Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Just on a different note, I hope Stockdale is fit for Tuesday night. Stockdale is such a big part of our set up. Really hope he is fit.

Gareth didn't sound too hopeful, but fingers crossed.

• He certainly seemed to have an issue with his right hand after the second incident. Hopefully nothing broken in there.

• edited August 2021

I think we'd be able to get someone in on an emergency loan as we'd be down to one senior GK? Although they clearly trust Przybek if he's gone straight in as number two.

• Is Jamal Blackman still a free agent? Not that I want Stocko to miss a single game.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Is Jamal Blackman still a free agent? Not that I want Stocko to miss a single game.

Yeah, but we won't sign a 'keeper on a permanent. Hopefully the fact he finished the game is a positive sign of sorts.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    Is Jamal Blackman still a free agent? Not that I want Stocko to miss a single game.

Yeah, but we won't sign a 'keeper on a permanent. Hopefully the fact he finished the game is a positive sign of sorts.

Stocko definitely looked to be holding his right hand awkwardly and clapping very tentatively in post match celebrations. Here's hoping it's all very precautionary as losing him would be a massive blow with a big run of fixtures coming up.

• It would be a massive blow if he wasn’t available. Hopefully we’re looking to bring in a senior keeper if he is injured.

Przybek might be a decent prospect but it will be tough to sustain a promotion challenge with a 21 year old keeper who has played 3 league games.

Blackman would be great but seems unlikely as he’d never sign as a number two. I just don’t know how many experienced keepers there are out there who are both available and would want to come.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Anyone watching the Newcastle - West Ham game? Once Anis becomes a bit less selfish (which I don't see as a criticism, given his age) and better with his decision-making, I'd like to see us give him that Saint-Maximin free role - to come and collect from all areas and just take over, basically. His ceiling is so high. Admittedly Saint-Maximin is a bit streaky, but I see quite a few parallels with Anis in his play.

Saint Maxi has stunning pace, whereas Anis doesn't, and is all about the trickery. Totally different, and I'm not sure Gareth will ever give someone a free role. Not what we're about.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Just on a different note, I hope Stockdale is fit for Tuesday night. Stockdale is such a big part of our set up. Really hope he is fit.

Am just hoping when Gareth said he hopes he's fit "for the weekend", that was just a turn of phrase, and didn't mean he'd already ruled him out of Tuesday.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Anyone watching the Newcastle - West Ham game? Once Anis becomes a bit less selfish (which I don't see as a criticism, given his age) and better with his decision-making, I'd like to see us give him that Saint-Maximin free role - to come and collect from all areas and just take over, basically. His ceiling is so high. Admittedly Saint-Maximin is a bit streaky, but I see quite a few parallels with Anis in his play.

Saint Maxi has stunning pace, whereas Anis doesn't, and is all about the trickery. Totally different, and I'm not sure Gareth will ever give someone a free role. Not what we're about.

Pace aside, they're not dissimilar - Anis is very tricky! (And gives the ball away in dangerous positions in his own half.)

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Pace aside, they're not dissimilar - Anis is very tricky! (And gives the ball away in dangerous positions in his own half.)

SM's game is getting it in space, and using his massive pace to get away, get fouled/get free kicks etc.

Anis doesn't do that, but gets it tight near the opposition box.

As your comparisons go, I'm not sure this one works, just that you were watching Newcastle recently ;)

Was it you who was comparing Uche to Lewandowski the other week? :)
    Or was it the much more astute Wanchope one that came from you?

• edited August 2021

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

SM's game is getting it in space, and using his massive pace to get away, get fouled/get free kicks etc.

As your comparisons go, I'm not sure this one works, just that you were watching Newcastle recently ;)

Nah, I compared him to Lewa - and I stand by that, more than I'll stand by this latest one!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Nah, I compared him to Lewa - and I stand by that, more than I'll stand by this latest one!

Haha, maybe stick to the other stuff you do brilliantly eh ;)

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Haha, maybe stick to the other stuff you do brilliantly eh ;)

Tbh, I meant mainly the stuff ASM does around the box - tying defenders in knots almost gratuitously before floating the ball in (see Wilson goal) - and might have got a bit carried away. They're both great entertainers, though (for those who believe football should, in fact, be enjoyed...).

• I think Mehmeti got the memo for the second half, as he seemed to look for the pass much more, including the goal build up he is involved in.

My much larger concern is the contract. I am dreading the thought of losing him for nothing - not just losing the fee, but a possible massive sell-on fee down the road, as he could potentially be that good. To lose a million odd quid owing to his contract running down, and then see him sold on for 15-20 million a few years down the road without us getting a cut would be absolutely galling. The discovery and development would almost be for nothing.

• @Shev said:
    I think Mehmeti got the memo for the second half, as he seemed to look for the pass much more, including the goal build up he is involved in.

