Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• Let’s not forget that Anis is just 20 and only a year ago he was playing for Woodford Town. Last season he was holding his own in the Championship and the way he’s started this season he could be a shining star in League One. Yes, he needs to learn when it’s better to release the ball quickly, but that is something I’m sure our coaches can help him achieve. He’s a rare, exciting talent-the sort of player who gets you off your seat when he’s in possession. I am sure he’ll be allowed to develop at first team level where he’s already proved himself.

• @aloysius said:
    Some call it trolling, I like to call it tough love.

I want Mehmeti to be successful as the rest of you but until he learns it's a team game and not all about him, he won't be the player he could be. My fear is he's looking for a massive signing-on fee with a bigger club when his contract expires and thinks the best way to get that is to build a highlights reel of mazy dribbles into the box with Hollywood shots at the end.

Gareth is hopefully telling him that he'll be more in demand if he has a highlights reel of mazy dribbles into the box and brilliantly placed passes that result in goals, plus the odd few for himself from clever one-twos (for which he'd have to pass in the first place).

He's Gen Z, they're self-centred by nature, so I don't entirely blame him. I do worry that the Gasroom collectively is the sort of group that would fail to train a puppy out of pissing on the bed because it looks cute while doing it, though.

Some call it trolling, you call it tough love I call it bollocks

• edited August 2021

@Morris_Ital But it's articulate bollocks, let's be fair.

• The suggestion that any player would be thinking ‘I’ll take on a few more opponents because that will look good on my show reel and earn me a big signing on fee’ is one of the more bizarre theories I’ve come across.

• @aloysius said:
    He's Gen Z, they're self-centred by nature

Lol, the irony. And yet more nonsense.

• @aloysius said:

I want Mehmeti to be successful as the rest of you but until he learns it's a team game and not all about him, he won't be the player he could be. My fear is he's looking for a massive signing-on fee with a bigger club when his contract expires and thinks the best way to get that is to build a highlights reel of mazy dribbles into the box with Hollywood shots at the end.

Gareth is hopefully telling him that he'll be more in demand if he has a highlights reel of mazy dribbles into the box and brilliantly placed passes that result in goals, plus the odd few for himself from clever one-twos (for which he'd have to pass in the first place).

He's Gen Z, they're self-centred by nature, so I don't entirely blame him. I do worry that the Gasroom collectively is the sort of group that would fail to train a puppy out of pissing on the bed because it looks cute while doing it, though.

Wow. That is Olympic class leaping to conclusions. He took a shot when perhaps someone else was better placed to do so and it’s because he was selfishly thinking of himself, which is because of the generation he was born into.

With respect that is the biggest load of bollocks I’ve read on here since Richie’s greatest hits highlights reel was snapped up by Luton

• Sorry to change the subject for a moment but I found the stewards yesterday to be notably friendly and welcoming. Anyone else share my experience?

• @HCblue said:
    Sorry to change the subject for a moment but I found the stewards yesterday to be notably friendly and welcoming. Anyone else share my experience?

Wasn't there yesterday, but I do remember one a few years ago taking it in great spirit when being called 'a shit Peter Griffin!' by the Wycombe fans - so that doesn't surprise me.

• Peter Griffin? Family Guy?

• @HCblue said:
    Peter Griffin? Family Guy?

Indeed

• @HCblue said:
    Sorry to change the subject for a moment but I found the stewards yesterday to be notably friendly and welcoming. Anyone else share my experience?

Absolutely, and kudos to the steward stood at the entrance in particular telling people which end the drummer was standing so those who wanted to stand there could do so and vice versa. Unallocated seating done very well.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    'CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL, YOU'LL NEVER SING THAT!'

Beautiful.

What song is "championship football?"

Only come down off the game and catching up with early posts. It is to the same tune as “how s#*t must you be our manager scored”.

• Mehmeti needs a bit of freedom, a few years ago he'd never be in the team, we'd be packed with workhorses who can run all day but create nothing and we'd slap ourselves on the back if we left that game with a draw. As for all the weird generation blaming it just makes you sound like an old git. All the people were lovely in your day and now they are all self centered. BS.

• It seems odd to describe the generation that is most concerned about climate change as self-centred.

• What is the biggest down vote of a post ever on here? Seem to recall one 2 years ago or so suggesting Bloomfield should be dropped v Ipswich as he'd have mixed loyalties.

• @bookertease said:

With respect that is the biggest load of bollocks I’ve read on here since Richie’s greatest hits highlights reel was snapped up by Luton

That is a class insult

• @bookertease said:

I don’t think you need to offer any level of respect to the post or the poster. The whole of it is utter, utter bollocks.

