Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:
    The clubs probably don't mind too much, as it's only the determined minority who are doing it, and they still get a cut from it anyway.

A lot different to the original streams that clubs didn't get a cut from. Although they didn't exist for lower leagues.

It just feels so outdated; even semi-professional clubs have streaming capabilities now. Give it a couple of years...

I suppose as long as we don't go near the Spanish model, and let clubs individually sell rights, it should be ok.

It did feel odd having 5 Premier league 3pms today I must say as well.

• Clubs clearly think it would affect attendances and I agree- especially for away fans which some clubs (including us), can be really reliant on.

I know I'd have stayed home on the odd occasion and saved money if it was on ifollow - especially for long trips

• @Username said:
    Clubs clearly think it would affect attendances and I agree- especially for away fans which some clubs (including us), can be really reliant on.

I know I'd have stayed home on the odd occasion and saved money if it was on ifollow - especially for long trips

Wycombe voted against bringing it back

• Just wish they would shove some WD40 in that bloody door hinge. Sure that was squeaking when Gary Johnson was manager there!

• @Username said:
    Clubs clearly think it would affect attendances and I agree- especially for away fans which some clubs (including us), can be really reliant on.

The strange thing is that the club whose channel you watch through, get the 80% (or whetever it is).
    Why that isn't automatically the home club, I do not know.

But like that Accy guy said, if they drew say Sunderland on a midweek, and 1,000 fans decided to watch on Ifollow, Accy are suddenly looking at a 20k loss, and even worse they don't even get the £8s in from ifollow, unless Sunderland fans for some reason watch through Accy's feed not Sunderlands!

• edited August 2021

On the game, without playing particularly well we ended up comfortably winning, that's a great sign.

Mehmeti had a few highlight reel moments and is going to be unstoppable in this league if he can learn when to pass and be a little more clinical

Hopefully the JJ->Vokes combination will be a regular one this season, once Tafa is back we're going to be a huge threat at set pieces

• @JohnBoy said:

@thecatwwfc said:
    Lightweight midfield but that's a very attacking team. Fair play to Pendlebury but yet to see how he is better than Thompson.

Unless Kashket is injured, looks like his days are numbered?

COYB

See it now?

hehe

• Today’s a fairly good example isn’t it. There were more than 800 Wycombe fans in a crowd of 3,800. So about one in five of the attendees were away fans.

Would that have been the same if it had been streamed. Unlikely.

Might the two clubs have made more money today if it had been streamed. Quite possibly.

Would they make more money long term if Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal etc are also streaming their matches at 3pm on Saturday. Don’t know, but I can understand why many clubs are reluctant to go down that road.

• @TheatreOfChairs said:
    Today’s a fairly good example isn’t it. There were more than 800 Wycombe fans in a crowd of 3,800. So about one in five of the attendees were away fans.

Would that have been the same if it had been streamed. Unlikely.

Might the two clubs have made more money today if it had been streamed. Quite possibly.

Would they make more money long term if Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal etc are also streaming their matches at 3pm on Saturday. Don’t know, but I can understand why many clubs are reluctant to go down that road.

It's tough to say really isn't it.

Early season, with a good start, great squad, looking like we could be a decent force in this league, I suspect we'd have taken similar numbers whether on ifollow or not.

But if it was winter, a bit further away, then very doubtful we would.

• I’m perfectly happy with games not being available to watch live on iFollow (or whatever).

If the last 18 months have shown us anything it is how much supporters in grounds matter.

Anything that reduces the people who physically go and watch, even if it is financially beneficial, should be discouraged.

I do feel sorry for those for whom physically attending is impossible but at the moment I don’t think we should be showing games at 1500 on a Saturday

• @Wanderers82 said:
    very good and fair interview by the Cheltenham manager in regards to the match . we had the quality at key moments and out set pieces are on point

Nice quote from him about the Vokes goal:

"Vokesy (Sam Vokes), it’s not even a chance really, it’s a brilliant delivery and their set plays were better than ours. That can’t happen because we can’t afford to give advantages that way. But Charlie Raglan can’t get any tighter, he was nearly inside his shirt and he still manages to win the header. That’s why he has 50 caps for Wales. That is ultimately the difference."

Full interview here: https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/we-more-offer-that-cheltenham-5788377

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    The shithousery is strong with this one

Mocking JJ before he takes an inswinging corner. How instant do you want your karma, Cheltenham fans?

• Joe said the guy who started the chant shook his hand after, tbf, which is probably more than you'd get from a lot of fans!

• @Shev said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Mocking JJ before he takes an inswinging corner. How instant do you want your karma, Cheltenham fans?

Superb.
    Love the squawking laughter of those embarrassed at the goonery around them too.

You're just a sh!t....(add indecipherable name of absolute local non entity), made me laugh.

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Superb.
    Love the squawking laughter of those embarrassed at the goonery around them too.

You're just a sh!t....(add indecipherable name of absolute local non entity), made me laugh.

Chris Hussey apparently. It sounded like 'Greek sausage'.

• @HCblue said:

@Wanderers82 said:
    very good and fair interview by the Cheltenham manager in regards to the match . we had the quality at key moments and out set pieces are on point

Nice quote from him about the Vokes goal:

"Vokesy (Sam Vokes), it’s not even a chance really, it’s a brilliant delivery and their set plays were better than ours. That can’t happen because we can’t afford to give advantages that way. But Charlie Raglan can’t get any tighter, he was nearly inside his shirt and he still manages to win the header. That’s why he has 50 caps for Wales. That is ultimately the difference."

Full interview here: https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/we-more-offer-that-cheltenham-5788377

I initially thought 50? Behave, stop exaggerating.
    But looks like the real number is 64!!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

I love JJ

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Username said:

Direct quote from Rob Couhig - Episode 1 of Our House around 24 mins in “I think those folks who voted against letting those 3 o’clock games be on iFollow - very short sighted.”

What makes you think they voted against bringing it back? Appears to me that Rob wanted iFollow to be available.

• @JohnBoy said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Username said:

Direct quote from Rob Couhig - Episode 1 of Our House around 24 mins in “I think those folks who voted against letting those 3 o’clock games be on iFollow - very short sighted.”

What makes you think they voted against bringing it back? Appears to me that Rob wanted iFollow to be available.

I mean the blackout

• These highlights don't always show the full story, but that covers it pretty well.

2 great chances Mehmeti should have passed with
    Critical save at 1-1 with their man right through

Even better strikes than remembered from Pendlebury! The second one under massive pressure.

• McCleary looked pretty miffed that Mehmeti didn't pass the ball.

• @Aylesburyblue said:

McCleary looked pretty miffed that Mehmeti didn't pass the ball.

Not surprised, he'd have had a great chance to score.
    Better than an off balance Mehmeti with a defender in the way.
    He'll learn though and had made the chance in fairness.

• All I can look at is the white part and I see a dinosaur with it’s mouth open > @drcongo said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I love JJ

Yep one for the highlights reel already

• Gaz in his post match interview confirmed that Stocko’s hand injury is a ‘nasty one’ and he’s seemingly a doubt for Tuesday. Hopefully he will recover in time.

• I’m going for wigan 2 wycombe 3 please. A tense evening.

• @Aylesburyblue said:

McCleary looked pretty miffed that Mehmeti didn't pass the ball.

Agreed…have you ever played with a very good player who won’t pass…gets frustrating, even in 5 a side. I think academy football encourages greedy players…discuss?