Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:
    Like I said, not Penders game, take him off!

I'd still do that to solidify things in the middle, but that should do his confidence the world of good!

When was the last time two separate Wycombe players got braces in the first two games of the season?

Reliably informed by Gasman that it was 1970 - when there were braces in each of the first four league games, by four different players.

• It wasn't even like Mehmeti didn't have clear sight of McCleary waiting in the perfect position for the ball. It's a real lack of footballing maturity, such a contrast from the selfless work of Horgan last week. I had hoped he would have had that trained out of him by now. Maybe some time back in the development squad might help Mehmeti develop into the player he could potentially be.

• @aloysius said:
    It wasn't even like Mehmeti didn't have clear sight of McCleary waiting in the perfect position for the ball. It's a real lack of footballing maturity, such a contrast from the selfless work of Horgan last week. I had hoped he would have had that trained out of him by now. Maybe some time back in the development squad might help Mehmeti develop into the player he could potentially be.

he is so talented it's unreal, I would say he is the most naturally talented player we have, he made a mistake yes however putting him back into the development team is ludicrous

• @aloysius said:
    It wasn't even like Mehmeti didn't have clear sight of McCleary waiting in the perfect position for the ball. It's a real lack of footballing maturity, such a contrast from the selfless work of Horgan last week. I had hoped he would have had that trained out of him by now. Maybe some time back in the development squad might help Mehmeti develop into the player he could potentially be.

Nonsense

Having watched the replay back, once he had gone round the defender, I can totally see why he did shoot, he was dead centre of the goal, in the box. The pass should have come just before that

By the time he looked up to shoot (and did shoot), it wasn't that bad a decision... He should have looked up earlier though

• The goals will come for Mehmeti and that will then make him more likely to be selfless. He’s probably just set himself certain expectations and scoring will be one of them.
    He’s a joy and I have to pinch myself that we have him. For the time being.

• @aloysius said:

Terrible idea, players of Mehmetis quality terrify defenders at this level when he’s got the ball they’re already back heeling it towards their own goal .
    McCleary is a seasoned professional he would have told Anis the pass would have been a better option and they would move on, he knows the object is to create a dozen more chances like that than to dwell on one.

• @Forest_Blue said:

@Aylesburyblue said:

McCleary looked pretty miffed that Mehmeti didn't pass the ball.

Agreed…have you ever played with a very good player who won’t pass…gets frustrating, even in 5 a side. I think academy football encourages greedy players…discuss?

Yes totally. It's just as good to set up a goal as it is to score one.Just needs to realise that..

• I think there’s a bit of harsh criticism on Anis, like had he played the boss then the goal was a sure fire thing.

1. After thy run and turning defenders inside and out he’s earned the right to have a shot now he’s in the box and fairly central.
    2. Everyone would have criticised his lack of killer instinct by passing had he done so and mcleary went on to miss.
  • Pass not boss.

• @Gary said:
    Gaz in his post match interview confirmed that Stocko’s hand injury is a ‘nasty one’ and he’s seemingly a doubt for Tuesday. Hopefully he will recover in time.

I’m the GA lexicon, that openness of information translates to “he’s out for the season.”

• @TheDancingYak said:
    I think there’s a bit of harsh criticism on Anis, like had he played the boss then the goal was a sure fire thing.

1. After thy run and turning defenders inside and out he’s earned the right to have a shot now he’s in the box and fairly central.
    2. Everyone would have criticised his lack of killer instinct by passing had he done so and mcleary went on to miss.

There were two he should have passed for.

The first one he was off balance and had a defender and the keeper to get it past.

If he passes, the defender is out of the game and a man of McCleary's experience very likely puts it away.

Having said that, I remember Gary Lineker saying he would always shoot, as if you pass there's two things that can wrong, the pass and the shot, whereas if you shoot only the shot can go wrong!
    We won 3-1 so it didn't matter yesterday but I'm sure a quiet word or 2 are coming Anis's way, whilst still encouraging the great solo work that got the chance in the first place.

• Anis has already improved the defensive side of his game immeasurably from last season, winning the ball back all over the pitch. If he works on his decision making for passes at the same speed, then he'll have that trained into him in no time. Sending him back to the development squad would be insane.

• I am struggling to understand this backlash against Mehmeti. Sure he'll get even better, but it feels like there's a myth developing that he never passes. He played the last but one pass in both the moves leading up to Pendlebury's goals.