The lads 20, two games into his second full season of professional football and some people are nit picking about a couple of passes he could have (yes could, not should have) made after getting himself in a great position with the ball.

The OP tries to claim it’s tough love he’s showing him. I don’t see much love in his posts. Just unwarranted toughness.

• edited August 2021

@HCblue said:

Yes. Myself and mate were waiting for the usual frisking, but instead got a smiley wave through.

Then the girl greeting us with "sit anywhere " was welcome, as that's the perennial unknown in away games with decent followings and certainly one they'll need to get planned well in advance at Oxford to avoid any sit down/but we want to stand arguments.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    I am struggling to understand this backlash against Mehmeti. Sure he'll get even better, but it feels like there's a myth developing that he never passes. He played the last but one pass in both the moves leading up to Pendlebury's goals.

I'm with @TheDancingYak that he was perfectly entitled to shoot in the incident which, admittedly, clearly frustrated McCleary. Gary Lineker made an interesting point, I thought, a few months back when he said that, in that situation, the player should always shoot, because if he shoots there's only one thing that can go wrong, the shot, whereas if he passes there's two things that can go wrong, the pass and the shot.

Two of the main reasons why goals are scored are

• because space is created because a second man has to move out of shape when a player is beaten

• because space is created because defenders are terrified of someone who can dribble past them and double man him

Anis causes both of those things.

There’s also another thing to consider - mcleary was in an excellent position to follow up had the keeper had to make a save in the corner Anis was shooting into.

Anis should have perhaps hit the target as a minimum. If you want to be ultra negative.

But I’ll take him getting into shooting positions now, knowing that hitting the target will come with time as his experience and perhaps composure grows and that itself will mean more goals will come in the future.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Let’s not forget that Anis is just 20 and only a year ago he was playing for Woodford Town. Last season he was holding his own in the Championship and the way he’s started this season he could be a shining star in League One. Yes, he needs to learn when it’s better to release the ball quickly, but that is something I’m sure our coaches can help him achieve. He’s a rare, exciting talent-the sort of player who gets you off your seat when he’s in possession. I am sure he’ll be allowed to develop at first team level where he’s already proved himself.

Not like me to agree with @glasshalffull but he is absolutely right. This kid is talented and will learn his trade under the guidance of our management team. I hope we can keep him for a couple more years because if he reaches his potential, he could make us a lot of money.

• edited August 2021

@floyd said:
    We don’t deserve our media team:

Whether he deliberately let the ball run away from him or not, that turn at 0:02 is absolute magic. And that ball in is exactly what we need more of to get the best out of Vokes, too.

• @aloysius is right as always. One of the players who did not leave as predicted in the summer is now just tarting about for his showreel to get a move. Probably at Gareth's instigation. Insights like this are what makes the Gasroom great. Oh and we won yesterday.but it was poor quality winning...

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@aloysius said:

Some call it trolling, you call it tough love I call it bollocks

POTD

• I'll happily take us winning while huffing and puffing and enthusiastic 20 year olds having shots on goal.

• There's a lot of disagreement on here at times, but it's reassuring to know that the Gasroom can be united by bollocks.

• @micra said:
    I’m going for wigan 2 wycombe 3 please. A tense evening.

Can’t be age, surely, but I somehow contrived to post my Wigan score prediction on here. 3-2 to Wycombe. Will post it correctly now. Mentioning Wigan weirdly reminded me that we’ve not heard from @Wig_and_Pen for ages. Hope all is well with him/her. Recommended me to a delightful little book - How Steeple Sinderby Wanderers Won The FA Cup, by J L Carr - a few years ago. Anyone interested I can bring it along on Saturday.
    DM me and let me know.

• I’m not sure why one or two are moaning about Anis and his ‘selfishness’ - he’s 20 years old, playing in L1 for Wycombe. What do you expect? If he didn’t have areas for improvement, he wouldn’t have been released by Norwich. And he wouldn’t be playing for Wycombe. And well, he wouldn’t be human. We are Wycombe, this isn’t the Man City academy we are talking about.

• edited August 2021

Anyone watching the Newcastle - West Ham game? Once Anis becomes a bit less selfish (which I don't see as a criticism, given his age) and better with his decision-making, I'd like to see us give him that Saint-Maximin free role - to come and collect from all areas and just take over, basically. His ceiling is so high. Admittedly Saint-Maximin is a bit streaky, but I see quite a few parallels with Anis in his play.

• Just on a different note, I hope Stockdale is fit for Tuesday night. Stockdale is such a big part of our set up. Really hope he is fit.