My much larger concern is the contract. I am dreading the thought of losing him for nothing - not just losing the fee, but a possible massive sell-on fee down the road, as he could potentially be that good. To lose a million odd quid owing to his contract running down, and then see him sold on for 15-20 million a few years down the road without us getting a cut would be absolutely galling. The discovery and development would almost be for nothing.

Do people pay that much for self-centered youths these days?

• @Shev said:
    I think Mehmeti got the memo for the second half, as he seemed to look for the pass much more, including the goal build up he is involved in.

Our management will be on top of it I'm sure.
    Probably as much risk of whopping him on a long deal at big money relative to our experienced players, and then him not staying hungry enough.

Tough call to get the right level, but Gareth tends to get it right consistently.

Arguably only Parker in recent times was signed on too long a deal.

• Better not get any decent players in as we then have to worry how badly the club has handled the contract and what the hell we are going to do when they leave.

• @Malone said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:

Am just hoping when Gareth said he hopes he's fit "for the weekend", that was just a turn of phrase, and didn't mean he'd already ruled him out of Tuesday.

I thought exactly the same

• @Alexo said:

@Malone said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:

I thought exactly the same

Or hoping he meant, we'll see how he is after the weekend... As in check him over today

• edited August 2021

Just on the game again (and this applies to the Accrington game too), crossing: if we're to get the most out of Vokes, the ball needs to go in earlier and with more consistency. Our wing-backs are great at getting up the pitch and into the right position at the right time, but their crossing been lacking so far. Presumably something we're working on as Gareth put quite a lot of emphasis on it as wanting it to be a big part of the way we play - but it might take a change of personnel (Kaikai looked encouraging, although I'd like to see him on the left).

• The higher up you go in football (and sport in general I’d add) the better players make the better decisions more of the time. Also, often the best way to learn is by MAKING MISTAKES.

You will probably also find he’s the type of player that will lose the ball in dribbles more than most because he is brave, composed and fearless but probably also have the most successful dribbles for the same reasons. And he’ll also make the most inaccurate passes in the final third (because he will attempt this more than others) but also create the most opportunities for others in the final third.

This is because he is a creative player and still developing, under the age of 23 (so his brain as well as body is still developing - hence why the shift to u23 football) and has only started about 25 matches in his entire professional career.

Punishing a player by taking the opportunity to shine and grow in this surrounding away, and putting him back in the u23’s is old school and the exact coaching mentality that saw English football produce about a handful of technical football genius’ between about 1970 and 2015.

On the subject of McCleary, I watched an absolute shedload of him in his early days as I follow Forest too, I can assure you there were definite and obvious reasons in relation to his decision making that meant that he was a sub almost every week until everything clicked for him and he was starting regularly and raining goals. Then his contract was up and went off to Reading. Sorry for the rant but please please just embrace that we have such an exciting and rare talent in Mehmeti and he will do things that frustrate, and this will be most weeks and is entirely natural and a part of his own development.

Oh, and he had a pretty major hand in BOTH of Pendlebury’s goals did he not?

• Briliant response from JJ at 7 minutes in this vlog

• edited August 2021

• OK Guy's, I've zipped through 2 pages now so may have missed a bit. Basically, we need to realise that Anis is spending his time, beating himself up over missed chances to add to score and the team. It's pure pressure. He ALWAYS hits his hand and shows frustration when a shot doesn't go in. He needs to look UP (mentally) and see the positive instead of the negative. I'm sure that GA and Dobbo will be working on this and Anis will steady the ship and move onward and upward! I really hope he sign's an extension before that though! Give him a break! He's seriously talented and we're lucky to have him.

• We've got a relative abundance of 10s right now, only understandable that Anis wants to take his chance and mark it with a goal. He'd taken it through beautifully and was perfectly right to shoot, I imagine McCleary would've done the same thing. A better shot would've gone in.

• Must admit haven’t ploughed through this thread but for me Anis is very exciting to watch, I’m out of my seat every time he gets the ball around the oppo box. Yes he isn’t the finished product - why would he be! But he terrorises defences and as word spreads he will be heavily marked which frees space for others (much like Sam V does). He actually had a better game than Pendlebury but he doesn’t possess Olie’s crisp shot (yet). As I say all very exciting and positive.

• The approach play to the 3rd goal by Anis was joyous. The cross was great and on another day would have been a simple nod in for Vokes. As it was it was cleared and Ollie banged in a great goal. But simple truth is no quick feet and spin from Anis no goal.
    He's a work in progress for sure. He needs to calm himself about his goalscoring record and it will come. Technically I cannot think of many better and we won't have him for long so let's sit back and enjoy the ride.

• Let's hope that we will soon have Mehmeti tied down on a long term contract. So that we can continue to see this unique talent, and will be able to demand a fee, of which will far exceed anything we have received before.