Skip to content

Match day thread: Wigan

15678911»

Comments

• Taffazolli is an enigma. High production value Instagram videos of intensive workout, diet, analytical sessions. And he looks as fit as Teranian butchers dog. Yet, since he joined what percentage of games has he been unavailable for? It’s high and I’m beginning to wonder if he is ever going to get an injury free run in the team.

• @ChasHarps I'm not sure I agree. Surely if we're playing 3 at the back, sometimes we will want to play 2 full backs in the wide positions and sometimes 2 big centre backs. Won't it depend on the opposition - whether we need more aerial cover or are facing a more nimble attack?

Obviously, this season we've had little choice and not really been able to go for the 2 centre backs option, but we used both options late last season and they were both successful to some degree.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Taffazolli is an enigma. High production value Instagram videos of intensive workout, diet, analytical sessions. And he looks as fit as Teranian butchers dog. Yet, since he joined what percentage of games has he been unavailable for? It’s high and I’m beginning to wonder if he is ever going to get an injury free run in the team.

Been here for 49 league games and been available for 25, so 51%.

• Thanks @ReturnToSenda 51% is more than I thought but still pretty poor. Wonder if Hull knew something?

• @glasshalffull said:

@Ed_ said:
    We have had an excellent start to the season so far, we haven’t played any sides who have not picked up wins and draws elsewhere, we have been on the road twice and we find outselves with seven points. Every game sees Vokes getting a little fitter and a little less ring rusty and key players a little closer to being available. 43 more point to safety …

Absolutely, and let’s not forget that the return of Tafazolli, McCarthy, Wheeler, Gape and Kashket will further strengthen the squad.

Like the positivity of ‘...will further strengthen the squad’ but at present only the return of McCarthy feels likely to be in the near future (although I thought Wheeler had been self-isolating for several weeks already so maybe there is some other issue) and Gape and Tafazolli seem to have been worryingly injury prone over the last year or so. Kashket? I’m sure we would all love to have some inkling of what’s occurring there!

• edited August 2021

Scotty has bleached his hair, which I guess is something.

• @micra You're quick! Corrected now...

• Not been accused of that recently @ReturnToSenda !

• Brings the hare and tortoise to mind!

• In one of his YouTube videos Tafazolli said it wasn't a serious injury and he should be back pretty soon within a couple of weeks. Reckon we'll see him back in the team before Wheeler

• @mooneyman said:
    Brings the hare and tortoise to mind!

Hare today horn tomorrow.

• @Croider said:
    In one of his YouTube videos Tafazolli said it wasn't a serious injury and he should be back pretty soon within a couple of weeks. Reckon we'll see him back in the team before Wheeler

Wheeler is out of isolation isn't he? A week or two to catch up on training and he's back.

• he said his isolation ended the day after Exeter.