Skip to content

Bizarre transfer rumors thread

Comments

• Agree about competition (and cameraderie) playing a role, and that we could get a new face in but I admire Rocky's consistancy and how he tackles the big moments, not letting the occasional setback (e.g. giving away the pen in the playoffs) to get in the way of stellar performances playing their part in taking us up to the Championship.

Get another keeper in by all means but consistency is key, and Rocky has displayed that... well, consistantly

• He's a good shot stopper but not a lot else and makes too many mistakes - and he's about to turn 36.

• It's funny with keepers isn't it.
    Good shot stopper often seems to be used as some sort of back handed compliment, when surely it's the most important thing for a keeper? Stopping the ball going in?

• Rocky absolutely proved his worth in the second leg and at Wembley. This shirt's his to lose at the moment.

• edited August 2020

Long distribution is a big thing for us and that's probably Allsop's biggest strength - in the age of playing out from the back, I'm not sure how many GKs there are with such accuracy with long kicking, which is key to the way we play. He can put it on a sixpence but also knows when to 'just get it up there' - it kind of won us the play-off final. He seems to go through short spells of errors whereas Camp makes them with worrying regularity. Maybe we could do better, but I don't think we're in desperate need.

• No issue with the potential signing of Tafazoli, I think he would be a good addition to the squad and a useful option as a 3rd 'starting XI' quality CB.

See that he was one of the lucky 3 brought on at half time when Hull were 7-0 down to Wigan, and only conceded the one additional goal in the 2nd half. Started their last 2 games of the season but I think their situation was already terminal by that stage.

Plus he's absolutely massive and would surely rival Uche in the 2nd strongest Wanderer competition

• @Croider said:
    No issue with the potential signing of Tafazoli, I think he would be a good addition to the squad and a useful option as a 3rd 'starting XI' quality CB.

See that he was one of the lucky 3 brought on at half time when Hull were 7-0 down to Wigan, and only conceded the one additional goal in the 2nd half. Started their last 2 games of the season but I think their situation was already terminal by that stage.

Plus he's absolutely massive and would surely rival Uche in the 2nd strongest Wanderer competition

Wow 6ft 5 apparently if Wiki is true!

As long as they're vaguely mobile, it's always good to have some extreme aerial power like that.

• @drcongo - glad to see you are keeping up with the plot. We need a proven goal scorer to survive. I know it’s a massive challenge bearing in mind our finances but there may be an experienced pro available on a free or a young loanee out there somewhere. Always good to have a wish list at this time of pre season !!!

• Defender incoming according to the official twitter...

• Erm... wow? That is unexpected.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Important for Yates to go out loan (probably National League or NL North/South) and get some game time this season. As long as we can recall him in an emergency, I don't see an issue with only having two 'keepers (Allsop and probably a loanee).

Then again, he could stick around and get plenty of B team game time

• edited August 2020

Post removed as was on wrong thread. Duh!

• @therabbittest said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Important for Yates to go out loan (probably National League or NL North/South) and get some game time this season. As long as we can recall him in an emergency, I don't see an issue with only having two 'keepers (Allsop and probably a loanee).

Then again, he could stick around and get plenty of B team game time

Unless we quickly rack the signings up, there won't be much of a B team!

• How many games will the “B” team play and against whom ?

• @ChasHarps said:
    I remember Bates original Wanderers debet at Hayes Lane Bromley in 86.
    He was a mere slip of a lad in comparison to when he returned nearly a decade later.

Doff of cap. I was there (always a good away trip) but have absolutely zero recollection of him playing

• Would he be that sort of second choice winger or something on those lines?

• Would like to see this happen. Judging by his stats from last season and the adulation he's received from Oldham fans, there's certainly talent there.

• Is that Rolando Aaron's in one of the pictures? Unsurprisingly not wanted by the toon for next season, might be training with us, might be someone completely different

• I have heard Andre Green may have been one of the triallists

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Is that Rolando Aaron's in one of the pictures? Unsurprisingly not wanted by the toon for next season, might be training with us, might be someone completely different

He's still under contract at Newcastle

• @chairboyscentral said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    Is that Rolando Aaron's in one of the pictures? Unsurprisingly not wanted by the toon for next season, might be training with us, might be someone completely different

He's still under contract at Newcastle

Not for long though...

https://www.nufcblog.com/2020/08/21/370069/

• Aarons has to be championship standard, but he didn't really do enough last year. Just staying fit for a month in a row seemed hard.

• Thanks for the link @Vital . Interesting to see this pov on surplus players under contract but basically being told to find a new team to play for.

What does"it's not his fault" mean in this context?

I would have Rolando back to fight for a place next season for sure if he is willing to fight for the cause. A quicker pass to add to those great runs and we'd have ouselves a live wire*

*Fitness permitting

• I expect the players were signed/offered deals before Bruce was in charge. As an over 23 player they won't be registered for the PL squads. Pretty much a deflective way of Bruce saying "He doesn't fit my style"

• Bloated squads, bad planning and changes of management and opinion. Anyone know when the Prem squad deadline is? We could be well placed to swoop for bargains then.

• Even if that's true, why would we pay a fee for someone who's not an upgrade on what we've got? Especially when we can go out and get a loanee or maybe Stockdale.