Skip to content

Match day thread: Wigan

Comments

• Kaikai may not be comfortable in the position he's playing, but that's 2 crucial assists in the last 2 games. Great to have someone other than JJ who can take a quality corner.

• Just back, the beauty of the North West away games!

How we got in at half time level I don't know. When they finally we did score It could you wouldn't of been surprised if they got another couple, but we dug in and slowly worked our way into the game.

The changes helped and the more we pushed them back I fancied us to nick one. Delighted when we did and it was good to see the away end go crazy.

All in all great point tonight, shout out for Stockdale thought he was excellent tonight.

Couple of annoying things first the ref, seemed very picky tonight and just stopped the game at every opportunity. Fair play to the drummer who tries to get the atmosphere going but surely every song doesn't a need drum beat?

• @Wycombe85 said:
    Kaikai may not be comfortable in the position he's playing, but that's 2 crucial assists in the last 2 games. Great to have someone other than JJ who can take a quality corner.

That corner delivery for the goal was superb.

• Great point tonight, you've got to hang in there sometimes and nick what you can. Keeping going and getting that point at the end tells me we are well on the right track to achieve great things this season. It's exactly the sort of thing you need to do if you want to go up.

Roll on Saturday, I'm expecting a 6,000+ crowd and a superb atmosphere

• I’m a little surprised that people thought Horgan had a poor game. He provided energy and drive when he came on and I’d have him starting if fit.

A stop start game full of scrappy fouls and misplaced passes. It shows a lot of heart to get a point out of that, and Wigan have got to be disappointed.

7 from 9 isn’t a bad start at all!

• edited August 2021

Surely we've all seen loads of Wycombe performances like tonight. We're are not a silky passing side. We're not a club who spends fortunes on players.

What we are is a team who never gives up. Stays in games long enough to get a chance. It's never about individuals. It's the team. Never give up on them. They have all the qualities we need to be a major factor this season.

Proud of the team for getting a point tonight. Impressed with the supporters who travelled. Safe journeys back for all

• Surprised no one's commented on what the club tweeted after the goal ?

• terrific show of guts to get something out of that.

I was a bit disappointed in a few of Horgan's passes, but the rest of his game was impressive, I felt. It's so good to have a player who can steal a yard and cross with either foot and has that awarteness. And I'm not sure anybody consistently passed well tonight - even JJ and Anis had the odd shocker. But that really just fitted with my view that we're still looking a bit undercooked. It will come with another game or two, I'm sure.

Prior to the Sullay/Stewart show at the end, I thought that Anis looked most likely to be at the heart of any Chairboys goal. He really is a bit special. But I assume that when he hit that volley a bit tentatively from the McCleary chip, he was in two minds and wondering who to pass to.

• edited August 2021

So what about MOTM in such a lowkey performance? Stewart, surely? Put the odd foot wrong but in general held a creaking wall together and obviously scored the goal too.

Stockdale would be in it except I only remember a couple of actual saves - most of the time Wigan were kicking field goals.

• Probably Scowen MOTM for me. Stewart made some big mistakes that would’ve cost a goal most of the time on two separate occasions and was saved for their offside goal.

• Scowen or Stocko, who dug us out of a hole on a couple of occasions.

• Scowen for me too.

• I think another good thing to remember is that is the first time we have gone behind when playing away in front of a decent sized crowd for a very long time, so for me that was another great sign of character. Safe journey home to those fans who made the long trip tonight !

• Great result tonight. Pure Wycombe shithousery and how good is that to see. Bayo played a good cameo and created chances. Horgan looked very good off the bench and will probably start Saturday. Thomson will probably start ahead of Pendlebury.

Ref blew for everything and there seemed to be a lot of tackles/fouls in front of the dug outs, which slowed everything down.

Wigan pressed us really well front to back and we struggled with that reduced time on the ball and reduced options for the pass. Hence back to more long ball Wycombe.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Surprised no one's commented on what the club tweeted after the goal ?

Up the wyc?
    That'll have come from the top I expect.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Surprised no one's commented on what the club tweeted after the goal ?

Up the wyc?
    That'll have come from the top I expect.

I doubt Pete is telling them exact words to write if we score.

• ‘Up The WYC’ hated it when it first appeared, gaining traction, find myself using it, much like garlic bread “its the future”…..

• Oh and unlike most of us on here, the youth packing the terrace are the future and Up The Wyc is their sign off, so good luck to them #wearetheoldbucksboys

• After a night’s sleep it’s a good point. We played poorly at times / we were made to play poorly at times. Come Christmas we will know how good a point that was.

Mehmeti is trying so hard it’s having a negative effect on him and you could see he was beating himself up a bit. Needs to relax a bit and it will come.

• I really don't think Pete Couhig invented up the wyc. I'd heard it occasionally shouted before they took over, perhaps by a small group of people Pete met early on.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    I really don't think Pete Couhig invented up the wyc. I'd heard it occasionally shouted before they took over, perhaps by a small group of people Pete met early on.

I think you are correct.

• An ex work colleague of mine who followed Leeds around the country, and occasionally visited Loakes Park, always used to shout 'Up the Wyc' after we had a good result, always in a Strongbow induced haze.
    I believe High Wycombe Rugby club used to refer themselves as 'The Wycs', that is a good enough reason never to utter that slogan !!

• It's certainly no, "ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

I miss Towel Guy. I miss Eddie Monsoon.

• Just looking at the highlights, it seems as though Grimmer didn't have a great game and the shocking backpass could have cost us if Stockdale wasn't fully aware of the situation. Looks like Lavelle can't sign soon enough!

• He’s not signing is he?

• We have had an excellent start to the season so far, we haven’t played any sides who have not picked up wins and draws elsewhere, we have been on the road twice and we find outselves with seven points. Every game sees Vokes getting a little fitter and a little less ring rusty and key players a little closer to being available. 43 more point to safety …

• @Ed_ said:
    We have had an excellent start to the season so far, we haven’t played any sides who have not picked up wins and draws elsewhere, we have been on the road twice and we find outselves with seven points. Every game sees Vokes getting a little fitter and a little less ring rusty and key players a little closer to being available. 43 more point to safety …

Absolutely, and let’s not forget that the return of Tafazolli, McCarthy, Wheeler, Gape and Kashket will further strengthen the squad.

• Still failing to see how having another out-and-out CB in the back three would have massively improved the situation last night. To combat Wigan's aerial threat - Wyke is one of the best strikers in the air in the league - sure, but they'd still have been dragged out of position because of Kaikai's going walkabout.

• Kaikai is playing out of position, he’s a winger or a number 10. McCarthy would have played wing back if fit and a fit Tafazoll would probably have replaced Grimmer who I believe was also carrying a knock.

• It does seem strange that we have started the season, with only two recognised 1st team central defenders, 1 of whom is currently injured and has proven to be injury prone since arriving.
    Stewart always looks more composed alongside a CB that is dominant in the air.
    We're not gonna get away with our lack of height at the back, for much longer.