Skip to content

Match day thread: Watford

167891012»

Comments

• Blackburn have turned it round, about 10 minutes to go.

• It almost hurts more - if we had won last week we would have an opportunity to get within 4 points of safety!

• Which would have got all our hopes up and prolonged the agony.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Must admit, I think the Luton result will count as my most disappointing...I know we did not play that well, but to have held onto that lead would have been a highlight of the season for me.

Surely, day 1 of the season was the most disappointing by far.
    Facing the sure to be other crappest team in the division, at home.

Losing it, and in a cruel last min way, was a massive dent in confidence from day 1, for all the "just 1 game" talk, was a massive sign from the off.

• Peterborough leading in L1. They are pulling away from Sunderland, together with Hull. Could be quite an interesting division for big sides next season if Rotherham catch Derby and you have Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Ipswich, Charlton, Portsmouth and the mighty Wycombe all in League One!

• Northampton equalize...hope for Sunderland.

• @Shev said:
    Peterborough leading in L1. They are pulling away from Sunderland, together with Hull. Could be quite an interesting division for big sides next season if Rotherham catch Derby and you have Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Ipswich, Charlton, Portsmouth and the mighty Wycombe all in League One!

While it would nice to renew the bitterness with Sunderland, it's probably best for our hopes if they come up. Them or Portsmouth anyway. Huge clubs who are near to guaranteed to be in the mix whatever dodgyness their owners and big name players produce.

• @Malone I agree. I am sick of both of them, and despite the annoying shouts of "justice is done!" I would prefer them both out, especially as Sunderland have new money and might well sweep all before them if they don't get out this season.

For anyone talking casually of yo-yo'ing, just going over some of the potential rivals outlines the scale of that task!

• edited April 2021

@Shev said:
    @Malone I agree. I am sick of both of them, and despite the annoying shouts of "justice is done!" I would prefer them both out, especially as Sunderland have new money and might well sweep all before them if they don't get out this season.

For anyone talking casually of yo-yo'ing, just going over some of the potential rivals outlines the scale of that task!

Yep. While I think/hope we'll be competing for the playoffs, it doesn't hurt us to remember that we've had only 2 season in league 1 in around 10 or so years.

One of those seasons we didn't stay up by a great margin.

• I have always felt uncomfortable with predictions that we could be a yo-yo club in the top two divisions of the EFL. You can never predict what is going to happen in football (who thought that we would be in the Championship?) as off field circumstances change. New investment can turn mid-table clubs into promotion contenders, and big clubs can struggle if they get into financial problems.
    If we go down, we will be in a better position on and off the field than we were when we won promotion, but nothing is certain.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Which would have got all our hopes up and prolonged the agony.

Do you like football?

• @glasshalffull said:
    I have always felt uncomfortable with predictions that we could be a yo-yo club in the top two divisions of the EFL. You can never predict what is going to happen in football (who thought that we would be in the Championship?) as off field circumstances change. New investment can turn mid-table clubs into promotion contenders, and big clubs can struggle if they get into financial problems.
    If we go down, we will be in a better position on and off the field than we were when we won promotion, but nothing is certain.

Might sound brave, or even like playing down earlier largess to admit that now that we seem close to confirming the inevitable but in L1 next year we'd still be up against those who went down with us, and whoever remains of Pompey, Sunderland, Charlton, Posh, Hull, Blackpool, Ipswich , Oxford etc, I'm sure we'd compete well against them but have not shown any likelihood of outspending any of them and would be set for a good battle but far from favourites.

• Realistically, I don’t expect to be watching Championship football at Adams Park in my lifetime, which is sad of course but is as much a reflection of age and health as it is of the potential for Wycombe to step up again. I would expect at least one mid-table finish in League 1 in the meantime.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Which would have got all our hopes up and prolonged the agony.

Do you like football?

I forget that tongue-in-cheek doesn't always translate well online.