Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• What punishment for stiffing local businesses and not paying your taxes:

• So the taxpayer bails out DCFC, while they owe £28 million. YCMI

• I’m sure the council tax payers of Derby will be willing to sacrifice a few bin collections, lollipop ladies, or meals on wheels deliveries to ensure Mel isn’t left out of pocket.

• @TwinBrother said:
    So the taxpayer bails out DCFC, while they owe £28 million. YCMI

The taxpayer subsidises West Ham's stadium on a much bigger scale, so why not Derby's!

• They owe the council rates. If I was a non football fan in Derby I would be fecking fuming. Especially if it enables a bunch of highly paid players to join the ranks.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    They owe the council rates. If I was a non football fan in Derby I would be fecking fuming. Especially if it enables a bunch of highly paid players to join the ranks.

Why don't HMRC just take the stadium and let Derby rent it on the cheap for a few years? Struggling to see how the council buying the stadium from Morris helps Derby anyway.

• The only way it could help is if the council were leasing it back to them at a loss, in which case it would absolutely be at the cost of other council services. Like, you know, feeding school kids and stuff.

• edited April 2022

Is there a more credible source for this than Nixon?

• Local businessman stiffs local businesses, charities and tax-payers. A local club for local people!

• Who is he? I clicked through to his Twitter bio and I'm none the wiser.

• @drcongo said:
    Who is he? I clicked through to his Twitter bio and I'm none the wiser.

Sun hack

• Ugh. Gross.

• Derby County is the studio guest on MNF tonight

• Monday night football

• It's not a proper post on the Gasroom WWFC forum unless it contains at least one acronym or initialism

• That's BGK

• ISWYDT

• We need a gasroom thread containing all of these acronym decodes for us old farts. A sort of Gas Wordle.

• edited April 2022

@ValleyWanderer said:
    We need a gasroom thread containing all of these acronym decodes for us old farts. A sort of Gas Wordle.

Could call it the GAG?

• ?‍♂️?‍♂️

• Which stands for...?

• This thread is NBTWWG.

• This is funny, they've mostly spent the last couple of months slagging him off since he pulled out of talks and told them some home truths

• @TwinBrother said:
    This thread is NBTWWG.

I agree, if you say so. TTFN

• ...and it's closing in on 200K views (3k+) comments! OMG!

• @TwinBrother said:
    So the taxpayer bails out DCFC, while they owe £28 million. YCMI

No different to any other insolvent company who reach an agreement with creditors to accept less than the debt. Having said that, it's a huge tax bill that hasn't been paid. The club should never have run up a tax bill that size and HMRC should never have allowed it to get that big. Only two people to blame here, Mel Morris for being behind the running up of the bill and Stephen Pearce, the MD, who ought to have pulled Morris up on his massive overspending and reckless management.

There are other businesses to take into consideration as well as those owed money. The bars, restaurants and some shops who benefit greatly from home games and the burger etc vendors outside the ground, all of whom will lose revenue and, as a consequence, pay less tax.

At the moment we don't know how much Kirchner is offering. Will it cover the minimum to pay the 100% to football creditors and a minimum of 25% to non-football creditors? If it doesn't then that will be a 15 point deduction next season when we exit administration.

I'm just thankful that the rumours of the past week that MM would be making a last ditch bid to take back control appear to be no more than a rumour.

Happy with Kirchner? Undecided. When he dropped out in December he had made a bid, then upped it and then put a deadline on his bid. When Quantuma refused to be rushed as their number 1 responsibility is to get as much as possible for the creditors he cut and ran. Quantuma probably believed they could get more from one of the other interested parties. If getting the max possible for the creditors means liquidation then so be it. Hopefully any deal will give the creditors more than liquidation would. I'll believe it when it's official and not before. Basically, it's a huge mess and I just hope I have a club to support next season, whatever League we are in.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    This is funny, they've mostly spent the last couple of months slagging him off since he pulled out of talks and told them some home truths

Cynically, I reckon that timing is this:
    The time is short enough and Kirchner has already the credibility to be able to threaten to walk away and so the whole business can be strung out to the time when it is known whether they are relegated or not. Kirchner would be in driving seat when relegation status, stadium deals, points deduction deals are all known factors for the value of the club - which will by then amount to two beans and the brand loyalty of the supporters. Remember Wayne Rooney belongs to Red 32.

What a mess has been made by the most shameful piece of time wasting I have ever seen associated with a football club and what a way to treat the Derby fans. They are going to struggle next season wherever they are playing, unless they are a phoenix club and even then they could be beholden to ground owner Mel Morris.

Real credit to those Wycombe fans who fought not to be in the same situation.

• Rooney's comments last night on MNF about 'needing 40 players' for next season just shows that Derby (if they do survive) will learn little and repeat the same set of mistakes.

It beggars belief that anyone can make those statements when many local businesses are going to have to right off £1,000's of money owed to them.

It really just show how 'up it's own ar&e" football (at the higher / perceived higher end of the pyramid) has become