    He absolutely took the pee scandalously in a pen shoot out for us once, messing about pretending he couldn't go in goal until he'd found a replacement hairband!

I suspect the ref didn't want to get accused of anything untoward, so just allowed him to waste ludicrous amount of time strutting around.

• A wealth of possible meanings in ‘untoward’ @Malone.