Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• Not to overreact, but there may be a case for Pendlebury with Thompson (or Gape) at times. I like Scowen, but goals from midfield are very nice indeed.

• edited August 2021

Pendlebury still looks very raw (I mean, that's to be expected!), but it's hard to overlook that goal threat if he keeps it up. A fit Thompson is one of the first names on the team sheet, though, so he's got to come in one way or another.

• I wouldn't drop Scowen on his showings so far - so much composure to match his combative performances. First name on the team sheet right now for me.

• Exciting options in midfield and up front. Just need that CB position covered, hopefully with a bit of height.

• Talking of which, any news on Tafazolli?

• edited August 2021

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Talking of which, any news on Tafazolli?

Was confirmed as "still in the treatment room" with Gape in the club's preview, but nothing other than that.

• Cheltenham had 13 shots today. Six on target and we blocked the other seven - impressive!

• I'm surprised no comment on here re Cheltenham subbing May. Their most dangerous player by a mile. We took control as soon as he went off with Vassals failing to make it stick and we just kept turning over possession.

• Just in from a trip out. Have i missed anything?

• @DJWYC14 said:
    I'm surprised no comment on here re Cheltenham subbing May. Their most dangerous player by a mile. We took control as soon as he went off with Vassals failing to make it stick and we just kept turning over possession.

Yeah, this was definitely the turning point.

A nice comment from the Cheltenham forum:

It was a superb flat and drilled delivery and Vokes did what he did for Burnley against top Premier League sides. Close to undefendable at this level and if they keep putting in balls like that he will keep scoring.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Pendlebury still looks very raw (I mean, that's to be expected!), but it's hard to overlook that goal threat if he keeps it up. A fit Thompson is one of the first names on the team sheet, though, so he's got to come in one way or another.

I still think on the showings so far this season there are going to be enough games for everyone! When was the last time we could rest someone and not worry too much about the player coming in? Good times.

• @eric_plant said:
    (we've all done it son)

Great goals weren’t they? He could be the difference if he keeps it up.

• Exactly how I thought the game would go. Strong showing from them in the first half, first game back in a new league, rode that out and the second half was all ours.

Impressive all over. I don't love a midfield 2 with this formation, and Obitas crossing was weak up the left. I'd like to see Kakai there with more players fit.

Other than that, a stonking show from the team. V happy for Vokes.

• Yeah, I think we're a touch one-dimensional without an inverted wing-back on one side. McCarthy and Obita both have a great ball in them, but neither is consistent enough.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Lightweight midfield but that's a very attacking team. Fair play to Pendlebury but yet to see how he is better than Thompson.

Unless Kashket is injured, looks like his days are numbered?

COYB

See it now?

• My word, what's it going to be like when we resolve all these problems?
    Thompson, Scowen, Gape or Pendlebury in midfield?
    Kaikai, Orbita or Freeman at LWB?
    McCleary, Horgan or Mehmeti at #10?
    Who's cover for Tafazolli at CB?
    Kashkett, Samuel, De Barr or Bayo as backup for Vokes?
    Where will Wheeler play?

I don't know what GA, Dobbo and the Couhigs are doing not sorting it out yet...

• My first game back today since Covid, what a great game to come back to. The support in the away end from us today was insane. Couldn’t believe how quiet Cheltenham fans were, you would’ve thought they were at the library!

• What a triumphent away day. First away day for me since that disappointing 2-0 defeat against the franchise in February 2020. We definality showed up in the second half more then a much closer first half. I feel so happy for Olly Pendlebury and his 2 goals today. Bearing in mind hes not even 20 yet, we've picked up a gem of a player. Are midfield is already looking ridiculously strong and ability filled for this season and much like the squad too. I also thought Stockdale, Stewart, Scowen, McCleary, Mehmeti and Vokes had good games today, and I was very much pleased to see Sam Vokes score his first goal in the blue quarters for us. Even with the notable absenses of Gape, Tafazolli, Wheeler, Bloomfield, Kashket, Horgan and McCarthy, I remain immensely confident in what this squad could do this season.

