Skip to content

Match day thread: Watford

Comments

• Bit more mobility up front now !

• Ironic from what Derek Rae was saying on Twitter today and pronouncing names and respect

• @peterparrotface said:
    Ironic from what Derek Rae was saying on Twitter today and pronouncing names and respect

??

• @Chris said:
    He’s no more biased than Bill Turnbull. It is a shame he can’t pronounce Ikpeazu.

The difference is he isn't on for games involving other BBC Radio Watford/Luton games. Phil doing a good job not asking Payne if he's watching the same game.

• @micra said:

@peterparrotface said:
    Ironic from what Derek Rae was saying on Twitter today and pronouncing names and respect

??

I'll dig it out when the game finishes

• Sky commentator: “5 minutes to go and Wycombe are going for it”

……..

• In fairness a lot of our own fans refer to him as Uche so they don't have to spell or pronounce his surname.
    So cutting him a little slack is fair on that.

It's the rest of his performance that's forgettable.

• @drcongo said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    If you want to set up defensively and in tight games Gape at his best is great at getting tackles in and filling in gaps in the defense. Lots of his tackles over the years have been wrongly attributed to defenders.
    Unfortunately he's a bit limited coming forward and when we sit deep in this division we end up getting caught.

See, I know that’s what we’re supposed to think of him. But I don’t see the point in having anyone do that if they immediately give the ball back to the opposition. You want them to also be able to hold on to the ball or pass it to a teammate, and we’ve got plenty of centre mids who can also do that.

I also think he’s more reactive than proactive. He’ll take up a defensive position and wait till the play comes to him. I’d prefer a proactive defensive mid who go and get hold of the ball.

No doubt at all Curtis at his best offers more , probably Namdi too, not convinced any of them have been at their best much this season or how much of that is down to better opposition, no idea at all what happened to Adeniran. Our players aiming skyward and it coming right back with interest is not a new subject on here. Have to wonder how early on in this game the plan was just to try and not get smashed and wether we would have got more wins alongside some hidings if we were more attacking in general.

• Knight aside we haven’t really impressed in the loan market this season

• Lack of slack from me @Malone. Used to have him inflicted on us repeatedly in the car, leaving Adams Park.

• @kiscokid said:
    Knight aside we haven’t really impressed in the loan market this season

Wonder if it would have been any different had Dennis and Muskwe been more involved this season. Possibly not and we’ll never know.

• Not every player we sign will be able to be wycombised.

• So disappointed with tonight’s game. Three at the back for Watford so why did we revert to a formation without wingers?
    No composure whatsoever.

• Their keeper has just wiped Kashket out there?! Or is that just me?!

• @StrongestTeam said:

@drcongo said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    If you want to set up defensively and in tight games Gape at his best is great at getting tackles in and filling in gaps in the defense. Lots of his tackles over the years have been wrongly attributed to defenders.
    Unfortunately he's a bit limited coming forward and when we sit deep in this division we end up getting caught.

See, I know that’s what we’re supposed to think of him. But I don’t see the point in having anyone do that if they immediately give the ball back to the opposition. You want them to also be able to hold on to the ball or pass it to a teammate, and we’ve got plenty of centre mids who can also do that.

I also think he’s more reactive than proactive. He’ll take up a defensive position and wait till the play comes to him. I’d prefer a proactive defensive mid who go and get hold of the ball.

No doubt at all Curtis at his best offers more , probably Namdi too, not convinced any of them have been at their best much this season or how much of that is down to better opposition, no idea at all what happened to Adeniran. Our players aiming skyward and it coming right back with interest is not a new subject on here. Have to wonder how early on in this game the plan was just to try and not get smashed and wether we would have got more wins alongside some hidings if we were more attacking in general.

I’m intensely disappointed by our performance tonight. After two constructive attacking performances, we’ve played hoof all against a team well-equipped to handle it and showed very little cohesion generally. Is it wholly down to the Gape for Mehmeti change and its attendant impact on our shape? I’m minded to think that’s a large part of it. But there’s been a poverty of ambition in our play that bugs me, especially after two performances where individuals have asked and attempted more of themselves with the ball.

• Depends what you mean by involved. Presumably they’re not playing because they’re not able to prove they’re worth a place in the team.

• I am quite disappointed with Horgan on the whole...

• I dont think Muskwe has had a fair crack at it

• @Wendoverman said:
    I am quite disappointed with Horgan on the whole...

Massively. Mehmeti has out performed him with 1% of the fanfare.

• Going to carry on being a bit grumpy. For “Kashket looking lovely” I say “Kashket looking to buy fouls ahead of actually trying to win the ball and failing to get in crosses when in potentially promising positions.”

• @Wendoverman said:

Same here. Hopefully we’ll get most of our money back in the summer.

• @Wendoverman said:

Huge disappointment this season. One goal in the cup one assist in another cup v a reserve side. Can’t think of much else.

• @HCblue said:
    Going to carry on being a bit grumpy. For “Kashket looking lovely” I say “Kashket looking to buy fouls ahead of actually trying to win the ball and failing to get in crosses when in potentially promising positions.”

Agree

• I thought Horgan was good tonight except for over hitting every single cross.

• @Malone said:
    Their keeper has just wiped Kashket out there?! Or is that just me?!

I thought the same @Malone.

• Well played, Watford. Solid performance.

Not at all good enough by us or, more upsettingly, as good as we could be.

• @HCblue said:
    Going to carry on being a bit grumpy. For “Kashket looking lovely” I say “Kashket looking to buy fouls ahead of actually trying to win the ball and failing to get in crosses when in potentially promising positions.”

When the keeper ran out and knocked him in the head, I thought that looked on the lines of a pen.
    But as noone else mentioned anything about it, maybe it was just me.

Or maybe everyone had gotten weary over such a non game by then.

Am at the point now where I'm not finding these games much fun, and it's more a duty to be honest.

• @micra said:

@Malone said:
    Their keeper has just wiped Kashket out there?! Or is that just me?!

I thought the same @Malone.

Ah good. I thought I was going mad when logging in and no-one gave it a second's mention.

• Was Kashket offside maybe?