Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• Not a lot of sympathy for Derby in the BBC game comments

• They'll still get a parachute payment though. YCMIU

• Derby relegated. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha lol.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    They'll still get a parachute payment though. YCMIU

Should be paid straight to HMRC to offset some of their debts.

• @StrongestTeam said:

I'd suggest you have a good word with yourself about the quality of player "one would like" . Two legs is a start , anything is a bonus from there, there are some excellent players that will be out of contract at the end of the season as clubs cut their cloth accordingly or just because a manager doesn't like, appreciate or need them.

Quality. I'd deem that to be players capable of football rather than hoofball. Not a lot to ask.

Any road up, it's done and dusted. We're down. Coincidentally, Reading got their equaliser at the same time Lawro got his 2nd yellow....

Next season? Anything better than a season of consolidation would be a welcome bonus. Those are my expectations. We probably will have a larger wage budget than many clubs but that will be because we will have more income due to ticket sales and merchandise sales. Our last sojourn to the 3rd level was the 84/85 season, promotion came in the 2nd season, 85/86. Home gates didn't suffer and we gave just about every other side in the league their largest home crowd of the season. I expect 20K home crowds and the sell out of away allocations.

Despite being an expat, I will be buying a season ticket for the first time since that 84/85 season when I emigrated. I'll use it for half a dozen games myself. Flying in Friday and back out Sunday evening will cost around 500 a pop. Games I'm not at, the season ticket will be at my Derby local with the landlord who will hire it out at a tenner a throw to a local pensioner. Proceeds to go to his Annual Poppy Appeal. Win win win.

With regard to my use of "Mel", A) it's his name B) easier than typing "Morris" and at my age I like to conserve my energy.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Raminpeace said:
    looks like I can't post in other threads so I'll comment here.... Great result against Plymouth, You should beat Wimbledon and Burton. That leaves Wendy as the hard one. Win that and get the right results elsewhere and the playoffs are there. Hope you do well.

How you feeling? Full of hope the miracle might happen? Realistic that miracles don’t happen? Optimistic for a massive turnaround of fortunes next season in L1 and looking forward to great things? Just happy to have a club? Not convinced the current bid will happen?

I've been saying for a long time that survival was not impossible but highly unlikley. Yesterday, relegation became a fact. The team has made a decent fist of it all season. Proud of what they've done. A high % won't be with us next season IMO.

Next season's expectations are midtable consolidation. Anything better would be a bonus. Our last stay in L1 lasted 2 seasons. I wouldn't complain if promotion came in the 2nd season again but I am very aware that a lot of clubs have spent more time than that there following relegation. City, forest, Leicester all spent a few seasons there. Sunderland, Ipswich have both been there a while. It's not a given.

• @Raminpeace said:

@StrongestTeam said:

I'd suggest you have a good word with yourself about the quality of player "one would like" . Two legs is a start , anything is a bonus from there, there are some excellent players that will be out of contract at the end of the season as clubs cut their cloth accordingly or just because a manager doesn't like, appreciate or need them.

Quality. I'd deem that to be players capable of football rather than hoofball. Not a lot to ask.

Any road up, it's done and dusted. We're down. Coincidentally, Reading got their equaliser at the same time Lawro got his 2nd yellow....

Next season? Anything better than a season of consolidation would be a welcome bonus. Those are my expectations. We probably will have a larger wage budget than many clubs but that will be because we will have more income due to ticket sales and merchandise sales. Our last sojourn to the 3rd level was the 84/85 season, promotion came in the 2nd season, 85/86. Home gates didn't suffer and we gave just about every other side in the league their largest home crowd of the season. I expect 20K home crowds and the sell out of away allocations.

Despite being an expat, I will be buying a season ticket for the first time since that 84/85 season when I emigrated. I'll use it for half a dozen games myself. Flying in Friday and back out Sunday evening will cost around 500 a pop. Games I'm not at, the season ticket will be at my Derby local with the landlord who will hire it out at a tenner a throw to a local pensioner. Proceeds to go to his Annual Poppy Appeal. Win win win.

With regard to my use of "Mel", A) it's his name B) easier than typing "Morris" and at my age I like to conserve my energy.

