Skip to content

Match day thread: Watford

Comments

• @drcongo said:
    That was a very good goal.

I have to say, and I think this might be sacrilege to many on here, but I just don’t get Dominic Gape. Almost every time I watch him play I’m wondering what his role is. I’d have Thommo or Dennis in ahead of him every time.

Snap.

• Here’s something that annoys me, you can’t say no more little Wycombe and then roll out smallest budget in championship history when we’re losing.

• @Shev said:
    Congrats to Derek Payne on winning that competition to be a commentator for the day.

Well he got to sit in the chair anyway.

• @floyd said:
    Here’s something that annoys me, you can’t say no more little Wycombe and then roll out smallest budget in championship history when we’re losing.

Not even when the goalscorer cost £40m?

• Gape's had such a stop start season, it's probably not surprising he's not at top form.

But he's probably a good league 1 player and one of a fair few not really up to this level.

• Was thinking the exact same about Gape. Not sure he would get into my preferred XI.

• @Malone said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@HCblue said:

Just seen Chairboys on the Net reference Stockdales double save and then seen the iFollow stats of no saves by either keeper.

Stats don't work

They do if they are correctly recorded as I think they were here. Stockdale didn't save either shot, did he? Both blocked by defenders.

Are you questioning the excellent Chairboys on the Net?

Don't fancy your chances

Are you watching the game out of interest, or just reading updates online?

Double screening. It's the way forward so I am told

• @drcongo said:
    That was a very good goal.

I have to say, and I think this might be sacrilege to many on here, but I just don’t get Dominic Gape. Almost every time I watch him play I’m wondering what his role is. I’d have Thommo or Dennis in ahead of him every time.

Sadly in agreement. Loved him in League 2 and 1, in this league it's been proven we need someone to get their foot on the ball and look for a pass, which isn't Gape's game at all.

• Ifollow has gone for me, missed the last 10 minutes

• @StrongestTeam said:

@floyd said:
    Here’s something that annoys me, you can’t say no more little Wycombe and then roll out smallest budget in championship history when we’re losing.

Not even when the goalscorer cost £40m?

I just think we need to pick one.

• “Wycombe’s midfield a little bit all over the place” Most astute observation by Mr Pain so far.

• I’m surprised to find I’m not alone on this. And actually, I think tonight is one of his better games, but even tonight he’s been largely missing from everywhere you would see Thompson nipping in, shielding the ball and creating time for the team to get forward.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Malone said:

@HCblue said:

Just seen Chairboys on the Net reference Stockdales double save and then seen the iFollow stats of no saves by either keeper.

Stats don't work

They do if they are correctly recorded as I think they were here. Stockdale didn't save either shot, did he? Both blocked by defenders.

Don't fancy your chances

Legend. Same here.
    Although there is the temptation to do something else on the other screen if the action is poor.

• So Payne said that JJ was unfortunate to accidentally clip their winger but that it should nevertheless have been a penalty. Then he says Grimmer was 'caught', but unintentionally and therefore it shouldn't have been a free kick. How can he get away with such inconsistency??

• @Malone said:

@Malone said:

@HCblue said:

Stats don't work

Don't fancy your chances

Legend. Same here.
    Although there is the temptation to do something else on the other screen if the action is poor.

You can’t wank when the football’s on mate.

• If you want to set up defensively and in tight games Gape at his best is great at getting tackles in and filling in gaps in the defense. Lots of his tackles over the years have been wrongly attributed to defenders.
    Unfortunately he's a bit limited coming forward and when we sit deep in this division we end up getting caught.

• Batting above their weight is a new one for me (I don’t think Payne has been that bad!)

• What compelling (good) reason is there that multiple subs can’t be made simultaneously a la rugby and pretty much every other sport?

• He’s so biased - he’s an utter prick

• If we get relegated and Watford get promoted, there will be the massive silver lining of a two division gap between us and Derek Payne's commentary.

• Come on, Wycombe. Let’s put some passes together. This is trying stuff, isn’t it?

• Their passing accuracy must be quite high. They can pick a pass out, that’s for sure. Even their long balls are incredibly accurate.

• Shortened to Pay Zoo there.

• He’s no more biased than Bill Turnbull. It is a shame he can’t pronounce Ikpeazu.

• Phil pronounces it correctly and payne says it wrongly straight after phil does he not listen. Phil too polite to correct him I would say.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    If you want to set up defensively and in tight games Gape at his best is great at getting tackles in and filling in gaps in the defense. Lots of his tackles over the years have been wrongly attributed to defenders.
    Unfortunately he's a bit limited coming forward and when we sit deep in this division we end up getting caught.

See, I know that’s what we’re supposed to think of him. But I don’t see the point in having anyone do that if they immediately give the ball back to the opposition. You want them to also be able to hold on to the ball or pass it to a teammate, and we’ve got plenty of centre mids who can also do that.

I also think he’s more reactive than proactive. He’ll take up a defensive position and wait till the play comes to him. I’d prefer a proactive defensive mid who go and get hold of the ball.

• Pitch looks nice

• Isn't it, you know, his JOB to learn these names? So sloppy.

• Blimey, even Phil’s at it now. Itchy pea ay zoo. Think he said Uche but forgot the Ik.

• @LX1 said:
    Pitch looks nice

Said the ball as it was punted 40 yards in the air.