I'm with @TheDancingYak that he was perfectly entitled to shoot in the incident which, admittedly, clearly frustrated McCleary. Gary Lineker made an interesting point, I thought, a few months back when he said that, in that situation, the player should always shoot, because if he shoots there's only one thing that can go wrong, the shot, whereas if he passes there's two things that can go wrong, the pass and the shot.

Two of the main reasons why goals are scored are

• because space is created because a second man has to move out of shape when a player is beaten

• because space is created because defenders are terrified of someone who can dribble past them and double man him

Anis causes both of those things.

• edited August 2021

Are you stealing my lines @OakwoodExile ;)

• I think its time we got this exciting young player to adapt to the way we've been complaining about Wycombe playing for about five years before it's too late.

• Just to clarify. There’s no backlash against Mehmeti. Just the usual trolling from a certain gasroomer whose post above already has a goal difference of -7

• @Malone we were obviously typing at the same time!

• @OakwoodExile said:
    @Malone we were obviously typing at the same time!

Just joshing.
    And you got two thumbs up, so you won anyway ;)

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Just to clarify. There’s no backlash against Mehmeti. Just the usual trolling from a certain gasroomer whose post above already has a goal difference of -7

Agreed. Silly over the top post there, and a few of merely frustrated that he could have passed. But no backlash!

He's a single minded guy, as seen in his tweet saying another day he could have scored 2 himself!

• Not a spectacular performance yesterday by any means, but a solid second half showing and a deserved win.

I actually thought Mehmeti was our best player yesterday. We huffed and puffed for long periods, but were rather predictable and weren't creating much. He was the 1 player who was able to produce something different and was always the providing the biggest goal threat. Personally having fashioned the chances himself and got a clear sight of goal I thought he was perfectly entitled to shoot on the 2 occasions he broke clear. Asides from showing the skills and fancy footwork we've come to expect, he worked hard and didn't give the ball away, which he occasionally had a tendency to do last season. I thought it was a very encouraging 90mins from him yesterday.

• I heard someone once said it’s better to shoot than pass, because if you pass there’s two things that can go wrong (the pass, and the subsequent shot) and if you shoot there’s only one.

I think it was David Stockdale.

• @Malone said:

@OakwoodExile said:
    @Malone we were obviously typing at the same time!

Just joshing.
    And you got two thumbs up, so you won anyway ;)

That was just for the use of bullets.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Just to clarify. There’s no backlash against Mehmeti. Just the usual trolling from a certain gasroomer whose post above already has a goal difference of -7

-10 now not a contender for comment of the month. If it is trolling why?

• do people pronounce 'trolling'....

• as in 'rolling about on the floor' OR
    • as in 'lolling about in my underwear'?
  • It crossed my mind to go and have a look to see if there was a thread like this on the Stoke forum. Very reasonable comments

https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/300985/vokes-scores

• @LX1 said:
    do people pronounce 'trolling'....

I pronounce it to rhyme with scone.

• In fairness, Anis' selflessness led to the first goal and he kept hold of the ball to keep things alive ahead of the second. But someone's post seems to have had the desired effect.

• Some call it trolling, I like to call it tough love.

I want Mehmeti to be successful as the rest of you but until he learns it's a team game and not all about him, he won't be the player he could be. My fear is he's looking for a massive signing-on fee with a bigger club when his contract expires and thinks the best way to get that is to build a highlights reel of mazy dribbles into the box with Hollywood shots at the end.

Gareth is hopefully telling him that he'll be more in demand if he has a highlights reel of mazy dribbles into the box and brilliantly placed passes that result in goals, plus the odd few for himself from clever one-twos (for which he'd have to pass in the first place).

He's Gen Z, they're self-centred by nature, so I don't entirely blame him. I do worry that the Gasroom collectively is the sort of group that would fail to train a puppy out of pissing on the bed because it looks cute while doing it, though.

• Mehmeti is an exciting and very talented young player who we are very fortunate to have as part of our first team squad. He will mature and he will have the rough edges smoothed off by Gareth and Dobbo but he has more talent in his little finger than most players in League 1.
    Don’t knock him but enjoy him as we won’t have him for long.
    Some really amazing posts on this subject.

• edited August 2021

@LX1 said:
    do people pronounce 'trolling'....

I've always pronounced it like 'lolling', but it should be 'rolling' and now I'm having an existential crisis.