Skip to content

Bizarre transfer rumors thread

Comments

• Latest link: Ryan Tafazolli at Hull (Football Insider were right about McCarthy and Stockdale in January). LCB so would fill a key need. Ex-Peterborough too... https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-wycombe-wanderers-plot-move-to-sign-hull-city-defender/

• Have we signed him? Slightly concerned that we may have signed another striker with a poor goal scoring record. It’s not about number of strikers , it’s about getting one who will score goals on a regular basis.

• Considering he's looking to move closer to home in Cornwall, I'd assume not.

• Apparently we paid £600k for Cooke (a free agent) according to twitter. Even Cooke says its Bollocks.

• Wycombe is definitely nearer to Truro than St Mirren is.

• Was going to say! Wycombe probably is within the closest 10% of clubs to there isn't it?
    Almost next door compared to Scotland.

• @davecz Are your August posts about signing a 50 goal striker on some kind of scheduled autopost every year?

• Tafazolli sounds 100% more feasible than Cody Cooke. Thomas Cooke in with a better chance.

• I always thought Tafazoli was excellent for Peterborough, a real Jamie Bates powerhouse type of centre half.

• I always considered Jamie Bates to be a cultured, ball playing centre half myself

• Bates could certainly pass a ball, but he was dominant in the air and strong as an ox, and great reader of the game.
    Not the quickest, but neither is Tafizoli.

• Tafazolli is an absolute man mountain as well, would dwarf Anthony Stewart.

• Bates could hit a mean free kick as well (which made his powder puff penalty at Selhurst Park all the more surprising)

We had some great centre halves around that time. Forsyth was pure class, McCarthy a bona fide Wycombe legend, and Jason Cousins when we moved to 5 at the back never let us down

• I remember Nathan Ellington doing an interview saying how much Bates power bothered him.

• How well did Bates play in that FA Cup semi final? An amazing performance

We were lucky to have him really

• I remember Bates original Wanderers debet at Hayes Lane Bromley in 86.
    He was a mere slip of a lad in comparison to when he returned nearly a decade later.

• Lee Camp would be a safe pair of hands.

• Irvine would be a dream, but we wouldn't get anywhere near any of them in terms of wages.

• Yeah, I guess this is the issue, free agent or not, if they have the skills they demand remuneration. The longer time goes before they are picked up the better for us imo

• @mooneyman said:
    Lee Camp would be a safe pair of hands.

Fans of his previous teams would probably disagree with you there! He's incredibly error prone.

• I have a lot of faith in Rocky to do the job behind our back four, the main man on my wishlist is a CB to cover for Mango Man for the mid-weekers.

I really do think our squad can have a go in the second tier, looking forward to seeing them at it!

• @micra said:
    I don’t think the Couhigs or GA have the slightest intention of budgeting for relegation. And the destabilising potential of one or two players being paid considerably more than the rest was implicit in my second post and specific in the original one. I agree that maintenance of the ethos cultivated over a long period of time is paramount.

From Close Quarters - Quotes from Pete Couhig:
    "Was Wycombe ready for that? "F*** yes, we're ready." How? "Because we're prepared to yo-yo." The idea was that should Wycombe spend one season a level up they would budget for an immediate return to League One. "But nothing is impossible. The goal would be to try to achieve survival with the lowest budget in the god-damned history of the Championship."

• edited August 2020

@NorsQuarters said:
    I have a lot of faith in Rocky to do the job behind our back four, the main man on my wishlist is a CB to cover for Mango Man for the mid-weekers.

I really do think our squad can have a go in the second tier, looking forward to seeing them at it!

Allsop has earned the right to be number 1 imo, but his lack of command is still a concern. He definitely needs some proper competition for that spot - something he's never really had in his whole time here.

• We can get a better keeper than Allsopp without breaking the bank, in my opinion.

As I've always said, I would always go out and get the highest quality loan keeper we can get every season

• Important for Yates to go out loan (probably National League or NL North/South) and get some game time this season. As long as we can recall him in an emergency, I don't see an issue with only having two 'keepers (Allsop and probably a loanee).

• @chairboyscentral said:

@mooneyman said:
    Lee Camp would be a safe pair of hands.

Fans of his previous teams would probably disagree with you there! He's incredibly error prone.

He must have played for a lot of crap managers then.

You don't rack up 540 games in the Football League (mostly in the Championship) without having some modicum of ability!

• Lee Camp is as inconsistent as they come I think, hence his regular moves. I would, myself, retain our present back five and recruit some back-ups.