Couple of points:

Quality - The best you can afford next season is the right player for the level you are - no time to be snobby about style of football, you can do that next year when you get beaten by teams you consider beneath you. See Pompey, Sunderland, Charlton, Ipswich etc...
    Wage budget - If you have a relatively large budget it will only be due to you not paying your debts

• @Raminpeace said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Raminpeace said:
    looks like I can't post in other threads so I'll comment here.... Great result against Plymouth, You should beat Wimbledon and Burton. That leaves Wendy as the hard one. Win that and get the right results elsewhere and the playoffs are there. Hope you do well.

How you feeling? Full of hope the miracle might happen? Realistic that miracles don’t happen? Optimistic for a massive turnaround of fortunes next season in L1 and looking forward to great things? Just happy to have a club? Not convinced the current bid will happen?

I've been saying for a long time that survival was not impossible but highly unlikley. Yesterday, relegation became a fact. The team has made a decent fist of it all season. Proud of what they've done. A high % won't be with us next season IMO.

Next season's expectations are midtable consolidation. Anything better would be a bonus. Our last stay in L1 lasted 2 seasons. I wouldn't complain if promotion came in the 2nd season again but I am very aware that a lot of clubs have spent more time than that there following relegation. City, forest, Leicester all spent a few seasons there. Sunderland, Ipswich have both been there a while. It's not a given.

Seeing the reaction to relegation puzzles me a little. WR is being heralded as a genius manager and a saint. The former we will have to see about the latter puzzles me. WR is surely a symbol of the excesses of Derby and their spending. Every time you look at him surely you think 90k a week was madness. And symptomatic of where you are today.

• Derby County won't have a club next season and if they do it will be run by a cowboy chancer in Kirchner (just look at his tweets...). Derby won't be anywhere near the Championship any time soon.

• You can just tell they're going to take 'Get us out of this farmers' league' entitlement to new levels. Get us out of this league!

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Raminpeace said:

@Raminpeace said:

Seeing the reaction to relegation puzzles me a little. WR is being heralded as a genius manager and a saint. The former we will have to see about the latter puzzles me. WR is surely a symbol of the excesses of Derby and their spending. Every time you look at him surely you think 90k a week was madness. And symptomatic of where you are today.

I have never been a fan of Wayne Rooney, quite the opposite in fact. However I think claiming him to be a symbol of Derby's excesses is somewhat harsh in the circumstances.

Rooney could have walked away at any time, and in my opinion has done a superb job organising the players on the pitch when all around him the club was/is an utter madhouse. He has expressed a wish to manage them in League 1 and I hope the Board, (whoever that may be), show him the same loyalty if things don't go so well on the pitch.

• @mooneyman said:

@Raminpeace said:

@Raminpeace said:

I have never been a fan of Wayne Rooney, quite the opposite in fact. However I think claiming him to be a symbol of Derby's excesses is somewhat harsh in the circumstances.

Rooney could have walked away at any time, and in my opinion has done a superb job organising the players on the pitch when all around him the club was/is an utter madhouse. He has expressed a wish to manage them in League 1 and I hope the Board, (whoever that may be), show him the same loyalty if things don't go so well on the pitch.

Disagree. He's on £90k a week - a salary he simply wouldn't get elsewhere ever again for the rest of his life. He would've required a significant payout if sacked. If Derby stayed up, he's a hero. If Derby went down (as they have done), he goes out as a hero. If Derby liquidate, he goes down as a hero and potentially gets another Championship / League 1 club to manage.

It was a win-win-win scenario for Rooney to stay. It says absolutely nothing about his character, which is accurately displayed by the disgusting manner in which he treats his family (vast cheating evidence / embarrassing behaviour).

Rooney will be out of the door at Derby as soon as his contract is up.

• @frequentstander said:

@mooneyman said:

@Raminpeace said:

@Raminpeace said:

Disagree. He's on £90k a week - a salary he simply wouldn't get elsewhere ever again for the rest of his life. He would've required a significant payout if sacked. If Derby stayed up, he's a hero. If Derby went down (as they have done), he goes out as a hero. If Derby liquidate, he goes down as a hero and potentially gets another Championship / League 1 club to manage.

It was a win-win-win scenario for Rooney to stay. It says absolutely nothing about his character, which is accurately displayed by the disgusting manner in which he treats his family (vast cheating evidence / embarrassing behaviour).

