Skip to content

Match day thread: Wigan

Comments

• Scowen and Pendlebury helping out well at the back but we're certainly getting the luck tonight we didn't see much of last season.

• Half time cannot come soon enough.

• Grimmer really seems out of sorts tonight, thankfully Stocko has baile dhim out so far.

I reckon the problem is Kaikai is playing far too high and not wide enough which is forcing Grimmer out of position.

Thankfully that was chalked off for an offside, because frankly we couldnt have complained to have gone down there

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Grimmer and JJ looking like they're still in full-back mode, leaving Stewart as effectively a back 1 - and Wigan have sussed that right out with these balls slipped between the outside CBs and CB. Much more of a problem down our right.

Yep both playing so wide. Getting dragged out of position with decent Wigan movement. Would snap your hand off for a draw

• Good lord underweighted back passes to the keeper seems to be infectious

• We're going to need a goal...I cannot see this being a 0-0. Those inexperienced players who should have been rested seem to be doing okay.?

• Be happy if we can make it to half time level

• @jessvl1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Grimmer and JJ looking like they're still in full-back mode, leaving Stewart as effectively a back 1 - and Wigan have sussed that right out with these balls slipped between the outside CBs and CB. Much more of a problem down our right.

Yep both playing so wide. Getting dragged out of position with decent Wigan movement. Would snap your hand off for a draw

Wide and, more problematically, high.

• edited August 2021

I'd get Thompson on for Pendlebury. Preferably don't leave the gaps in the first place, but we've got no one more effective at plugging them. Pendles has had a decent half, but he's being asked too much of by those behind him.

• A draw will do here!

However, still equal after all those chances, who knows, we could pinch it.

• Kai kai looks uncomfortable to me. Not sure where he’s supposed to be - not really pressing their left back or tucking in to cover Grimmer. As a result Grimmer is getting pulled out of the back 3 and leaving us vulnerable.

Wigan should have had at least 2 goals. We’ve been extremely lucky.

I’d be tempted to change the shape to a 442. Stewart needs to keep Grimmer next to him and we’d be then able to double up defending the wings, where we’ve looked very exposed.

• Thats because Kaikai & Obita are also plying too far forward which is leaving gaping holes out wide for our defence & narrow midfield to try and cover. We really ne Thompson on for Pendlebury for the second half...

• Improved as the half went on, although we're very lucky not to be losing... look quite disorganised at the back. Anis and Gmac look dangerous just need the ball more.

• Im surprised at Obita as he has played thta position for a while, Kaikai is really struggling as a wing back

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    Thats because Kaikai & Obita are also plying too far forward which is leaving gaping holes out wide for our defence & narrow midfield to try and cover. We really ne Thompson on for Pendlebury for the second half...

Yes, exactly. We often find ourselves with 5 players pushed high and Wigan are just playing around us.

• Missing McCarthy.

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    Thats because Kaikai & Obita are also plying too far forward which is leaving gaping holes out wide for our defence & narrow midfield to try and cover. We really ne Thompson on for Pendlebury for the second half...

Rubbish, Pendlebury has been mopping up after people all over the place. They need to get some positional info into Grimmer and KaiKai or decide soon if it's not worth going the effort, if anything probably look at Burley to come on for one of Grimmer or KaiKai. Can't just drop back and invite them on though or we'll get overrun

• Half time thoughts (I'm at the game) - poor half and happy to be level. 2 or 3 sitters missed by Wigan and a marginal offside disallowed goal. Only real positive so far a great turn out in the away end

• I agree about Kaikai he does not seem comfortable in that position and possibly we're not getting the best out of him there. Wigan look a decent side if we get anything here it will be a good result.

• edited August 2021

Hopefully GA sees these issues at half time. The pitch looks pretty big compared to ours (someone will pipe up and prove me wrong) which I am sure does not help. We miss McCarthy sorely.

I feel bad for Kaikai, as clearly not comfortable, and I hope we get to see him in a more natural position as the season goes on.

• @Glenactico said:
    Kai kai looks uncomfortable to me. Not sure where he’s supposed to be - not really pressing their left back or tucking in to cover Grimmer. As a result Grimmer is getting pulled out of the back 3 and leaving us vulnerable.

I’d be tempted to change the shape to a 442. Stewart needs to keep Grimmer next to him and we’d be then able to double up defending the wings, where we’ve looked very exposed.

Only problem with going to four at the back is who partners Stewart?

• Kaikai didn't look comfortable on Saturday, he improved in the second half though.

• In fairness to Kaikai, it's not surprising he's not comfortable there.
    For starters, how many clubs play wingbacks? It's a really demanding role, and he came to us as an attacking midfielder/forward.

• Burley on for Kaikai and Grimmer moved up as wing back? I'll get me coat....

• @ReturnToSenda The option would be to put Burley on for Kaikai and revert to a back four with Grimmer at RB.

@StrongestTeam I wasn't suggesting Pendlebury had had a poor half but that Thompson is a more naturally defensively minded midfielder that would provide greater cover to the back 3

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Glenactico said:
    Kai kai looks uncomfortable to me. Not sure where he’s supposed to be - not really pressing their left back or tucking in to cover Grimmer. As a result Grimmer is getting pulled out of the back 3 and leaving us vulnerable.

Either JJ at centre half, Grimmer RB and Obita LB. Or Burley on.

I doubt we actually will change formation but we certainly need to figure out what Kai Kai and Obita are doing. They aren’t really impacting the game at all.

• Defensive issues aside, it was a very entertaining first half.

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    @ReturnToSenda The option would be to put Burley on for Kaikai and revert to a back four with Grimmer at RB.

@StrongestTeam I wasn't suggesting Pendlebury had had a poor half but that Thompson is a more naturally defensively minded midfielder that would provide greater cover to the back 3

Yeah, maybe but not certain how up to speed or fit he is, and wether he'd cover any more ground, there's a real danger here if we drop back too far.

• edited August 2021

@Glenactico said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Glenactico said:

Either JJ at centre half, Grimmer RB and Obita LB. Or Burley on.

I doubt we actually will change formation but we certainly need to figure out what Kai Kai and Obita are doing. They aren’t really impacting the game at all.

Didn't actually realise Burley was on the bench. Wouldn't want to see JJ at centre-back in a back four.

• We have risen our luck at times but also had a few chances ourselves. It does emphasise our need for more defensive recruits though. Kaikai is doing his best out of position but he really is learning that trade just yet. We also need more cover in midfield maybe Tommo on sooner rather than later.