Away days are finally back...

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I wouldn't drop Scowen on his showings so far - so much composure to match his combative performances. First name on the team sheet right now for me.

I couldn’t agree more, he rarely puts a foot wrong and has added composure on the ball to the many qualities he displayed in his first season with us. A top player.

• @railwaysteve said:
    Here's a laugh for anyone who is bored at the ground or stuck on a train. I just looked up the Peterborough v Derby score, both teams for which I have special regard. Maybe I all this practice with predicting is really producing an ability for seeing the future - I couldn't work out why I couldn't find the score until I realised I was looking in League One.

It is 0 - 1 to Derby at 90 mins - match not yet finished.

Great jinx.

• @Shev said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Thompson is like a metronome for intensity - which we're badly lacking in at the moment. Admittedly we would have been 2-0 up had Anis squared to GMac.

Love Mehmeti, but he has to learn to be unselfish at times. McLeary would be a great role model there.

All the positives aside from today, this has to be the key learning for Mehmeti.

That 2nd goal, was from a player unselfishly laying it off for Pendlebury, and we saw what happened.
    Twice Mehmeti had done his magic, but needs to learn when another player is in a better position, or when he's off balance/slightly straining to shoot.

However, some magical little moments at times today.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Wonderful start to the season, if we can get something at Wigan maybe we can go on a real run and park ourselves firmly where we want to be. Well done to all involved in getting Pendlebury and Vokes in. Look forward to seeing the goals later. As much as I supported the 3pm TV rule I can't see how it can carry on as people get their workarounds going and have become accustomed to watching all the games.

Exactly this.
    Once the pandemic had broken the rule, you'd have thought it'd stay broken.
    But if the clubs vote against it, what can you do?

• edited August 2021

@Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    Wonderful start to the season, if we can get something at Wigan maybe we can go on a real run and park ourselves firmly where we want to be. Well done to all involved in getting Pendlebury and Vokes in. Look forward to seeing the goals later. As much as I supported the 3pm TV rule I can't see how it can carry on as people get their workarounds going and have become accustomed to watching all the games.

Exactly this.
    Once the pandemic had broken the rule, you'd have thought it'd stay broken.
    But if the clubs vote against it, what can you do?

Do the clubs not realise that VPNs exist? It's never been easier to get around the blackout - and totally legally. Websites run 'how to watch' previews with affiliate links to VPNs because so many people search for streams (and I think are cottoning onto the face you don't have to use dodgy ones anymore).

• The clubs probably don't mind too much, as it's only the determined minority who are doing it, and they still get a cut from it anyway.

A lot different to the original streams that clubs didn't get a cut from. Although they didn't exist for lower leagues.

• Some thanks must be due to Gareth and Dobbo for fashioning another win despite the obvious shortcomings of our defence and midfield highlighted on here and the superior quality of the opposition. :smile:

• @DJWYC14 said:
    I'm surprised no comment on here re Cheltenham subbing May. Their most dangerous player by a mile. We took control as soon as he went off with Vassals failing to make it stick and we just kept turning over possession.

Astute comment. And I think he'd even had a dangerous run down the wing a min or so before.
    It was a relief seeing him come off.

The other player I couldn't work out whether he was decent or a flimsy showboater was the young looking midfield with the hairband who produced the cross.
    He disappeared totally in the second half.

• very good and fair interview by the Cheltenham manager in regards to the match . we had the quality at key moments and out set pieces are on point

• @Malone said:
    The clubs probably don't mind too much, as it's only the determined minority who are doing it, and they still get a cut from it anyway.

A lot different to the original streams that clubs didn't get a cut from. Although they didn't exist for lower leagues.

It just feels so outdated; even semi-professional clubs have streaming capabilities now. Give it a couple of years...