I thought his salary was being covered by the sponsors tbh, not sure if that is confirmed. Drawing that kind of wage while the club shirks it's debts is a bit obscene. He has stood by them though and his reputation will be enhanced.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@frequentstander said:

@mooneyman said:

@Raminpeace said:

@Raminpeace said:

I thought his salary was being covered by the sponsors tbh, not sure if that is confirmed. Drawing that kind of wage while the club shirks it's debts is a bit obscene. He has stood by them though and his reputation will be enhanced.

And to be fair he has done an excellent job motivating the players.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@frequentstander said:

@mooneyman said:

@Raminpeace said:

@Raminpeace said:

It's highly likely that his salary will be paid on the basis that he stays at 32Red-sponsored Derby County.

• I love the suggestion of degrees of obscenity!

• If Derby cut their cloth accordingly all they’ve got to ‘look forward to,’ next season is watching a team of has-beens and hopefuls getting turned over at Cambridge and Forest Green while they slide towards a second successive relegation.

Any other expectations either don’t take Derby’s plight seriously enough, or are unaware of the realities of life outside the top two divisions.

• @frequentstander said:

@mooneyman said:

@Raminpeace said:

@Raminpeace said:

While your general sentiments sort of stack up, your comment on Rooney's future wage doesn't.

How do you know he won't earn the same or more again?

He was rumoured to be wanted by Everton who pay Lampard 5m a year.
    Even Hodgson is meant to be on 4.5m a year at Watford!

• @micra said:
    I love the suggestion of degrees of obscenity!

@Malone said:

@frequentstander said:

@mooneyman said:

@Raminpeace said:

@Raminpeace said:

While your general sentiments sort of stack up, your comment on Rooney's future wage doesn't.

Plus, if you get appointed at Watford on £4.5m a year, your guaranteed to get the full salary in a few months when given the boot!

• @mooneyman said:

Plus, if you get appointed at Watford on £4.5m a year, your guaranteed to get the full salary in a few months when given the boot!

The Watford job has to be one of the best in football. A few months work for a couple of years salary - where do I sign up??

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:

@mooneyman said:

The Watford job has to be one of the best in football. A few months work for a couple of years salary - where do I sign up??

at the end of the yellow brick road.

• @YorkshireBlue said:

@Guppys_Left_Leg said:

@mooneyman said:

If you’re still standing

• Whilst no great fan of Rooney the man, especially given disclosures of his treatment of his wife & family, I understand from my contacts that he has been the only member of Derby's wider management structure to check on staff, put "an arm round their shoulders" etc. as well as the clear impact he has had on keeping not only the footballing but wider staff focused on trying to get the best out of a shit situation.

I genuinely believe that if he says he will stay, then he will do so

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@YorkshireBlue said:

@Guppys_Left_Leg said:

@mooneyman said:

If you’re still standing

How quickly will you get fired? Like a Rocket, Man.

• It's worth the Sacrifice.

• @Malone said:

@frequentstander said:

@mooneyman said:

@Raminpeace said:

@Raminpeace said:

Get your calculator out and put it through your calculator.... lol. £4.5m is less than £90k a week (assuming both are gross). Rooney isn't walking into a top 8 Premier League (i.e. comparable to Everton) manager salary after Derby.

• edited April 2022

@frequentstander said:

@Malone said:

@frequentstander said:

@mooneyman said:

@Raminpeace said:

@Raminpeace said:

Get your calculator out and put it through your calculator.... lol. £4.5m is less than £90k a week (assuming both are gross). Rooney isn't walking into a top 8 Premier League (i.e. comparable to Everton) manager salary after Derby.

A few k out of 90 aside, he literally could have taken the exact job at Everton, no doubt on the same money as Lampard! (5m)

And again, like with Wing, you don't know anything of the sort for certain.

• Derby have managed midtable form under trying circumstances. They definitely put up a valiant fight, but not exactly our top six form from last season's run-in.

I did want them relegated, but now that they are, I am happy to not care about them any more until we (probably) play them next season.

• @Shev said:
    Derby have managed midtable form under trying circumstances. They definitely put up a valiant fight, but not exactly our top six form from last season's run-in.

I did want them relegated, but now that they are, I am happy to not care about them any more until we (probably) play them next season.

Derby would be lower mid table without the deduction and didn’t have to sell more than a small handful of squad players to survive the season whilst others waited for money. Their form was partly due to their position. They’ve cheated, they continue to cheat and I’m not sure they will stop with any new owner.